Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Jets777

Jets777 Member

I don't agreed with you about draft the quartback in 2nd round or 3rd round because they will be bust the quartback. We must draft Allen or Mayfield from #6 pick in the 1st round.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not if we sign cousins.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Awesome. No disagreement about Brees being able to help the Jets win. I would love him too. I just don't think he is interested in playing anywhere else.

4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Anyone would like Brees I'm sure but he's at a place everyone loves him on a team that made the playoffs and he will be offered a good contract to play out his last year's....or go to the Jets who went 5-11 and are rebuilding. Yea any 39 year old superstar would want to sign on that.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think this will happen, but could you imagine if the Jets simply resigned McCown and started Hack next year?! McCagnan in a sort of "I'm gonna prove myself" kind of move.

HomeoftheJets and GQMartin like this.
  6. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

The salary cap is only going up. The Jets do not have a lot of long-term contracts at this point, so no, giving Cousins $150 million over 5 years and front loading the deal would not screw up their cap situation in the least.

I too would love to hit on a young rookie QB. I just don't believe in any of the QB's that are going to be there at 6 and I don't believe in trading up to get one this year either. Rosen and Darnold will be gone. I'm not banking on Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

Give me the proven commodity, the top 10 QB who is only going to be 30, and I'll be quite happy filling the roster with what? 4 picks in the Top 100 and another $50-60 million in cap room.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  7. nicg4360

I think one half of that will happen...if cousins does not get signed by the Jets I'm almost certain McCowan will be back as the starter and a QB (hopefully 1st Rd pick) will be worked in the following half of the season.

8. MurrellMartin

Draft Cousins and take someone like Falk in Round 2 or 3. Sit him behind him for 3 years and re-evaluate the position after 2019 or 2020, depending on how Cousins' contract is structured. If they're smart, they'll be able to get out of it with little to no repercussions in 2-3 years.

9. nicg4360

The main reason I am for signing cousins is the Jets inability to ever properly scout/draft a QB and ineptitude to develop QBs. All this talk about his huge contract...think about all the resources time and money the Jets put into finding QBs with nothing to show for it...ever... well since Pennington.

MurrellMartin likes this.
  10. nicg4360

I like that idea....very sensible.

MurrellMartin likes this.
  11. MurrellMartin

Yep.

This organization has proven its inability to develop a QB and this fan base has proven its inability to wait for one.

Signing Cousins and drafting Falk, Rudolph, Lauletta, etc., would take all of the pressure off the young QB and allow him to actually sit there and learn for 2-3 years.

12. nicg4360

Just think just over the past 5-6 years.....2nd 4th and 2nd on QBs. One is now a backup on another team...the other pics are backups with the last second still yet to take a snap. Pics are valuable but it just seems the Jets burn them every time it comes to picking a QB.

13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

People arguing large contracts for QBs are missing the point..if it's your own guy you drafted and you have had success with sure it makes sense....how many times has a high priced free agent QB worked out? Like twice?

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i dont know folks but i would really rather have a drafted, home grown QB stud....for once in my life.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Please don't push me closer to the ledge!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I would only point out that one of the biggest stories of the past couple of years is that the TV ratings are going down. It isn’t a given that the salary cap will just keep going up - that only happens if revenues are going up. If the networks decide that they don’t want to pay billions to show NFL games the cap is going down, not up.

17. nicg4360

Don't worry as long as they keep fixing Patriots games it shouldn't go down to much

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m starting to worry that the Jets might just be bidding against themselves for Cousins or he will use the Browns to raise his price with Jets.

I don’t really see any other teams as realistic options. Unless the Vikes get involved but it sounds like they just may tag Keenum.

I think we all better start wrapping our brains around Kirk Cousins as the Jets franchise QB for the next 5 years at a minimum. Hope they still select one of the second tier QBs in Day 3.

FJF likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its not like Macc is under any pressure to get a QB right? :)

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Not only under pressure to get a QB but under pressure to get a good QB. Lucky for him there happens to be a ready made good QB that he only needs to throw cash at and doesn’t need to rely on a CS that hasn’t proven capable of developing a QB. Also a Qb that he already tried to acquire.

I’ve been following these QBs in the draft for a year now so I feel it would be somewhat of a letdown. But then Cousins would walk into the building and be the best QB the Jets have had in a very long time and it would be nice to cross that off the list of needs for a while.

Hope Mac doesn’t pat himself on the back for fixing the QB spot but makes a real effort to build a legit 2018 offense around him. If he does we can have a team that competes immediately. If he doesn’t well then we will likely have an entire new FO/ CS next year and we better hope we can find someone that likes Cousins as their franchise QB.

FJF and nicg4360 like this.