Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Like a few posters mentioned he has talent all around him I mean he came into a team that was what 10-2 when he took over sure its a great story and good for him but if he comes to the Jets he will fail ...

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Foles than Cousins, but wouldn't trade for Foles and both will want too much money. I'd rather roll the dice with a young QB.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Pederson may have called the game of his life, but Foles still had to execute on the field and stay poised, and he did that in spades. He was accurate, poised and played very well.

I'm not so sure that Pederson called such a great game, either. I loved his aggressiveness, but I couldn't understand his passing every time (I think) at the goal line when he had 2nd 1 or 3rd and 1 and he had Ajayi and LeGarrette Blount. There were also several short yardage situations where they passed instead of ran the ball. I can understand mixing it up to keep NE off balance, but it was like he didn't trust his OL/RBs to be able to get the 1st down. It could have cost him the game. If it hadn't been for the trick play, I think they probably would have lost.

blackssmagic and nicg4360 like this.
  4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Eagles fans are gonna be chanting for Foles after Wentz plays a bad game. I don't think it's fair to Foles or Wentz to keep them both on the Eagles. Philadelphia should thank Nick Foles for helping them win a championship, then trade him somewhere (preferably an AFC East team ;)) where he can be rewarded with long-term financial security and be the starter. Foles just turned 29 this past January 20th. He's younger than Cousins by almost 6 months. After seeing the moxie and guts he played with on the biggest of stages, I believe he's worth the risk. Whoever trades for him will have to give an Alex Smith type extension and probably a 2nd rounder along with a player. It is an option to consider. I would prefer to draft a quarterback, but I would think long and hard about Foles. It's not every day a Super Bowl MVP quarterback who's still under 30 years old could be traded for. Gotta at least call the Eagles and have that conversation.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Foles has always been a decent QB. He was the type of guy Macc should've tried to acquire for cheap the last couple years instead of more expensive, older, and less talented bums like Fitzpatrick and McCown. Now that he won a SB MVP he just won the lottery though and probably not worth what it will take to acquire him

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Why would Philly want to trade him? Their roster is set as is; they don’t need a 2nd round pick to get them over the hump. Foles as a top end insurance policy to an already injured starter is far more valuable than a non-top 10 draft pick.

8. playtowinthegame

Let Bates take a hike.
    Hire John DeFilippo to be OC
    Trade for Nick Foles.
    Trade down to 10 and grab another 2nd
    Draft Calvin Ridley at No. 10
    Draft RB in 2nd.
    RPO's in 2018
    Championship

9. playtowinthegame

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Cousins hasn't won crap!!!. Foles is proven commodity. Its not even a discussion.

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We could have had him at pennies on the dollar this past offseason. He had a ton of more upside than any other FA QB. But we went with McCown.

12. 101GangGreen101

lmao at this offensive line running the RPO ... cant run block to save their lives, what makes you think they can run an RPO?

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Last offseason I banged the drum for him. Was younger than McCown and I thought with the right coaching he'd be good. In Reid/Pederson's system he's been great. He want to the Rams. Jeff Fischer. The guy kills qbs (except for McNair). For Seattle's 2nd I'd take Foles. Frees up money to sign whoever we want. Though we lose a draft pick we still have them. Add a few years to his contract. Save money from signing Cousins. If the qb we love is at 6 we can still take him, trade, or pick someone else we like. It also lets us sign some other free agents. I'd be fine with this but probably won't happen. With Wentz's injury why rush him back. Let Foles start the first 4-8 games and then work Wentz in. This team is built to win for a few years. I'd want the insurance. Going to be a fun offseason with all the qb movement.

14. playtowinthegame

You think the Jets are sitting on their hands in free agency/draft regarding the o-line? Wow.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'd do it all but keep Bates as qb coach.

16. 101GangGreen101

who are you signing at center? The tackles might need upgrading since for the most part, RPO, the offensive line is in run blocking mode all of the time. Shell is good at pass protection, horrid at run blocking. Same with our LT.

wow

Yankjetfan likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

When he gets back from his hike let him know he's still the qb coach. He didn't want the oc job anyways....to stressful for him. :D

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He really did call one of the best games ever especially considering the stakes. The guy goes for 4th downs and airs it out on 3rd and long like it's 2nd and 1. He is the new riverboat gambler in the NFL to me. Talk about bursting onto the scene. Love the system he's built there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. playtowinthegame

Foles has the Pats Dynasty sleeping with the fishes. If Jets get him....fughetaboutit.

20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well, Cousins has certainly had comparable talent. All of those bright shining stars you think you see on the Eagles is merely your opinion on such players. And for that matter, if he truly were as good as you think he is, it wouldn't matter that in your opinion Cousins had less talent to play with. He would have persevered and still won big games. That's what NFL best QB's do.

And if you really think Pederson is one of the best coaches in the league, where does that leave us with Blowes?! If Cousins must have better coaching to be all he can be, how in the hell does he get that great with Blowes? Blowes sucks and everyone knows it.

Not to mention, signing Foles over Cousins leaves the Jets in a situation being much closer to financial freedom. If Foles flops, it would be much easier for Mac to move on from him. If Mac wants to develop a QB and get him on the field, signing Foles is more conducive to doing so. Signing Cousins and the albatross amount of money he wants, locks the Jets in financially to ONE guy. It's Cousins or bust. If Cousins sucks (and I think he definitely will), the Jets are screwed for many years to come. It's not an overnight decision to move on from Cousins and the probable 150 million dollar contract he's going to get.