Can someone explain to me why Josh Rosen isn’t the lock #1 pick?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Feb 1, 2018.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I actually agree and dont care about his attitude or whatever else but it's a HUGE concern to me...Every big hit he takes will have us on pins and needles and he's the least mobile by far. Even if he suffers a few concussions that aren't major, there's gotta be a much better chance that he decides to hang em up early of all players. Just my opinion of course, but it's just the feeling I get

If we were picking first overall and Rosen was the only worthy QB this year, then I'd probably roll the dice. But I just feel like all of these guys are potential franchise QBs so why am I taking the one that to me is extremely risky?

Most likely he's going 1 or 2 anyway, and if we trade up for him I hope it works out...I just personally feel like the better move is Jackson, Mayfield, Allen, or even Darnold standing pat at 6

As for the Trump thing, they won't ever admit it because he has other red flags but you know that's part of the package

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I understand your POV, and probably most people here agree with it, but Rosen just reminds me so much of Namath in his ability that I truly hope we get the chance to see if he can be the Second Coming. Most likely it won't happen, for many of the reasons you gave, and I'll have to hope that whoever they get to play QB is a guy who can carry them on his back.

King Koopa and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head here..

Item 1 is generic to ALL players today imo..and some are ALOT worse than this kid..attitudes like Richardson for example and R Anderson can lead to arrests....but even with this "concern" he is coached into the best QB in college Football !

As to item 2 I like your idea..GET THE KID SOME HELP: FIX THE OL And UPGRADE A RB..

Part of my reason wanting to leave as a fan is for 3 seasons the Jets have done nothing in the draft to really improve the OL..in favor of 2 Safeties?....

Do I want J Rosen as a Jet?? YES..... Do I think we need to trade up to get him ?? YES

I think the real problem will be whether he WANTS TO COME HERE..

The Rosen family and his Agent are not stupid...imo Josh was PUT UP by his advisors to PURPOSELY turn off the Browns from drafting him...a lot like the Mannings telling Eli the Giants were better for his career than SD

If his family are MDs they don't want their kids head made into scrambled eggs..so the the Organization he goes to will be important

LOL its the same scenario with Cousins ..why come here?? Terrible Coach fair Ownership and GM at best..no mandate for winning

Mac will have to take that 100 million and get some YOUNG free agents to help the team and build through the draft..if he doesn't FIX the OL fast and add a RB no decent QB will risk it

That..short of telling QBs that Hackensack Med Center is great and NYU MC only a helicopter ride away lol

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

^ Rosen's parents are from the area.

Also, unfortunately for him, unlike Cousin's he won't have a choice where to play. If Rosen pulls an Eli, then all of the character concerns about him will be confirmed and he will stigmatize himself for the life of his NFL career.

His agent should advise him NOT to do that.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Two QB's have forced trades after being selected #1 and it worked out pretty well for them in the end.

I don't think Josh Rosen is going to go #1 at this point and he'd probably be ok with landing in NY, Indy or Denver so my guess is he just goes where he is picked.

I'm guessing the Browns are going to entertain offers for the #1 pick since the #4 is still in QB range. It might get awkward if they traded the #1 and Rosen was the guy left on the #4.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This basically summarizes how I feel about Rosen. If he pans out, he will be an elite NFL QB on a perennial basis and I think his attitude/personality would play well in NY.

As with any athlete, it's all about his health and durability. Personally, I think he is worth the risk and would pick him #1 overall if given the chance.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No chance browns deal 1. Either they take a qb or they take Barkley because they landed cousins/aj/ a vikings cast off. They will deal the 4 if Rosen is there though. The phone will be ringing off the hook.( not sure how relevant a saying that is anymore but I am going with it)

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What about the article you posted yesterday by Michael Lombardi?

Rosen may be quick-footed and is a rhythm thrower, but imo he's not very athletic and isn't very tough. He missed 9 of 26 games the last two seasons. His pedigree is mixed. I couldn't find the exact statistics but it looks like his career W-L record in games played at UCLA was around 16-14 or 15-15.

A winning pedigree? Again, mixed He led some big comebacks, but also choked and played poorly in other big games

Thick skin? I guess

Work ethic? Questionable

High football IQ? Yes Although his taking crazy risks and just throwing the ball up for grabs when UCLA was behind, casts that in doubt

Instincts? Yes

Positive body language? Questionable

Good teammate? I doubt it

Still think he's such a great prospect?

When coupled with his concussions, and the fact that he's from a rich family and probably spoiled, and could easily walk away from the game if he doesn't like how things go or he gets another concussion? There's no way the Jets should take a risk on him imo.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Rosen & Darnold will separate themselves by the time the draft rolls around with Mayfield slightly behind. If either Rosen or Darnold make it to 3, Jets should be desperately trying to get to 3 before some other team beats them to it.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually the Lombardi article reaffirmed my belief that Rosen would be a great fit for the Jets.

He certainly does have a winning pedigree, as he overcame less than great players around him, and questionable coaching to win games and keep others close.

How can anyone rise to the top of a top Div. I program and have a poor work ethic?

As to poor teammate and not a hard worker, read this:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Texas-AM-Anthony-Hines-Bobby-Brown-115114104
    Rosen's coach, offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch, read things about Rosen that turned out to be less than accurate.

“I’ve learned that he’s extremely hard working,” the well-traveled 40-year-old assistant said. “That he is extremely diligent. That the game is extremely important to him. That his talent level, while special, also has a lot to do with how much he works at it. … I’ve also learned that he can be coached really hard.”

That’s the Rosen the Bruins know. The one who stays after practice to throw extra routes to any receiver who asks. The one who led every player-run practice this summer, 25 in all. The one who buys his offensive linemen dinner every week and orders them personalized gold necklaces with their last names and jersey numbers.

In fact, his teammates defended him after less than flattering articles in various publications.

“I don’t know how people can jump to that conclusion; we all love Josh,” center Scott Quessenberry said. “He comes out every day and he competes hard.”

“A lot of people don’t have that voice but a lot of us are thinking the things he says,” said safety Jaleel Wadood, who also played with Rosen at St. John Bosco. “Some of us don’t say it because they don’t have that platform like he does.”

I know you don't like Rosen, but I'm kind of surprised given some of the things you've posted here, showing somewhat of a "different drum" kind of thinking which Rosen has. Sure, there are concerns, mainly about his concussions, but when you take his physical gifts, combined with intelligence, and his commitment to being on top, often causing him to openly defy those he sees as impediments to winning, I think he's exactly what the Jets need.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's not that I don't like Rosen, just that I have a lot of questions and doubts about him. What you posted above certainly helps alleviate some of those concerns doubts.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

If a coach can't explain why to an intelligent and enquiring mind, I would say the problem lies with the coach.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.