Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think 28 is the starting point now if he hits FA status. Jimmy G had the tag hanging out there as a possibility and had not cashed in once for a big contract. He had much more pressure to sign and less competition than Cousins will. Kirk will raise that contract bar even higher.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He'll be getting more than 28 IMO. Still betting on the 30 mil annually range IMO

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Cousins at least has 3 years of regular season with over 4000 yards each season. What did this guy do to deserve that much money? I don’t think even Cousins is worth that much. Dang.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

With Jimmy G getting 27.5 mil, 50m sounds fair for Cousins.

nyjetsmets89 and westiedog1 like this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

QB market inflation. It's only going to get worse. Jimmy G's agents probably pushed Jimmy's age and "upside" to get him locked up long term. Cousins is going to command 30+ annually. Let's see which teams are going to be real about signing him and who is going to be cheap about it.

My inclination is Jets will be very very involved in the Cousins chase.

Also, Elway better start prepping his "you can win with Broncos because I'm a former HOF QB and know how to surround you with talent" talk, because they won't be able to afford 30 mil annually for cousins, even with cuts to their roster.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Its the new standard. Even if you have an average QB you have to sign him to a fat deal. You then trade him once you have a cheaper option that is either the same or better. The Chiefs example is what the NFL is going to be looking like for QBs for the foreseeable future. Every starting QB that is a teams starter for several years will eventually get paid more than the next guy. Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, and Jameis Winston will all become some of the top paid QBs in the league in the next few years.

Teams just do not have a choice. The QB is so hard to find and unless you have a top 1 or 2 pick the odds are drastically stacked against you. You gotta pay your QB because consistency is key. Unless you find that cheap journeyman, most starting QBs will be making $20m a year in the near future, regardless if they are top 5 or 10.

FJF likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The 49ers just set Jimmy G’s value on potential. Cousins is a less promising prospect at this point and I doubt gets more. As I posted elsewhere:

Cousins - 49ers gave Jimmy G $137 million!
    Team - then you should have signed with the 49ers. But you’re here talking to us.

donkey likes this.
  8. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Cousins shouldn't be worth more then Jimmy G, Jimmy is already better then cousins based on any rational eye test and he is young enough where falling off a cliff isn't a concern.

Just draft a QB and build around him, having the highest paid QB in NFL history and said highest paid QB not even being a top 10 QB would be so jets

ColoradoContrails and JetBlue like this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That’s the key; Cousins still has to convince teams he’s better than Garoppolo and thus worth more.

Simply being a QB and signing afterwards doesn’t equate to getting more money. What’s Keenun going to ask for? $100 million?

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Let him go to Denver.

abc, Sam Hammer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's sure possible. depends how many teams bid and how much they are willing to offer.

i think you need to get your eyes checked. jimmy g has played 5 games cousins has started 3 years in a row, never been hurt, never missed a game, made a probowl, hans't thrown less then 25TDs has a 2>1 TD to INT ratio. if jimmy G's next 3 years are better then what cousins has done already i'd be suprised. we also don't know if jimmy can take a full 16 games and not get hurt

JohnnyP123456 and FJF like this.
  13. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Cousins attitude about playing for the Jets is the same as LeVeon Bell.

abc likes this.
  14. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

jimmy has shown me more in his small sample size then cousins has shown me in his 3 years, One looks the part of a stud franchise QB who can drag his team to a win, and the other guy doesn't.

Cousins is solid but he isn't a franchise changer, I would be shocked if Jimmy didn't throw for 30 plus tds and less then 13 picks in his first full year, he is that good

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I should have added a /jk to my post. I don't think that the Jets will match whatever the offer will be. It's the same deal with Cousins: the price will be too high.

NCJetsfan and playtowinthegame like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right, and I think that soon we'll see the ushering in of an offense less driven by the QB. The NFL will change the rules to limit QB effectiveness which will lower their value, and RBs and defense will return to the mix. Either that, or the NFL will learn how to better utilize the talent as its developed in college, and using college-type systems so that more QBs can succeed. One thing's for sure: the upward climb of QB salaries without limit is going to top out.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Hell yea, 100m would be a bargain!

All Gas No Shake and FlaJet like this.
  18. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

What I meant is that I hope Cousins throws out an unrealistic number that the jets won't pay.

abc likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe there is more to this than just 5 games, he won 5 games while being very productive in those five games.

The history with shannahan is this, Kyle was high on Jimmy G a while back and said there were only 2 QBs he would have selected in the 2014 draft, Derek Carr and Jimmy Garropolo.

Kyle has his guy and that's why I believe he got this money, he has Shannahan backing him up as the Niners FQB.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Bell said he would play for the jets if they paid him $100 million.

How can he be so out of touch with his value as a RB?