What to look for in a FQB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I came across this article:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/4/5/...deshaun-watson-mitchell-trubisky-6e0d45a52fa5

which I think outlines what to look for when trying to identify which QBs can be FQBs. It's geared towards drafting, but it can apply to those already in the NFL.

The first thing that struck me is, although it was written by a Washington Redskins follower, how you could plug in the name NY Jets and it would be almost identically true. Washington is probably the closest to us in FQB futility. And yet, they're apparently giving up on guy who is absolutely better than anyone they've had in 25 years. Given their track record though that may not mean anything.

The second thing that struck me is that Bill Walsh, who discovered THREE HOF QBs in his time, and a few others who were damn good, had a "recipe" for finding QBs.:

Instead of evaluating what a young QB could bring to his team, Walsh evaluated how a quarterback could excel in his West Coast offense. His cheat sheet demanded the following things: a quick-footed passer; a rhythm thrower; athletic movement; toughness; a winning pedigree; and someone who instinctively knew how to play quarterback. He scouted inside out, not outside in.

There's a lot more in the article that's worth reading. I think it makes a lot of sense to know what you're looking for, and not just taking whoever falls to you and trying to "fix" him or plugging him into your system, which is what the Jets have done (and Redskins). If the Jets are going to stick with the WCO, then they need to find a QB who's got the qualities to do well in it, like Walsh described.

Anyway, enjoy.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think the crib sheet with four to seven bits of criteria would improve the odds of drafting a successful QB by screening out the ones with red flags who fail to check those boxes. Sure you might miss out on the next Kurt Warner or Tom Brady but you weren't going to draft them in the first round anyway we're you?

I can also think that Brett Favre might come short when it comes to the football knowledge test even if his instincts were off the charts.

With all of that said I still think that your odds are still 50% at best. The mental part of the game including reading defenses through four or five progressions, pocket awareness, looking off receivers, and knowing where you can put the ball trusting that your receiver will beat his man to get it is the real trick. Sure, it is easy enough in college but the CBs are several yards off your best receivers and the pass rushers can't catch a cold. In the pros you have only four or five seconds to get the ball into a narrow window that your receiver might have if the safety fsils to help his corner. Even then an unexpected blitz could cut that time in half.

A College QB could look like the second coming of John Elway until an NFL front seven punches him in the mouth. Chad Pennington played injured and was never the same player afterwards. The Joe Montana comparisons did not stop when he got injured but before that when the Raiders overpowered our OL and pressured Pennington up the middle. He was still a solid starter but the Raiders showed other teams that how to rattle him and keeping him from sitting back and picking them apart as he did before then.

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, ColoradoContrails. I really enjoyed reading that article by Michael Lombardi. He's a true historian of the game, who's been around a lot of great minds in football. I couldn't agree more with his 7 essential qualities of a franchise quarterback.

Not to digress, but I believe Michael Lombardi's son Mick Lombardi is part of the Jets coaching staff.

[​IMG]
    Mick Lombardi was named as an offensive assistant | assistant quarterbacks coach on Coach Todd Bowles’ staff on February 7th, 2017. Lombardi joins the Jets after spending the last four years working with SF in a variety of roles. Read more

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Luck. Not Andrew.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I liked the article but it’s definitely through the eyes of a Redskins fan...

What I really found interesting was that one of the best football minds ever Bill Walsh looked for in a QB. The WCO was designed to keep Ds off balance with quick throws and runs outside the tackles. It makes total sense for Bill to be looking for a rythem passer with a quick release from any launch point. Arm strength isn’t as much of a necessity as accuracy and it will always be that way. Now when you have accuracy along with a cannon ala Marino/Favre/Rodgers then you can pretty much run any offence from Joe Gibbs east coast Air Coryell to Al Davis vertical game to Bill Walsh WCO. The next key was football IQ. The QB needs to be the most instinctively intelligent player on the team, this needs to come naturally in my opinion and it’s either you got it or not.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

Thanks in return for that news flash. Hopefully Mick, Jr. brings the knowledge his dad has, added to his own experience and upgrades our coaching ability (Low bar, but still).

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

Brook! likes this.
  8. spinjani

spinjani Member

Very interesting, and it seems he was right about Watson so far.

I also definitely agree about teams thinking they can change players, a la Hack (I admit I still have hope for him, lol).

The next logical step now is to apply these criteria to the upcoming class. Does this disqualify Rosen (my absolute fave) who has a record of 17-13 and probably isn't too beloved by his teammates? Maybe he will drop past the Giants (who should draft Barkley), or maybe they will trade us for #2 (I believe they almost did when Tunsil dropped because of the video of him smoking weed). Does this push Baker, who I think fulfills the 7 criteria more than anyone else higher? I would draft Baker at 6 if Rosen or Darnold weren't there, but should he be ahead of either or both? Any of the lesser known qbs rise in ranking?

I have been looking forward to this draft all season long and I will probably have a seizure if Mac doesn't draft a qb.

9. spinjani

spinjani Member

Lol, I just saw that the Rosen discussion re: this article jumped to another header.

10. ColoradoContrails

Actually I think this article QUALIFIES Rosen. And I'm with you...I hope they somehow can grab him.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wasn't Casserly the GM for all the QBs Washington drafted from 89 up to 2000?

Holy cow, if Mac is a chip off the old block, he will select a dud once again if he's using Casserlys approach to drafting a QB.

We are in trouble men!!

CotcheryFan and Rockinz like this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This article describes Luke Falk to a T!!

Was a walk on who became the starter, that's adversity, had a successful college career, beat 3 of the top QBs in big games for the schools, Allen, Rosen, Darnold.

Lacks cannon for an arm, however has super quick release, goes through progressions well, most accurate passer of all the top QBs in this class, 69% completion percentage.

Soft feet that get him in position to throw the ball on target most of the time and he plays well in the WCO, which I believe the jets still use with Bates as OC.

Quiet guy with good attitude and character, left for his friends funeral instead of thinking about himself and showcasing his skills in senior bowl.

Works out twice a day and follows a very strict diet that helps him keep himself in top physical shape.

I keep telling you guys, he's going to be the best QB to come out of this class when it's all said and done.

If he's not I'll be the first to man up and eat crow!

#12 Red Menace, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    westiedog1, TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I like Falk, and would like to see the Jets get him

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Hopefully, Mac and Co learned from the Hackenberg pick and Allen isn't selected if he's available at 6.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I liked Watson and thought the Jets should have drafted him based on the fact that he kicked butt in the biggest games. The Jets were married to their dumb plan of evaluating Petty and Hackenberg. Thus, they passed on Watson. That's why I have little confidence that they will make the right moves this time.