Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We can run the ball on three straight plays on the goal line if we have the personnel to do so. My assumption is that Macc will be bolstering the o-line and also adding another RB to compliment McGuire and Powell

2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Bates was there for a year. The two aren't on him. Mac drafted two players. Petty was a project going in. A 4th round pick the team hoped they could turn into a player. He's shown some promise but is inaccurate. A knock on him before he came to the Jets and was with a different coach for two years before Bates.

Hackenberg was a projected 5th-7th round pick. Mac overreached for him. He got worse each year in college. Was noted as being inaccurate and many questioned if he could make it in the NFL. It was a reach and a mistake. Not on Bates.

In Bates's one year people feel he is the best offensive mind in the building and McCown was having a career year until his injury. You can't blame him for those two. The talent isn't even there to coach up. I'll be surprised if either is in the NFL next year. Petty maybe gets to be a backup somewhere. Hackenberg of lucky is on a practice squad. Both will be cut in August if not sooner.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Powell or McGuire cannot handle 20 carries a game. This team lacks a workhorse.

4. grkmanga31

We need a number 1 back which is why I wouldn't mind going QB high in the draft, or adding one via free agency. Powell has shown that he is a great change of pace back, but he has had some injury issues in the past and I think he's the perfect kinda back to bring in the 3rd quarter because of his elusiveness. Same goes for McGuire who looks like he's shot out of a cannon.

Should be interesting how Macc approaches RB. Perhaps a bruiser would be best to wear down a defense? Saquon Barkely falls to six would be a wet dream

5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We needed one yard. Personnel want the issue. The play calling was.

6. grkmanga31

The o-line was horrific last season. Quite a few games the line was being bullied mercilessly and could get 0 push in the run game. Who you have playing for you dictates the play calling. Morton, who also came from a very pass happy system in NO, also probably recognized that the personnel was more pass strong than run strong and I think that was true. We had a lot more success passing the ball than we did running the ball IMO.

Of our 16 games, we ran for under 100 yards 8 times.

To me that screams inconsistency of the o-line being able to create run lanes.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets had to be #1 in the league in terms of yards lost in terms of running the football. How many times was a defender in the backfield last season?

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

Way too often. If we don't address the o-line this offseason we are going to suck again no matter who's playing QB

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

You have to run the ball. The line wasn't horrific and the reason to abandon the run in that spot. The play calling was horrific on that goal line try though. I dont care what kind of offense he has in NO, you had 4 downs to get a yard or two. The line didnt stop him from calling run plays at other times. The problem was that goal line try, thats the one that got the comments about not calling run plays. It wasnt a philosophical issue of pass over run. It was a situational issue. And Morton leaving people scratching their heads with some of his play calls.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Foles played one year in Andy Reid's system and went 1-5 as a rookie thrown into the fire at the end of the season.

The next year Chip Kelly took over and Foles had one of the best years an NFL QB has ever had statistically speaking and the Eagles went 10-6 and to the playoffs.

The interesting thing is that Andy Reid has drafted a QB out of a spread option offense twice now. He also took Pat Mahomes last year for KC. Obviously he likes the great athletes at QB. Donovan McNabb was another guy with excellent tools.

11. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

WIth our o-line he wouldn't have a good time. If Cousins is unavailable, sure, get him. The dude won the SB, you can't say he's crap. At the very least he's psychologically strong and he can throw the damn ball.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

What do you think about Frank Gore if he hits Free agency?

13. grkmanga31

Frank Gore is a beast, but he's 34 and I think we need a young workhorse to be a feature back. Also, I think Frank Gore will want to sign with an SB contender, which I am unsure Jets can be next season.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who?

What has Bates done for the Jets if it wasn't to bring two young quarterbacks along? What was he doing?

15. TonyFtLaud

I don't know why, I thought he was younger.
    Given his age, I could see him going to the Patriots on a short contract.
    I'm pretty sure that the Jets are at least a year or two away from competing for the Super Bowl.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I doubt Foles is going anywhere. Given he just won the super bowl, is a hero in Philly, and Wentz's timetable to return is uncertain I cannot see why Philly would want anything less than a second round pick. He has value to them as a player, as insurance and emotionally to the fan base. Likely they will want a first round pick which I doubt any team would be crazy enough to consider.

Although I am all for Denver or Cleveland trading for him as it gives us a much better chance at trading up for Darnold or waiting at 6 for Mayfield.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I can't believe he's still playing.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As good as Foles was, let's not overlook the cast he had around him. A great OL, maybe best in the league. Great RBs/runnning game. Great receivers. And last, but certainly not least, great coaching. How many of those things do you check off for the Jets?

Zero.

Of course he would instantly be better than anyone the Jets have, or have had for years, but the expectations on him would be huge, and without the above listed supporting cast, he will likely flounder and the fans will call for yet another purge and rebuild. I would hold out some hope that he could succeed - although not like he has or will do in Philly - if we had a competent CS, but as long as we have Bowles & Co. I don't see much improvement no matter who is at QB.

EDIT:

And let's also not overlook the fact that without that supporting cast - or one close to it - why would Foles want to come here?

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

He would only come via trade. Wouldn't have much choice but he could refuse an extension.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The other aspect is that this is his 2nd stint in Philly and it seems like a mutual love affair. If the Eagles even consider trading him I think they'll take his best interests to heart, and also demand a king's ransom in return.

I'm not saying the Jets shouldn't consider him or inquire about him, but I don't think this is the best fit for him, from his perspective and ours.