Breaking: Deal in Place that sends Alex Smith to the Redskins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Jan 30, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

LOL Bowles and far better have never been used before in any connotation. Thanks for my morning laugh.

2. boozer32

Forget the catch how bout the throw. Petty dropped that in on the sideline between two DB's. I liked the Hansen pick and will look to see him take the next step.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cousins won't wreck the cap, we have no one else to pay. no one on the horizon due big money and $100 mil in cap space. shit, we can sign cousins and still get a g,t,wr . or we can take nelson in the draft and start planning his ring of honor ceremony. either way it is still going to take coaching and scouting and good draft picks. that doesn't change because we signed a good qb.
    and all the anti bowles crowd that want him fired as soon as possible. if he is as bad as everyone says, why not get him cousins and let him lose with a good qb? thats the only way he is leaving anyway. i mean he is absolutely horrible, no way he can win no matter who the qb is right? right?

101GangGreen101 and boozer32 like this.
  4. boozer32

Yeah, no way he can win I agree with you on that. The Jets are on their 3rd offensive system in 3 years.The 4th year of the same lame, ineffective defensive system. You know the one with receivers running free in the secondary, zero pressure on the QB, tiny almost minscule LB getting run over. What would be the common denominator even with all these new pieces coming onboard?

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so whats the point of drafting a qb then? too many people are talking out both sides of their mouths, you can't want a qb to develop and than claim the staff sucks.. can't claim the gm sucks and then call for him to pick the right qb. too much contradiction in these posts.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

In your little world yes, that would be the case hahaha. He's better then Vance Joseph tho.

FJF likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Actually you can still draft a potential FQB, that decision should not be affected by the CS in place, drafting good players is Macs job.

Rams did it with Goff, he played for the losingest HC in the NFL, who could not develop Goff to save his job.

Those things will happen, why Bowles hasn't fired Kaci for being a terrible DC while he has fired 3 OC is the real question.

If Mac can sign Cousins and draft some good guys that can make jets better I'm all in.

Whether Bowles can coach them up is a totally different conversation.

I still think the Redskins should have just signed Kirk and built around him while drafting another QB in the later rounds.

#227 Red Menace, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  8. 101GangGreen101

2 journeyman QBs have had career years under Bowles and Mac administration. So I think Bowles can put players in a situation to succeed. If Bowles can win 10 games with Fitzpatrick, I think Bowles can do better with Cousins and a much deeper / talented roster. I think the Cousins situation personally has been something on Mac's mind for some time now. He tried trading for him before, now you get one of his favorite coaches in.

Jets sign Cousins, you can perhaps forget about drafting a QB early for the next 2 years. Maybe grab a project late. Perhaps you look to find the answer 2 years later, in which perhaps by then you have a system established and you truly know what QB fits within that system.

FJF likes this.
  9. Red Menace

I really hate it when we use Fitzpatrick and one good non playoff year to make a case for Bowles and a CS that he fired. Or disregard the 5-11 seasons and no playoffs. it's like the girlfriend who refuses to see her boyfriend sucks just because he brings her the occasional flower and candies.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I can separate what his job is versus Macs job and I still want a FQB signed or drafted and developed, if Bowles can develope him fine, if not get someone in that can.

I'm not attaching the succes of any QB or any player to this CS, if it happens I'll be happy but if they go 5-11 again next year the jets have to move on and find someone that can.

Jacksonville did it with Gus Bradley, obviously Caldwell was making good selections in the draft, Bradley was just a bad HC who could not translate those picks into a winning team.

Washington is going to regret this move, Alex is a good QB but at 34, also without Andy Reid, I believe you will see him come back to earth with them and even if healthy they will have a tough time in that division with the Cowboys, Eagles and a reinvigorated Giants team.

10. 101GangGreen101

We don't have any other sample size with Bowles. Hack and Petty are absolutely bad QBs, both were bad choices and they weren't going to be good no matter how much time you took to develop them. We all know getting Fitz back another year was a mistake. He was busy living the dream and not preparing himself for the next year. Got paid and played like shit. I am not talking about the record, but the performances of the QBs. Both played well above their normal levels, that's something we cannot dispute. It is the coach's responsibility to get these players ready to play. Fitz and McCown played at a level, never seen before. Browns had McCown too and he was horrible there.

