Interested in Nick Foles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He didn't reach the human wall level yet. [He's getting there pretty quickly though.]

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Completely disagree but it's a great quote.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I agree with this. But if Foles was available I'd rather have him instead of any QB in the 2015 draft.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If the Eagles are that stupid then let's take advantage. Except Junc no one thinks Sanchez is an upgrade over Foles.

5. ScrewedAgain

ScrewedAgain Member

So we give Sanchez away to the Eagles.
    Then the following year, when Sanchez becomes their successful starting quarterback, we're going to take the guy he replaced?

It's so amazing and stupid that I won't be surprised at all when we do it.

While we're at it, how about we trade big for one of the JAG DBs Revis pushed down the Patriot depth chart?

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Me too, but again I can't see Philly being that stupid.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He took down the evil sub human on the world stage. We need a QB and he is a free agent. Eagles have a tough choice. Wentz is coming back. They will probaby tag Foles to maximize their offseason plans. Talk about abundance of richests.

SackExchange69, dogg, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  8. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I think Foles contact is a 5 year deal that actually voids in February 2019. Therefore, there's only way that the Jets will get him this off-season is if they trade for him.

#108 johnny, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know if Foles would like to leave Philadelphia to begin with. Moreover, I don't know if his performance in SB was more of Pederson's work than Foles being world-class. [Maybe Foles isn't that bad either but I'd have to think Pederson was calling the game of his life as well. And Jets coaching staff can't hold the jockstrap of Doug Pederson.]

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I don't see why Foles would prefer being a backup in Philly to starting somewhere else,

I could see Philly waiting until the trade deadline until entertaining a trade for him. I could also see them keeping him longer if they think that they can repeat.

westiedog1 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I would say we will be out of the sweepstakes. If Philly isn't gonna keep him, with what he just proved this season, they will want a pretty penny for him. Denver will have to choose between big money for Cousins, or a big trade with Philly.
    I would say Mac doesn't have the nuts to try for Foles.
    I do believe the QB juggling this off season will be fun to watch. I hope we participate. I just don't see the JETS being an attractive enough team for one of these guys in FA.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we got Foles and Frank Reich from Philly?
    I would like that moving forward.
    Back to reality, we got Bates, McCown, Hack, and Petty until Bowles and his regime are gone I'm afraid.

I wonder if Cleveland would move the top pick on a Super Bowl MVP, rather than the continued struggle on a rookie QB gamble. Cleveland could get very competitive very fast with the picks, cap room, and young talent they have.
    Just a thought.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  12. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

I can't see them moving him. The recovery time from a torn ACL (and LCL?) is what, ~8-9 months? If Wentz suffers even the tiniest of setbacks, they're up shit's creek to start next season.

OTOH...this is Flacco 2.0, only instead of the QB charging a king's ransom for his services, Philly could absolutely rob a desperate team blind, the ultimate sell-high. I'm not sure I'd want the Jets to pay that premium (plus a long-term deal), not when someone like Cousins would just cost money and not an armful of draft picks (assuming the Skins don't franchise him).

#112 NYJ79, Feb 5, 2018
    Royal Tee, zace and FJF like this.
  13. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I would gladly take Foles over Cousins. At least we know with Foles he can win the big game. Has Cousins ever won a big game?

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

It really is an amazing story. This guy was considering retirement what, two seasons ago? He goes on a camping trip, and decides to give it another guy. He takes a backup deal — roughly 5.5M/2yrs + signing bonus (I’m almost certain that I’m reading those numbers incorrectly) — and ends up starting and winning the entire tournament. Holy cow.

On topic, @NYJ79 is totally right: if the Eagles are willing to gamble on another backup or Wentz being ready for the season, they could easily move Foles for a kings ransom. Would it work for the Jets? I don’t know if I’d give up draft assets to get him because, as @Zach pointed out, Pederson called the game of his life. (Also a great story, too.) I don’t think that the Jet could replicate the Eagles' success given the dearth of talent on the sidelines, on the lines.

If the Jets got Foles, he’d end up looking like the Arizona or LA Rams version at best.

NYJalltheway and Red Menace like this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't want Foles, he is just one piece in a puzzle that has a good oline, RB, and WR, with excellent coaching.

Jets have none of the above, Foles would be considered a disappointment if he were on Jets.

QBs get too much credit and too much blame.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Foles is a cool story but after such an emotional roller coaster, trading for him would end up in disaster for the jets. When everything is working great he can be a fantastic QB, but we've all seen the wheels fall off for him before and I would rather look elsehwere.

NYJalltheway and FlaJet like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Has Cousins had the talent around him that Foles did? He certainly didn't have the coaching as Pederson has shown he is one of the best coaches in the league.

Comparing Foles with Cousins is comparing apples to oranges because there's no context behind it.

#118 grkmanga31, Feb 5, 2018
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Foles to Denver if the eagles trade him. Still not sure they do but they have another month to see how wentz improves in rehab so we’ll see.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I highly doubt Foles goes anywhere. Wentz is likely to start at least training camp on PUP and Foles will give them the opportunity to let Wentz heal properly.

Maybe they’ll trade him at the deadline.

FJF likes this.