This would not be popular...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nicg4360, Feb 16, 2018.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Does anyone feel that Mac would trade up from the second to grab Like Falk. I'm not saying I want this but Mac does not pic QBs at the top of the first that we have seen. Falk is looked at as a highly accurate, productive, good team player who knows how to win. Good size wise etc. I could see this play out. This would probably make some people rage but if they sit at 6 and the top 3 - 4 are off the board who knows. It's been said Mayfield is not Macs prototypical type of QB. Maybe sign Cousins and let Falk develop?

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If they sign Cousins I don't see this happening because presumably they'd be counting on him to be the FQB for at least 5 years, and they're not going to use a high draft pick on a guy for him to sit on the bench for 5 years.

But if they don't get Cousins, and they don't take a QB with their 1st pick (which, unless they've taken Barkley, or Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield are all gone by 6, will probably send me over the edge), as of now I would love to see them trade back into the 1st round to get Falk. I'm reserving my final verdict to see how some others are viewed, like Jackson, Rudolph, White, and a few others.

CotcheryFan, nicg4360 and westiedog1 like this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He may not pick QB's at the top of the draft, but his record on picking QB's in the later rounds for development isn't so stellar. With a high draft pick at 6, a half dozen or so highly rated QB's entering the draft, and with enough ammo to move up if he wants to, does he really want to roll the dice on another developmental project? I sure as hell hope he doesn't!

Sam Hammer, CotcheryFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I don't think Falk is "developmental". True, he might need a little time on the bench, but first year starter isn't out of the question, especially if they surround him with some weapons and upgrade the OL. Of course that's a very BIG if.

5. westiedog1

If he needs time on the bench. then he's developmental.

6. nicg4360

I agreed with everything that is said I just was curious about some fans mindsets if the top 4 were off the board when it came to their pick. I like Falk but I think he needs a year but not more. If he used FA properly he could really set up a nice offence for Falk to build with if he got someone like Barkley at 6. Interesting potential offence. It's all talk but who knows until the combine when values go up and down.

7. nicg4360

How many QBs start day 1? Rosen maybe... If Darnold sits for 3-4 games before he starts does thst make him developmental?

8. ColoradoContrails

Look, I want the QB Messiah - the guy who steps on the field Day 1 and launches a HOF career, but how many have done that? a

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d have no problem with a Barkley/Nelson/Williams at 6 and falk at the top of the 2nd or trading back to the bottom of the 1st.

BomberJet, Pepsiguy5 and nicg4360 like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Falk is not a 1st/2nd round type prospect. He's more like a 3rd/4th round guy. His arm strength is very questionable and his mobility is limited which is why he took 125 sacks in college. That's a lot of sacks.

He also plays in a total Air Raid, the Mike Leach version and 3/4's of his throws were under 10 yards.

After a very hot 6-0 start in which Falk threw 19 TD's and 2 Int's the Cougars went 3-3 down the stretch with Falk throwing 11 TD's and 11 picks over the second half of the season.

The comparable player in recent Jet's history is Geno Smith, although Geno had a stronger arm and was more mobile.

The book on Falk is that he throws off his back foot too often on the 25% of passes that go more than 10 yards and that's where the picks come from.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

And on a Historical note ..

the Falkland Islands are a remote South Atlantic archipelago which was invaded by Argentina and p/o'd the Brits who sent in the a Royal Marines in 1982

kevda5n9ne and Br4d like this.
  12. nicg4360

Good to know so I think it's imperative we either sign Cousins or get one of the top 4 and sign McCown for a year while they learn the ropes.

13. westiedog1

Honestly, I know very little about Falk, so I can't speak much to his abilities. He did look good against USC, but that was early in the year. However, let's assume your "non-developmental" plan is put in place. We must also assume that McCown will be the QB who starts the season because right now there is no one else. Now, what happens if McCown starts off the year 4-0 or 3-1or even 2-2? Are you going to sit him and put in Falk? I don't think you can successfully plan a season that way. In the beginning you have to commit to a starting QB and say he's our guy and get the whole organization behind the decision. If things don't go well, then you can consider bringing in Falk.

It's a little like religion, if you want the Messiah then you take him in the first round, pay the big contract, and commit to him body and soul for better or worse. If you take a guy in the second round, he's more like an Apostle than a Messiah. You will just be generating doubts about his abilities, among the CS, the FO, the players and the fans. It's just like Hackenberg. There was no real money commitment behind his selection, so the Jets could do whatever they wanted with him without consequence.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only Air Raid QB who has come in and done well in his first two seasons is Nick Foles and he had Chip Kelly as his coach when he went off and Kelly gave up on him a season after the great year.

I think Luke Falk is exceedingly unlikely to be a good NFL QB in his first season or two while trying to learn a WCO and how to take snaps under center and read a pro defense after the snap. Air Raid guys all read the defense before the snap and make the determination of who is getting the ball at that point. It's not a gimmick offense, it's just a very predictable one. At the college level that doesn't matter because the opposing players are all young with limited experience against that type of offense. In the NFL the average player is going to jump routes, redirect receivers and generally make that one read QB miserable.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I actually agree with you and your analogy, but there's one exception: if the "apostle" actually proves out to be the "Messiah". Sort of like how everyone thought John The Baptist was the Messiah, but then along came Jesus.

After reading Br4D's post I'm having doubts about Falk, but I also think he has traits that could very possibly work well in a WCO. That said, Jackson might still be available late 1st, or Ferguson or Smith or somebody else might be better a little later. My original point was that IF they can't get a top guy with their first pick, then maybe trading down, getting additional good picks, and still getting a FQB might be possible. It's not my preference by any means, but it might make the most sense.

CotcheryFan, nicg4360 and westiedog1 like this.
  16. westiedog1

Jesus was a high draft choice, the anointed one, and everyone was on board with that from the beginning (except the Romans.) The Apostles were backups. Drafting a QB should work the same way. Amen.

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Why do you say Mac does not pick QBs at the top of the First?
    He tried to trade up to the 1st spot to draft a QB in 2016 didn't he?

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

But it wasn't until they signed a good O line, 3 days before the Easter Sunday game that he really rose from the dead and carried the team. I remember him playing at Nazareth University, he flashed some miraculous ability. The hail Mary, is worth a complete thread all it's own.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

I sure hope God has a sense of humor!:eek:

20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Not sure about Williams though - not until 3rd round - some scouts have questions about hi toughness and he has experienced torn knee meniscus and strained ligaments.

#20 BomberJet, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018