Can someone explain to me why Josh Rosen isn’t the lock #1 pick?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Feb 1, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He is a bit of a jerk. He's said some things that make him sound like a liberal loon but, really I don't care as long as he shows up to play. Will overlook

There are issues with injuries. Some have complained about him being too thin. He sometimes goes into sandlot mode ala Favre when his team is behind and do too much

But yea I'd love to have him. He won't play for Cleveland so to get him we'd have to absolutely pay through the nose. Because no chance the Giants don't take him.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

^ I don’t know. Giants can’t afford another ego in the locker room.

Since they are sticking with Eli for this season and maybe next, Josh Allen may be their guy, if they go QB.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rosen is soft.

anyone who takes him over Darnold is gonna make a mistake

Attackett likes this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Allen is a risk. He's a bit of a project and has accuracy issues. He may end up being like Cutler but without the attitude.

Definitely could be some issues with Rosen but he's so damn talented. The Giants definitely like to play up the myth of some buttoned up classy organization though

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Surprised so many on here have basically dismissed him already. He’s the best QB in the draft and is the closest to being can’t miss.

I think he goes one overall but if he does get past Giants, Jets have to move up to 3 for him. In fact Jets should be talking to Browns right now trying to get to 1.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I’ll tell you why I don’t like Josh Rosen -

For all his faults, Jim Mora was a strong recruiter and rebuilt UCLA into a top 15 recruiting program right when Rosen took over as starter. At the same time, UCLA went from a 10-win team to barely a .500 team in a mediocre conference. UCLA talent improved and but with Rosen under center they still declined. Blame Mora’s coaching, if you want. UCLA did. I just think a quarterback that you’re drafting to win games needs to have a solid history of, y’know, winning games.

Ozymandias likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

UCLA went 17-13 in the 30 games Rosen started for them and 1-7 in the 8 he missed with injuries.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

If he is as smart as they say and he doesn't love the game, you say the right things, get drafted high and then quit after you have that big pay cheque!

9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

UCLA’s problems were on the defensive side of the ball. Last year they were one of the worst teams in the country against the run.

High school recruiting rankings are very overrated.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is the Story of TGG the Fans in general and of course Mac The Macdoodling

Most people want PERFECTION ...but guess what ??? NOT OUT THERE

The WORST thing you can do here is OVERTHINK on the Big Three especially Rosen the Chosen

Make a deal with the Browns they can't refuse ..grab him WITHOUT A SEC THOUGHT...

BTW He is on Capt Kirks level ...imo WITHOUT THE PRICE TAG. And good to go for twice as many years

Can't get him.??..Get Mayfield with no forethought as well

Carpe Diem or someone else is celebrating

#30 NYJetsO12, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're contradicting yourself. Any deal with the Browns for the top pick will come at a huge price.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes but not 34 Million cold hard cash to pay someone else MORE deserving than that faker Kirk..picks deliver you POTENTIALLY good players..which may or not pan out

But yeah I get what you are saying ..why give up picks that you can use elsewhere

BUT that certainly did not stop H Roseman of the Eagles when he got Wentz or A Reid when he got P Mahomes!

If our Macdoodling Mac does his HOMEWORK correctly and determines that say Rosen or Mayfield and Darnold are the REAL deal then the confidence is there to take that risk

13. Sundayjack

Josh Rosen was the number 1 pro-style QB in the country coming out of high school, so maybe you have a point. But, for the most part, recruit ratings are surprisingly solid. Surprising, in how accurate they can be with kids who haven’t even finished growing. Ten years ago, there was Rivals and really no one else. In 2018, tracking and rating high school recruits is a cottage industry. If you go through the top-20 recruiting rankings over the last ten years, you’ll find that it largely tracks the top-20 rankings.

Winning is, as much as anything, a culture and QBs drive it almost as much as a anything. Reminds me of UGA with Eason and Fromm. Eason was the #2 QB coming out of high school - big arm, all the tools for a pro-style system. When he went down and Jake Fromm went in, there was an immediately change in the tone of the game. Fromm was a leader with solid skills and a good football mind. Eason was a big arm with a 5-star pedigree. Georgia was smart enough to stick with Fromm.

14. Sundayjack

Hmmm. Wait. I’m convinced! Sign me up!

But perhaps not.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

maybe not to one person but when you have to pay vets in free agency to make up for the holes you have from trading draft picks its going to come close.
    and when did it become 34mil? seems like his assumed asking price goes up 2 mil a day. is this done for effect to try to turn people off?

TonyFtLaud and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Sure, throw all those picks at it so that they can't get him any help, he gets battered behind a makeshift O line, get numerous concussions due to it and either 1A. Decides after his rookie contract is up wants to go somewhere that gets him some protection and offensive help or 1B. Retires after the 5th concussion which limited him to 12 games played over his first 3 seasons. Sign me up for some of that.

Draft picks are a cost, and with what you are talking about would come at a greater cost than signing Cousins

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree.

With regards to his attitude, I don't like it. I think he has a sense of entitlement, and that's dangerous. I think Mayfield's attitude is one that would thrive in NYC playing for the Jets. He's a hard worker, is ultra competitive and has a chip on his shoulder. I haven't read or heard those three things about Rosen. I think Rosen would thrive in NYC, but I'm not sure if he would thrive on a football team in NYC. A QB speaking his mind can work against not only him, but his teammates, and the franchise.

It doesn't matter how talented he is if he rarely is on the field and playing. He has already shown a propensity for getting injured,and for getting concussions. Think about how devastating it would be to the franchise if the Jets draft him, he wins the starting job out of TC, and gets a concussion in the first 3 games, then gets another later in the season, or suffers another early in his 2nd season and doctors tell him he needs to retire. One or two more concussions and his career could be over. His frame looks very thin to me and he missed a number of games each of the last two seasons. I don't care how good a team's OL is, their QB is gonna get hit. He's not that mobile, either, so he's gonna take a pounding. I'm not convinced his body can hold up.

He also has a propensity for forcing the ball and just throwing it up for grabs when behind. Even though his talent is undeniable, I'm not sure I even want the Jets to take him if he falls to #6. I'm gonna have to do some more research and see more film on him.

#37 NCJetsfan, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  18. NCJetsfan

I totally agree, Red. I think his concussions and injury history is a HUGE red flag with his thin frame and lack of mobility. I don't think I want the Jets to draft him at all, and I KNOW I don't want them to trade up for him.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree. I see a lot of Joe Namath in Rosen, and if you recall there were worries about his injuries and attitude but it all worked out pretty well.

20. NCJetsfan

That's fine. I respect your opinion and can see why you like him, but I think he's an unnecessarily risky pick. If the Jets covet him, they better thoroughly vet his physical health, his commitment to football and his coachability, then pray they can keep him upright and healthy.

Unless I'm mistaken, Namath's injury was his knee, not his throwing shoulder and not concussions. Namath was also a lot more mobile than Rosen initially, and he was tough. I don't think Rosen is very tough either physically.