Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the same it factor of kaepernick, maziel, and tebow? lol nice way to wiggle out of an actual discussion by using an undefinable term based on nothing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Mac and Bowles may not have that luxury, but they could since the Johnsons seem to do everything backwards.

I don't think that too many novice GMs would want to go "all in" their first season and bring in all the old, over-priced FAs in an effort to "win now." I think that Woody either mandated that they try to make the playoffs or they all believed that they had to try the competitive rebuild since the Jets had to spend a huge amount of money in that FA period anyway. There were several quotes in the media by Woody stating that he was tired of the Jets not being in the playoffs and the Jets needed to win.

The Jets had to spend a lot of money in that FA period because Idzik hadn't, so that may be at least one of, if not the precipitating factor that kept the Jets from beginning the full rebuild then. Maybe that forced them to try the "competitive rebuild" first. Regardless of why they tried the "competitive rebuild" first, they finally started the full rebuild this past season. Normally, GMs don't get to do things backwards like that, but we know how Woody at least does things. I think it took two seasons of futility for Woody to see that the Jets were never going to make the playoffs going the "competitive rebuild" route because they didn't have the talent and had too many holes. I think that Woody or both the Johnsons saw that the Jets needed to "start over" and that's why there was no mandate to make the playoffs this past season and the W-L record was not deemed a big factor in whether Bowles was retained. If that is the case, then I think Chris Johnson would be willing to let the Jets draft a QB and continue the full rebuild rather than mandate that the Jets needed to get Cousins and make the playoffs.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I agree.

I do wonder if that could be changed though. Hypothetically, if the Broncos bring in FA Cousins and they win a Super Bowl, after they brought in FA Manning and won a Super Bowl, does that change the calculus on how to win it all?

Instead of going all-in on a QB, then blowing up the roster, coaching staff, and front office when he busts, maybe, Elway proves that you can make much safer and saner draft decisions, then buy your QB once everything else is in place.

I'm not buying into it, just hypothesizing.

TonyFtLaud and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

there is more then 1 way to skin a cat

FJF and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it will ever change the way most GMs, owners or teams think due to the cap. Most teams just don't have that ability. It takes a team like the Jets who weren't very good and got rid of their older, more expensive players and have a lot of cap sapce, or a team like the Broncos who were very good, won a SB, but then couldn't keep all of their players so wound up with cap space they normally wouldn't have had, and the developmental QB they drafted didn't pan out. The reality is that very good QBs rarely become FAs, and once teams have everything in place except the QB, they're pretty much screwed, because they don't have the cap space to sign a very good FA QB if one comes along, and they don't draft high enough to even sniff of getting to draft one of the top QB prospects. So they're stuck with JAG FAs or rolling the dice with getting lucky and a good QB prospect dropping to them or reaching for a QB in the 2nd round or lower.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. GasedAndConfused

it's funny all the "forum experts" essentially think he sucks, meanwhile probowler von miller was lobbying for him last week and not today pro bowl CB peterson who has played against him 3 times is lobbying for him as well
    http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...k-Peterson--Cousins-can--get-us-over-the-top-

I'd trust player to player assessments over anything a coach or armchair QB on a forum things

TonyFtLaud, tbruner12 and FJF like this.
  8. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

It's not a given that Luck will be able to play at all, let alone at a high level. What would you give up/think the Colts would want for Luck at this point?

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I gave you more than just the fact that he has an IT factor.

It’s definitely not nothing though. Tebow, Manziel, and Kap did have that as well. Two of the three wasn’t good enough to handle the rest of the responsibilities it takes to man that position in the NFL.

I’m not wiggling out of anything. I’m sayin I would much rather have Garrappolo over Cousins.

Based on your initial argument. That’s a pretty bold statement on my end.

From my perspective though. It’s easy to make that claim.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The reality is..

I don’t think he’s worth the money, especially with what’s he would bring to the table.

I think he is an above average QB, somewhere in the top 20 QBs in the league.

However. The money he wants, is going to be top 3 QB money, he may end up being the highest paid QB in the entire league because of need, not worth.

I’ve been researching the cap ramifications that he would impose on the team if signed and it’s extremely ugly until 2020-2021.

It will absolutely handcuff this team in the future unless they find a very creative, cap friendly way to manage his contract.

If we were just a QB away from being SB contenders, I truly wouldn’t have such a problem with the move.

We are literally on par with rebuild OffSeason 2.0.

Making a big cap move like that isn’t smart for a rebuilding team. It would only set us back that much further.

I don’t just want to make the playoffs. I’m tired of this team being a middle of the pack team.

Those points are the only realistic points I care about ultimately.

The rest of the QBs don’t matter as much if I’m being honest and takes away from the overall discussion.

You are right about that.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

please elaborate

FJF likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d like to see what you have for cap ramifications in 20-21 .

