Sitting at 6 with these options.... What do you do?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At this point, I'd be ok with Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield. Still not convinced that Jackson is worth taking at 6. Looks like a late 1st rounder at best IMO. I know others disagree.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Don't forget that after Cleveland and the Giants there's the Colts who will either take Luck's successor or quite possibly trade the pick to someone who wants a QB, so all the best QBs may be gone by the time the Jets pick if they themselves can't trade up.

Boy, those 5 wins sure weren't worth the cost.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Giants take Rosen they probably have to clear the way for him by letting Eli go. Not so sure they're ready to do that after the last regime wiped out on the issue.

I'm not sure how Eli would react to a training camp competition and I'm not sure how he would react at any point to being replaced by Rosen next year - and odds are the Giants will want to go to Rosen by mid-season the same way they went to Eli while benching Kurt Warner.

If they take a more developmental QB who is not expected to hit the field this year then they have more leeway with the Eli situation, however why would anybody use the #2 pick on a player they did not plan to hit the field this season?

I know the perception is out there that the Giants will take Rosen or Darnold on the #2 but I think it is in conflict with the perception at this point that Eli and one more run at a ring is where the Giants are headed. Can't do both.

I think the Giants would be fortunate if Blake Bortles passed his physical before his contract became guaranteed by injury. That would give them a face-saving way out for both them and Eli - since they could then trade Eli to the Jaguars for a draft pick and settle in on a QB on the #2.

AlexJETS likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

The Giants might like Webb and believe that he is Eli's successor for all we know.

Red Menace and Br4d like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets are in the drivers seat if the Colts decide to move out of their spot, assuming Cousins goes to Denver. If Cousins goes somewhere other than Jets or Broncos then it’s a race to 3 between Jets & Broncos.

I’d be surprised if Colts traded with any team other than Jets or Broncos and the lure of picking the best non QB may be too strong to move at all. Gonna be very hard for a team like the Cards or Bills to get into top 5.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

A lot of the guys on NFL radio agreed with me.

Allen makes a lot of sense to the Giants.

We can probably work out a trade with the Colts to draft Darnold/Rosen whoever Cleveland doesn’t take.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

Please let this be true. I do not want us to take Allen at 6.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

If the Giants take Rosen, I don't see them making it a competition. I think they're going to stick with Eli as long as he can do it up to a point - maybe 2 years at most - at which time Rosen should be more than ready to step in, sort of like the Favre/Rodgers situation.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Good points, but the Colts will demand a steep price and maybe Macc balks and suddenly here comes Buffalo or the Rams. There is nothing for certain until it happens.

#109 ColoradoContrails, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  10. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I agree you might even have the Cards trade up to #3 or #5

11. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The Giants are in the best position of anyone in the NFL IMO. They could easily compete for a Super Bowl in the next 1-2 years with a few small tweaks to their roster with Eli, and sit back and develop Rosen on the side.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

OG's never deliver Lombardi's on their own. ... But great Offensive Lines do. We need to build a strong OL. We need to be able to pick up 3rd and 1...something we have not been doing at all. Offensive Line will take you where you want to go. You need to build it. No matter what decade you're in.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

LT - 1st Round
    LG - 2nd Round, 3rd Round
    C - 2nd Round, 3rd Round
    RG - 3rd Round+
    RT - Maybe 1st Round, 2nd Round

That's where you should be finding your offensive linemen. Center and Guard are two exceptions to the rule that the guys closest to the ball on every play should be the best paid. CB is the other one, although franchise CB's still win nothing without a franchise QB.

LT is clear value because they play on an island against the other team's best pass rusher.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's 100 per cent right..he HAS TO PAY TGE PRICE>>>>> Worth it

If not I will root elsewhere..50 years of nowhere and I am DONE WITH THIs

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

LT is the most important position, but the best OL have dominant interiors (like you suggested in your post). I would have no problem (if we sign Cousins) drafted Nelson at 6. I'm sick and tired of seeing our OL get pushed back on 3rd and short situations.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I can't disagree about building an OL. Great offensive lines hide bad QB play. Ideally it would be better to have an OL in place before a rookie QB even plays a game. Signing a guy like Jensen combined with Nelson would improve our OL quite a bit

A month ago I thought this was a 2 QB draft class but Mayfield has been growing on me. I want no part of Allen but I can get excited about Mayfield at 6. But, I wonder what will happen to Mayfield's draft stock when /if he measures under 6 feet at the combine.

17. ColoradoContrails

If I liked a guy that 6' 1/2", I'd like him at 5; 11".

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Besides, Mayfield already measured 6'0 at the Senior Bowl. He's not gonna shrink by the Combine.

Noam likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Ahh your right 6 and 3/8.

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

In a perfect world I like your suggestion of trading down in round 1. OMG the jets have SO many needs at SO many positions. However I really believe MM is a poor judge of talent (bad quality for a GM) and he would stockpile picks and choose something stupid like 4 DBs and 3 receivers like he did last year.