Netflix TV Shows Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Great American, Apr 2, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Altered Carbon, watch it.

JackBower likes this.
  2. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the first 6 or so episodes. It got a little funky after that. It took a bit of post-processing to try to understand some of why certain characters did what they did.

#62 Cidusii, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    101GangGreen101 and Sam Hammer like this.
  3. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

On another Sci Fi note, Star Trek Discovery has been a really really good watch. It started off a little shaky, and a lot of Trekkies didn't like it because it didn't seem like Star Trek, but the full story arc approach has been really refreshing. Probably the best sci fi show on TV right now to me, beside The Expanse.

I think GoT has started the trend of no longer having sacred characters, which ups the sense of peril whenever people are in dangerous situations.

4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Second that, i liked it a lot.

Here's hoping for a 2nd season

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head.

Altered carbon
    Stranger things
    Mindhunter
    The fall
    Love
    Kimmy schmidt of you like 30 rock humor.
    Making a murderer for documentary
    American vandal of you smoke a lot of weed before.

6. 101GangGreen101

I have an idea on what character you speak of, but will avoid spoilers. Some motives, I think were deliberately not explained so they can make a 2nd season

Cidusii likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

You should try Travelers, you might like it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844/

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this show, but didn't really like the religious themes, they didn't seem to really fit in some places. Too much of that and emotional drama instead of the scifi aspects, but it was still a really good show. It started slow but REALLY picked up near the middle of the season, IMO when they introduced the new character and sent it in the direction they wanted.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, DON'T CLICK BELOW:

I didn't understand the part at the end where there were 2 of him and he had to choose one or the other. Was the other person the real Riker? I don't get why they had to choose, couldn't they put one in a different sleeve? The ending just seemed strange. Hopefully they have another season, but it seemed like the resolved almost everything, but you never know.

#68 Sam Hammer, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

10. 101GangGreen101

SPOILERS DONT CLICK

Kovacs cloned himself, he thought it was a suicide mission, so he wanted to make a backup sleeve for "Ryker" to return to Ortega. The real Ryker is trapped in a "mind jail" he currently has no sleeve due to his crimes which at the end of the season were dropped. Confusing as hell, I know in terms of which Kovacs died. I guess cause they both wanted to bang Bankroft's wife on that island and convince her the search for Bankroft's killer is over. Season 2, who knows what direction they will go into, they shouldn't use Ryker's sleeve anymore, but another sleeve. I still wonder if they will do a season 2

The show in a way was all over the place, but I was still surprised and enjoyed it as you did. It reminded me of a watered down Blade Runner / Black Mirror / Matrix type show.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I don't think it's on Netflix (which I pirate all the time and I don't give a rat's ass), but 'Trial & Error'. This is probably one of the funniest scenes that I've ever seen on television. And John Lithgow's name in the show is Larry Henderson. 'Harry and the Hendersons', a movie I never saw, but haha, I caught it. It got renewed (YAY!). I'm so glad. I loved when John Lithgow wore an OJ jersey. I really enjoyed this show. Steven Boyer was a hoot.

EDIT & P.S.: The whole coma thing was so hilariously funny to me. Getting beat up with a bouquet of flowers, if you've ever been in a coma, you'd be amused.

#71 jetophile, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  12. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

If anyone ever saw The Soup on E!, Joel McHale has a show that is exactly the same sort of thing on Netflix. If you liked the Soup, there is no way you won't like this. Some of the clips are hilarious and McHale has some very funny follow-ups. Some of the skits with the guests are silly, but they always were.

13. 101GangGreen101

Anyone watch Lost in Space?

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Yes, have you watched it yet?

15. jetophile

They're doing a remake of 'Lost in Space'?! That's hysterical. I'll have to check it out. Question, though. Does the show have a serious tone? If so, I probably won't like it. We loved that show growing up, big part of my childhood. This show, 'Dark Shadows', 'Star Trek', 'Batman', 'The Monkeees', none of these shows were in syndication at the time, they were first runs. Back to 'Lost and Space', why were Don and Judy always disappearing? Wink, wink, that's right.

^Haha, there are ton of these out there. We got a 'Robot' for Xmas once, battery operated. It used to flash, and say 'Danger!', the whole magilla. That thing would probably be worth a million bucks today. I did like 'Mind Hunter' an awful lot. I'm sure it's already been mentioned in here, but Holy Crap, the actor who played Ed Kemper was absolutely terrifying. What a great job by Cameron Britton. He was so good and so convincing that I wouldn't want to spend 10 seconds alone in a room with him in real life.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

I saw 8 episodes (was on a plane for 13 hours so yeah ...) I like it so far. Good characters, decent plot too.

Its nothing like Lost in Space from back in the day IMO, its a new spin on it, but i'm enjoying it. What you think Menace?

17. jetophile

Rats, so it does have a serious tone. Oh, well. :/

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like it as well, feel the same way about original versus remake. Trying not to compare too much and just let it flow, see what happens.

IMO Dr. Smith feels forced, with all those smart people around, no one raises any questions?

Love the robot, very Sci-Fi.

13hr plane ride, hope you went to Tahiti.

19. 101GangGreen101

Yeah to answer your question above, let me go into yours just a little bit w/out spoiling.

There is some humor on the show ... but the main premise is pretty serious. The show was big for me too when I was a kid, watching that show and Twilight Zone with my father.

The "Danger" is absolutely done pretty well though for the Robot, so it will bring you back to the old days. Give it a shot, you might really like it, but the humor isn't around nearly as much, but its placed at the right time.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

I freaking wish, I went to Sofia, Bulgaria for work.

I really liked the psychology of Dr. Smith, but I did also feel she was protected by "plot armor"

Red Menace likes this.