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If I was Kirk Cousins, I would choose the Vikings. They have a ton off offensive weapons and a top defense.

14. GasedAndConfused

i'm glad your perspective isn't making decisions lol. I'm not saying garappolo won't be better then cousins in some future i'm just saying nobody can say he is better now with a straight face. he hans't proven anything. he could be the next RG3 or vince young or kaepernick. all 3 looks pretty dam good at first and then dropped off hard. When he does it 3 years in a row, without missing game, surrounded by shit talent, makes pro bowls, throws for almost 5k yards then you can say he is as good as cousins. until then it's just a baseless prediction.

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There you go. Fair points and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

ok this is a much more fair post.
    See bolded in the quotes

tbruner12 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can't compare the Broncos and the Jets at this point. The Broncos might be just a QB away from a serious run next year. They have playmakers on offense and defense and fewer holes than the Jets. They also have most of their star players going post-prime right now. They had a crappy year last year because the OL couldn't stay healthy and they couldn't find a decent QB among their several options.

2018 and 2019 are probably the last years that they can make a serious run at a Super Bowl for awhile. Putting a rookie in with a bunch of 30 year olds would be like what the Jets did with Mark Sanchez in 2009. Whatever the guy did this year he'd face having a lot of his support drop out in 2019 and 2020.

There's a pretty good case to be made that the Broncos should sign Cousins and Andrew Norwell, trade Aqib Talib (who is 32 this year) for what the market will bear to clear cap space and then take either Minkah Fitzpatrick or the top OT on the 5 pick. They probably cut Menelik Watson in that scenario to make more cap space - recognition that a guy that gets injured every year is more of a liablilty than an asset.

That's the having their cake and eating it too scenario since they stabilize QB while fixing the OL in a big way and also getting younger in the defensive secondary. Talib might be worth a 4th round pick or conditional 2nd or 3rd next season to the right team.

tbruner12 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

I posted this in another thread

IDK about all that. cousins is singing a LTD likely 5-6 years. in NFL years that's a lifetime.

lets look at the "win now"

both the jets and broncos won 5 games in 2017 while none suffered major injuries. both did it with not so good QBs
    Both defenses allowed the same points per game (23.9) despite the jets defense having an extra 100 plays run on it.
    Denver will also lose talib if they sign cousins which is a big blow to their secondary.
    on offense they have thomas and sanders at WR. not much depth behind them and no good TE. sure both are capable 1000 yard WRs but so are enunwa and anderson. plus we have kearse and likely ASJ as well. at the RB position anderson is just decent. i'd take powell and maguire over anderson and booker any day. I'd say the jets have more weapons on offense then denver overall. they do have a better o-line though but we can fix that if we land cousins. If denver lands cousins they can't do much to improve. we can still sign o-line and a WR for him. a landry or robinson maybe. and have an extra 2nd round pick

now for the future
    sanders and thomas will be 31/30 at the start of the season. the age where WRs decline. not much left in the tank. for us enunwa, anderson and kearse are all young. enunwa and anderson could both be here the next 5+ years with cousins. that creates chemisry and consistency. We are one of the youngest teams in the NFL. denver is not. a lot of their players are on the wrong side of 30

So one could easily argue that not only are we a better "win now" option then denver, we are also a better option for the length of the contract

TonyFtLaud and Br4d like this.
  19. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Jets had decent QB play and went 5-11 and the broncos had Bryce petty level QB play and went 5-11. That is the sole reason why we finished with the same record, a petty lead jets team goes 1-15 and I don't think you can argue that. We got a career year form a journeyman QB.

The youth argument however is a good one, Denver is older in age and might not be the best fit for cousins if cousins wants a long window.

I'm starting to feel it will be a team besides Denver that tickles cousins fancy

HomeoftheJets and tbruner12 like this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I can respect that point of view.

Powell is 30 next year and ASJ is going to the high bidder and probably early in the process.

Anderson is unlikely to play much next year due to his legal issues. He's going to be suspended by the NFL at some point and I'm guessing it will be a sizeable suspension unless he manages to plead the charges down to a misdemeanor somehow. His previous case is likely to be reinstated and it is a felony case also.

Enunwa is a very good player coming off of a bad season long injury. No idea what he will do next year and no idea if the Jets are going to make a major play to re-sign him at this point. They haven't indicated one way or the other so they may know things we don't know about his condition.

All I'm trying to say here is that very few supporting pieces are reliably in place for a veteran FA QB coming to the Jets in 2018. That's not to say that it's a bad idea but the odds on it turning into a rousing success are far lower than Brett Favre's arrival in 2008 and we know how that turned out.

I'd be very careful about how I promoted Cousins if we did sign him. I'd make sure that people understood that this was a stabilizing move in the rebuilding process - not the end game. Going 7-9 with Cousins at QB next year after trying to sell the Jets as a playoff team would do more damage to a fan base that really does not need more damage at this point.