If Kirk Cousins signs with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Jan 31, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

McCown played well at times, but during a stretch like the Falcons game he came up way short. Dolphins game, Chargers game. Cousins could've won those games for us. That Redskins team had a lot of injuries. Jonathan Allen was beasting in the middle and that line was playing well intact. They still went 7-9. Our team you could argue was playing just as good too. He could've put us over the hump. Cousins kept them afloat. Who was running the ball for them again? They scored 30 or more 4 of the last 8 games of that year and that team was destroyed.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Cousins never kept that team afloat. His stats are inflated because he played from behind. IN FACT the redskins were behind the jets in red zone efficiency last season. They werent better the previous season either. He has a completion percentage of 44% in the red zone for a career. How does that sound like a guy who kept his team a float?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

In other words you have nothing to combat what i said? I already laid my case out. I again just added another reason that hes not worth the money.

Total yards and tds throw dont impress me without context. His are not that of a leader, but a guy playing against cover and prevent defenses after his team forfeits a lead.

So like i said, unless you got something to combat it, i see no reason to repeat my post for you. Its pretty easily found.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jordan Reed not being there and throwing to an inexperience receiver? Garcon ain't out there, like I said before Reed ain't out there. Jackson? Nope. They had no weapons on the outside. Who did they have this year?

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats not just last season. Thats prior years included, you cant spin that. Hes never been good in the red zone. Theres one thing all great qbs have, great red zone presence. He does not have that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

We have to aim for more than all or nothing — elite QB or aim to suck to hopefully draft an elite QB.

tbruner12 and FJF like this.
  7. JetBlue

I did combat it. You raised an argument of one cherry picked stat and I countered with the fact that the stat you cite did not infer the cause and effect you were attempting to claim it did, and there are very basic and common football reasons such as a bad defense or poor running game that could be the cause, which you are either willfully ignoring or simply ignorant of.

To defend the argument you raised you have to also present those other stats otherwise you are dishonestly cherry picking stats to make an argument that requires the others to actually have meaning.

So, no, I have validated my position quite efficiently. Your refusal to defend your argument is the issue at this point.

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Please that bullshit my work on some people around here, but not me. You literally provided nothing to support your point or combat mine. Which is typically what you do. You come, state your opinion and somehow act as tho it's the gold standard.

Like i said my point was already made in the other thread about this very topic and pretty much nobody has been able to put together a rebuttal to combat it. This is the last im saying this to you, i dont care about the last word. Just know im not impressed by your pseudo knowledge. Get some number with context.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Are any of the QB's this year guaranteed to be elite? Not really. I mean Rosen maybe but he's not a prospect the echelon of Luck or even Bradford and Stafford and Newton. He's close to that level but there are plenty of red flags with him, same with Darnold, and same with Allen who's raw and has accuracy issues.

I think Mayfield is probably going to be good, but is his top level in his prime going to be any better than Cousins? Don't know really. Probably not

One thing I love about Cousins is the passion. He is focused, he's prepared, he wants to win badly, he's totally devoted to the game and being a leader. It's just his skillset isn't quite elite.

LF911SC and almbleamal like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With regards to your bolded sentence, I'll spell it out for you.

1. Because you don't pay $28-$30 million for a 30 year-old QB who isn't elite
    2. Because you don't sign a 30 year-old QB for a rebuilding team unless he's a one-year stop gap while your young QB develops
    3. Because when you have all the holes the Jets do, what's the point of bringing in a FA QB and paying him a ton of money? You only do that if your team is set and you're only missing the QB to be competitive.
    4. Most importantly, because Cousins said that the most important thing to him is playing for a winner, and not money. He isn't gonna want to sign here if the Jets aren't committed to winning NOW.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I hate this kind of rationale. The only team that didn't end up paying their QB was the Pats and that's cause found a loophole. A 30 year old QB who'd be he best signal caller we've had in decades would get us a lot closer to the SB than Josh McCown. And we don't exactly have a GM that can pick a good one in the draft anyway. There is no sure fire way to win. You take calculated risks and signing Cousins would be just one. When you roll the dice you don't think of the rules.

tbruner12 and FJF like this.
  12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Move on, you're spinning in circles. I made a comment, I know it's right, didn't need you to explain to me that all INTs aren't the same. You want to make McCown into Cousins? Makes you pretty lost and you should leave the QB conversation to others.

BTW, before the season, what people thought about our offense and the skins offense was wrong, wasn't how it ended up, so another waste of bandwidth. Why is it that you and others think you're going to go in and on and somehow come up with reasons why 4,300 yards, 65%, 27 TDs and 12 INTs aren't good numbers. And when will you learn how FA works? Pay is determined by supply and demand, not who you're being paid more than.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep ...the fools here on TGG salivate over Cousins like one of Pavlov's dog after they rang a bell..

Ring the Capt Kirk bell (stimulus) the Jets put on their sucker hats and open their wallet (knee jerk response)

Cousins is an average to slightly above average QB ..meh..perfect for continued mediocrity on the Jets

Fortunately some of us here do a little digging before wetting our pants over a player

Nice job Zace

#153 NYJetsO12, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    zace likes this.
  14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You are probably right and by doing this the Jets brain trust improved ticket sales and people get to keep their job.

But I am asking you is this the right thing to do, especially if you want to be a championship team?

In a recent interview Cousins claims he wants to go to a winning team. This may actually save the Jets from a bad deal.

15. NYJetsO12

Just give it up man...obviously a certain segment of our Gang Green can't or refuses to read..

Time to put certain posters on ignore Zace...no more stooping to their level , throwing your Pearls before Swine...etc

It works for me!!

16. NYJetsO12

Memo to the Cousin Supporters:

Graduates of Michigan State are very intelligent

Cousins has a high IQ and that reason alone precludes him from coming here

Imagine him trying to talk to Bowles and Kacy??? Not a conversation he is looking forward to with 4 th and goal on the 2 and Toilet wants the Field Goal...????????

Time to get real here..

17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Michigan State has been going through the ringer recently in the media. I am glad to see that during this difficult time you are a loyal Spartan like the true ancient Spartans of Greece.

Cousins recently claimed in an interview he is looking for a winning team and due to NFL rules he and his agent will be hibernating till March. So this means another 4 weeks of Cousin going to the Jets crap in the media and this forum.

I wish more attention would be placed on the draft.

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Especially when you take into account that 2 of the QBs who keep him out of the top 10 have played fewer than 10 games. JG and DW don't belong on any lists, yet.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If Cousins wasn't their starting QB they would be picking 2nd instead of the Giants. That team is abysmal without Cousins. I would be 99.99% of this board didn't even know who Ryan Grant was before Cousins made him look like a serviceable WR2. Cousins will be able to work wonders with some real talent at the WR positions - not just Jamison Crowder.

20. JetBlue

No, you haven’t made a point. You’ve isolated one stat of a game and argued that there was no other context of the game that was of any importance to the outcome other than that one stat, simply because that one stat in isolation supports your conclusion. Your ignoring other stats that may dispute your conclusion does not equate to my not supporting my position.

That is what I’ve disputed of your argument; the fact that you don’t understand that means you not only don’t understand your own argument but you probably don’t understand football either.

You can continue to dance around what I’ve stated, but your ignorance of your own argument or deliberate attempt to evade my argument in no way, shape or form equates to any flaw of my dispute of your incomplete position.

You haven’t proven shit with your argument and I’ve very clearly stated where your argument is deficient.

So, as you stated yourself, dishonestly isolating one aspect of the game may work when arguing with other people, but not me. Go back to the kindergarten forum if that’s the bullshit you want to pull.