2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Nice to shut out the hated Rangers, but giving up 50 shots on goal is freaking ridiculous. Barzal assists on all three goals and Halak has a personal high of 50 saves in a shutout.

CBG and Red Menace like this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's insane, the forwards dont hit anything out there, it really is a pickup game against the islanders.

How about Doug switching to the left wing lock instead of the forechecking style?

He has to find a way to bottle up the forwards and slow down the rush.

The problem as well is the defense can't clear the puck, so they get stuck in their zone for long periods of time and get tired. I'm surprised they have not come up with a solution to this problem.

JetBlue likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Barzal is special. That alone should be reason for Tavares to stay. A competent GM will find a way to support them.

CBG and Red Menace like this.
  4. statjeff22

Islanders tighten up that defense, getting another 3-0 shutout (this time by Greiss) and only giving up 45 shots! Woo hoo!

Tavares with the easiest goal possible, getting tripped from behind as he was going in on an empty net and being awarded the goal without taking a shot.

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  5. JetBlue

Greiss better hope the league doesn’t ask for a sample after that performance.

stinkyB likes this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Glad they won but 95 shots on goal given up these last 2 games. This really isn't a good team. SNOW MUST GO!!!

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg EXACTLY,,,,,team is horrible especially this defense----I was watching box scores tonight and Dallas beat ST louis tonight and only put 17 shots on net lol the Islanders face 17 shots in 1 period-----not disillusioned SNOW must go and Im not a big Weight supporter

8. JetBlue

Odd to be glad that the Pens and Devils both win but both were in our favor.

9. Red Menace

On an afternoon where they only let 32 shots on goal they still give up 5 goals.

matt robinson 17 and CBG like this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Nick Holden would help!

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Red Menace

I believe they are tuning out Doug weight as well, there is frustration from Doug weight that the top 2 lines are playing beyond their allotted time of 35 seconds.

#1111 Red Menace, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    CBG and matt robinson 17 like this.
  12. statjeff22

It's amazing how quickly the good vibes from the Belmont deal have disappeared. I think it's clear that in general the players don't believe in the vision of the franchise, or even if there is a vision. For a rookie like Barzal that doesn't matter - there's plenty of time to change that for him - but it's absolutely deadly when your uber-franchise player is about to become a free agent.

I've already said how I think Tavares is gone if Snow is not fired, but I'm becoming less and less optimistic that he'll be staying even if they do dump Snow. Why stay and be the face of a franchise that seems clueless and is ranked no better than 7th in your market? The Coliseum was in the heart of Nassau County, and gave a real Long Island identity to the team; they were indisputably Long Island's #1 team, and the players embraced that (my parents ran into Nystrom, Trottier, Morrow, etc., shopping in the Roosevelt Field mall several times over the years, and every time they were happy to stop and chat about things). The changing demographics on Long Island, the decay of the Coliseum, and finally the move to Brooklyn washed all of that away, and I am not at all convinced that moving to Belmont (literally across the parkway from Queens) is going to bring it back.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm definitely leaning in a negative direction.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

JT has zero reasons to stay,,,,if I were him I would be gone. I argue with a friend all the time about how good he is, and if he had a better supporting cast he would be so much better. I could see them trading him but I think he will be gone either way. The owners have not showed me much, its the same ole, and why snow is still here is amazing . So the season ends soon and the owners are gonna keep Snow, let JT walk, and deal with an already disgruntled fan base good luck with that, ps I am not a huge Doug Weight fan,,,,,the time to clean house from top to bottom came and went the owners are asleep at the switch,,,,sad

Red Menace likes this.
  14. JetBlue

As much as I hate to say it, if they can get a haul for JT it’s worth trading him. There’s a reason he hasn’t signed.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I actually think his supporting cast offensively isn't to shabby now. One could argue that Barzal is now the best player on the team. So the Isles have 2 star players offensively as well as a pretty good core around them at least on the 1st 2 lines with Bailey, Lee, Nelson. Scoring goals hasn't been the problem. The defense however is flat out minor league even Leddy has struggled this year. Giving up 40 to 50 shots almost every game is no way to win hockey games. Halak and Greiss have been average at best(mostly Halak) and terrible at their worst(mostly Greiss). The fans are pissed and sent a message to ownership with that billboard near the BC with SNOW MUST GO!! so hopefully L&M do something about that. If they lose JT and keep Snow I may just give up on the Isles until they are serious about winning. I can easily stick with my Jets and Yankees and just watch NHL games that don't involve the Isles. If they don't care why should I and good luck selling tickets next year if Snow stays and JT goes.

16. JetBlue

These mother fuckers!!!!

CBG likes this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

yep,,watching the shootout now

18. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Tavares is absolutely horrible....

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

check that,,,,,,game over

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Just saw that the Rangers have traded Michael Grabner to the Devils for a 2nd round pick and some prospect named Igor Rykor. The Devils are building a good team with Shero as the GM. It must be nice to have a real GM who recognizes his team's needs and goes out and makes moves to improve the club. The Devils get Grabner just in time to face the Isles this Saturday. FU Garth you lazy POS. I can't wait until the day comes when the Isles have a real GM

JetBlue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.