A lot of fans have issues separating the job responsibilities of both Mac and Bowles. It's all over this topic. If Cousins gets signed, they can draft a QB later in the draft. There are going to be some sleepers in the 4th round and down. Stay away from the Hacks and Pettys .... projects with glaring issues. I look at a Kyle Lauletta from Richmond for example, has good fundamentals, needs to develop. Perfect QB to take later in the draft. That's a QB that Mac should have interviewed and talked to during the Senior Bowl. Instead, I bet he blew his entire wad on Allen and Mayfield.

Washington will continue to be the bottom of the barrel. Fans will miss the days when Cousins took them to a division title a few years ago.

Doug Marrone seems to be a good coach, but coached pretty badly in the AFCCG. 2 timeouts a min left on the clock and took a knee into half time. Something we would normally kill Bowles for. Tom Coughlin is the lifeblood of that franchise IMO.

11. Red Menace

When Bowles gets Jets within one game of SB then I will give him slack for taking knee and taking 3 TO into halftime.

I'll obviously support Bowles this year and hope he does well, but if he goes 5-11 again I want him fired no more excuses.

Coughlin was just hired last year, Caldwell has been there 4 years as GM. Gus Bradley sucked as HC. It was the HC that was the problem not the GM.

Honestly I don't trust either guy at this point, Mac or Bowles.

I agree with your sentence on Cousins, this was a bad trade by the Skins, they could have used the 3rd round pick to continue to build up team if they had signed Cousins to long term deal and stabilized the most important position in football.

12. 101GangGreen101

I agree, I am on full evaluation mode for Mac and Bowles this year. No more excuses. I am not saying playoffs or bust, but I need to see this vision come to fruition in some capacity. Not sure if I trust them either, if they can't get the right prospects and they can't win games this year they need to both be shown the door.

Coughlin, I still think created a culture in Jacksonville that allowed them to get where they are today. Caldwell picked some really good prospects, ones that us Jet fans liked a lot. Myles Jack, amazing football player one of the better sideline to sideline linebackers in the NFL today. Caldwell was also picking in the top 5 for the longest of times.

Your last sentence, that is why the Skins are the Skins.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Too bad the defensive expert Bowles can’t get his defensive players to play up to their potential, nevertheless have career years.

I’m not giving Bowles anymore credit for the QB play of the two bums than I’d give Belichick for Brady’s play. The only extent to which I’d give Bowles credit is the coaching staff he hired to coach the QB’s.

Bowles is not a good coach at this point.

14. 101GangGreen101

Leonard Williams will get his next year, he was I believe in tops in terms of QB hits. Needs to start finishing plays and the Jets need to get an EDGE rusher to take the pressure off Williams. I am pretty sure Demario Davis just had a career year? Darron Lee is getting better by the year. Jets need someone on the outside that can win that matchup and we haven't had that in over a decade.

You should give Belichick, plenty of credit for Brady's success. Let's not act like Belichick learned everything Weis had to offer and implemented his own system. Josh McDaniels came around and he was able to continue to instill that philosophy of creating mismatches.

Bowles is average at best right now ... He is better then Vance Joseph and that could go a long way in terms of Cousins signing.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You dont have to agree with me about Cleveland. I just seem them as a team that will be something in the next 2-3 years. The same argument could be said for the Jets so I get that.

Minny can make moves to make cap room.

Denver also has cap concerns, but they too can make room.

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I could see that. I just think it's very hard to be a particularly desirable destination for free agents when you wave won 1 game in the last two years and none since Obama left office.

17. Red Menace

I think Dorsey will change that in this upcoming draft.

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

"will" being the operative word when it pertains to desirable destinations for this coming FA class, since the draft happens after free agency.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. boozer32

You draft a QB until you find one. Even if Bowles leaves next year (almost a given) they will need a QB to run this franchise. Just ask yourself right now on their roster do they have one. We have been drafting pieces every year for the last 10 years without really addressing the QB. Are those sack artist gonna score any TD's. Heck are they even gonna get to the QB because its not happening right now and haven't since Rex Ryan left. So we can keep doing the circle jerk of taking defensive players but we will be right back here discussing who is gonna be the QB next year. Most teams in this league can do more than one thing and get a QB's, RB, OT and defensive players. The Jets sole purpose in life is to just take defensive players and not very good ones.

20. boozer32

Oh man you were serious. Wow that's even more funny to me now. Bowles is the worst coach in football. That would be college and pro.