Sitting at 6 with these options.... What do you do?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate your reasoned response, and I understand that he has great physical abilities, but I'm still worried about his decision-making ability which I think is more responsible for his mediocre success than the other things you mention. Of course this decision-making is the product of the environment and situation he's played in, and maybe if he's in a situation with better players and coaching he'll improve the decisions he makes, but we're talking about the Jets, right? I just don't see him being able to overcome that. But if the Jets do take him, I hope you're right.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If the Giants find the right trade partner, they should trade back. The right trade partner has to be a team that is giving you a 2019 first rounder that you expect to be top 8 again next year. If they can trade back, get OL help & be armed with 2 1sts next year they could make a final run with Manning & be armed with multiple picks to trade up with for a QB next year.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Lamar Jackson is the best athlete available at QB this draft. As Russell Wilson showed us in 2012 sometimes the best athlete is also better than a lot of the more traditional QB's.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He has the 2nd best arm in the draft in terms of arm strength. Josh Allen is like 11 on the 1-10 scale. I give Lamar maybe a 7 or 8. Plus has the pro style experience. I think Lamar is a mix between Vick and Wilson.

BTW, we actually agreeing on the SAME QB!?

Brook!, almbleamal and Br4d like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

darn Mehta's article was this guy's only way of knowing who Lamar Jackson was

FJF likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

This is highly dependent on his team maximizing his strengths and building a system around that. I don't think the Jets are capable of doing that. I see them trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as they've done forever.

Br4d likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

You don't have to change much, you install some read option plays obviously, but the Jets already run tons of bootlegs, play action passes.

8. ColoradoContrails

But the question is: would they do that? I have my doubts based upon their track record.

That said, I agree that Jackson is a hell of an athlete and if his strengths could be maximized he could be the guy they've been waiting since Namath for. I would feel much more confident in that if there was a different CS.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this more and more lately and i say we can trade back to 15 with the cards, let them take mayfield. we take jackson at 15 plus we get their 2nd rounder in 2018 and 2019 drafts. That leaves us with the 3 picks in the 2nd round for this year plus 2 in 2019. and the 2nd round this year is perfect for grabbing a WR and some o-line

FJF likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

to give this offense an added dimension while Lamar continues to progress as a QB. It really shouldn't be hard to create an offense based off Lamar Jackson and the rest of this offense. I have confidence in Bates should they draft Jackson, but they will probably take a bust instead cause Mac loves tall QBs with no accuracy.

11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Rosen has the most tools and is the best NFL style Qb in this class imo. He’s a better version of Goff.

Darnold has been incredible at times and scary at other times... still he’s 2nd best in this class.

Jackson is going to be a nightmare matchup problem in the NFL. He’s going to come in and do what Watson did, and just like Watson he’s going to get hurt. If they take him, then back it up with another qb selection in rd. 3-4 (like Washington did with Cousins). I like Mike White.

Allen has the best arm, but is not a naturally accurate thrower. He does remind me of a better version of Hack. I’d stay away personally but his ceiling can not be ignored.

Mayfield is a gamer + my favorite college Qb in this draft. You have to see how his game projects to the NFL. I think he’s going to be fine. His arm is as good as Sanchez strength + he is way calmer under pressure and has accuracy (like a Brees) that can’t be taught. I’d take him at 6 and not look back (Rosen and Darnold will be gone).

12. Jets777

Jets777 Member

Agreed. I wonder if Giants don't need draft Rosen or Darnold then we should trade up to Giants for grab by Rosen or Darnold.

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Don't think the Giants would ever do a trade like that with an inner city rival.

ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

On the Quenton Nelson thing: franchise guards are so 70's and even back then they weren't delivering Lombardi's.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You're a Super Bowl contending team, but your QB went down early in the season. The backups couldn't get it done and you ended the season qualifying for the 6th overall pick. You expect your QB to be healthy and ready to go next season. As a contending team you're strong at the critical positions: QB, WR, LT, RB, DE, MLB, CB. This is when you might consider taking an OG with the 6th pick.

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Only problem with that analysis is that we are the Jets. We take guards, defensive linemen and safeties around here. Lots of 'em.... even though they rarely work out.

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, too true!!!!

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think there is a good chance Rosen is a Giant on draft day

19. ColoradoContrails

As much as I want Rosen on the Jets, and even more, would be so pissed to see the Giants get "our QB", going there makes the most sense for Rosen. He could get to sit and learn - and heal - behind Eli for a year or two and then become their savior.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I really hope the Giants take Rosen at 2 if they do take a QB. Assuming Cousins goes to Denver that would leave whichever of Darnold/ Mayfield that the Browns don’t take for us.

My big fear if the Jets don’t sign Cousins is Darnold and Mayfield going 1, 2. At that point I’d strongly consider Jackson.