Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to JStokes and even abyzmul? Before signing up to post here those were some of the posters I use to get a kick out of reading. This place is still great, but it would be cool to see some of the old posters back to posting.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Jets need to upgrade the OL no matter what. Having Barkley as a weapon makes the job of whoever is blocking easier.

As for the "Tier 2" QB not starting, I don't know who you consider in that group but I'm talking Jackson, Falk, Rudolph, any of whom might start, assuming Bowles grows a pair - big assumption I know. But even if it's McCown, his job becomes that much easier too. Really, if they don't sign Cousins, or trade for Foles, and the Big Three are off the board, Barkley is the best option, and as tbruner said, he might be the best option no matter what.

I REALLY want them to get their FQB, but if they don't get the right guy - and with Macc that's very possible - then they might set the team back years. Not because of lost draft picks or cap space, but because of the "Sanchize Factor". How many fans are STILL pointing to the Jets moving up to draft him, and him ultimately not being the savior, and using that as the excuse to not go hard after a QB (or other offensive weapons)? Last year it seemed every other comment in opposition to drafting Mahomes or Watson referred to the "Big Mistake" of reaching for a QB. Only in their case it wouldn't have been a reach but a godsend. So, as much as I want them to draft a QB, and even move up for the right guy whatever it takes, if it's NOT the right guy it would be worse than not taking one at #6.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the Jets should bring back Geno Smith and have Sanchez as his backup.

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

That would be it for me.

dmw likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Byz is unfortunately perms banned I think. A few of us asked for his pardon to no avail.
    Stokes was banned for saying champ sucks moose cock and refuses to return .

6. playtowinthegame

Well that's unfortunate. Maybe someday he can be unfrozen like Han Solo was in Return of the Jedi. As for JStokes that's on him I guess. Picking in champ is like picking on someone's grampa. :mad: Lol

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

On February 13th, I will have been posting on this website for 14 years. I remember Abyzmul, but I only remember him as being condescending and having an "I know more than you" attitude. It/he was annoying to be honest.

I know nothing about how/why he was banned, but it doesn't shock me at all.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

He created plans to make the starting qb for the Jets better. McCown had his best year because of Bates. Petty and Hackenberg aren't NFL qbs. Both will be out of the league come September. That's not on him or anyone. Can't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually all we can say is Bates couldn't make mountains from those mole hills. It may or may not be on him. I also wonder what his contribution was to McCown's limited success; it could very well simply have been an aberration. Every quarterback has to have his own "career season" once.

10. FJF

Mccowns 2 Best years were with Bates, his year in Chicago and his year here. You can decide how coincidental that was

11. playtowinthegame

Cousins for 150 million and 100 million guaranteed, or Foles for the 49th pick with a signed 4 year extension for 80 million with a super 52 million guaranteed.

12. FJF

just curious, why is the reigning super bowl mvp taking such a discount?

13. playtowinthegame

Foles has had some ups and downs through his career. I highly doubt he will get Garoppolo money. He's more in the Alex Smith extension range after that 2017 season playoff run. One common thread is they are all better qbs than Chokesins, imho.

14. FJF

there’s definitely a hole in the market for average, we can carry this guy qbs that makes it hard to find the right number but I think his agent would definitely make sure he is way above smith. Shiny super bowl ring and such

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've already decided how significant that was. Five years as QB coach or OC, 37-43, no playoff appearances. Coincidence? Who knows?

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

29 years old, poised, accurate, elusive in the pocket, strong arm, I'd get him....doesn't drop passes like Tommy!

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to Foles. 2nd scares me. I like that we'll save some. Foles does really well with a certain system. The Jets would adapt it for him just wonder if he is the right match with Bates. I know with RG3 the run pass option was installed not sure if it was with Cousins. Foles really excels in the RPO. I'm not opposed to it but just worry it won't be a fit.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Flacco had his ups and downs too prior to the SB, how much money did Flacco get for that one playoff run?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seriously guys, Nick Foles is not a franchise QB except in the perfect system tailored to his strengths and with a strong surrounding cast.

Anybody who pays him like a franchise QB had better have a great plan for how to showcase his talents and minimize his weaknesses. Even then paying guys $20M+ a year just doesn't work. That's like having a Pro Bowl caliber player attached to your QB like a Siamese twin and unable to play as a result. It also hinders the QB because you've got a JAG player somewhere on the field with him mucking up the works.

You ever notice how the highly paid QB's always have a problematic offensive line? That's because they're sucking up the cap space that would be used to improve it. If the OL is strong then the defense sucks.

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah and we can all agree, it was a stupid move thats now strangling this team. Its a cycle and why its so hard for teams to repeat.

You basically sell your franchise future when you win a super bowl

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk