If Kirk Cousins signs with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mario, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Now that Cousins will hit the market (and several betting sites have Jets the favorites to land him) how would you approach the offseason?

My first move would be to sign a Guard and/or Center in free agency. Ryan Jensen from Baltimore perhaps. He will be 27 at the time of next season. Andrew Norwell at Guard would be a major upgrade and is 26.

Sign a CB or EDGE rusher.

Allen Robinson and Landry would be worth looking into at WR, as they are both 25. Both are better than anyone the Jets have.

I'd look for the best LT, Chubb, Nelson or Saquon at #6. Tremaine Edmunds is flying up the charts. The remaining two second rounders could be used to fill whatever they don't take at #6 (oline, pass rush or RB).

The Jets could become a double digit win team for the next several years.

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

If Barkley is there at 6 and we have Cousins already :D

JetLifeLo and dogg like this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If they're already set at QB with Cousins they should seriously consider trading down at #6 in a QB rich draft for a boatload of draft picks OR try to trade that pick to St. Louis for Aaron Donald.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You think the rams are trading Donald?

JetLifeLo, Dom, TonyFtLaud and 3 others like this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Monkey see, monkey do.

What can I say about that?

7. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

If we get Cousins, our next move is a center, an edge rusher, another WR and backup O-linemen. Some can be in free agency and the rest in the draft.

FlaJet, TonyFtLaud and grkmanga31 like this.
  8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Cousins is not the answer for the Jets to obtain a championship. This may get the fans motivated to buy tickets but this will never lead to a team good enough to win a championship. Another member in this forum so eloquently put it football purgatory.

Stay the course and obtain a franchise QB through the draft. It will not be easy, but this is what the Jets need to do. Even if this fails at least they went for a championship team.

I knew the minute the Redskins got Alex Smith that Cousins was going to be the dream QB for Jet nation. I know you desperately want a QB but be patient grasshoppers.

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Draft the best QB with our highest pick. Even if we sign Cousins.

Peebag likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

His Agent is obviously feeding rumors. ."Most likely landing spot??" TRANSLATION : What Team are a bunch of DESPERATE SUCKERS. ...JETS!s. I say CAVEAT EMPTOR 100xs

Peter King / Albert Breer "Jets have a lot of $ and ARE DESPERATE"... Sure walk into a big rip off

MAC THE DECIDES IF HE COMES HERE ...NOT SOME COMMENTATOR

#10 NYJetsO12, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    abc likes this.
  11. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Cousins has a good 10 years in front of him. People who say isn't championship caliber, I ask you who is at the age of below 35 nowadays? Bortles, Keenum, the Eagles qb (I forget his name), Alex Smith? Prescott couldn't get Dallas into the playoffs, that 2nd and goal was entirely in his hands and he screwed it up. I'll give you Wentz, that's it.
    Anyway, in Washington Cousins got brutally murdered almost every game, I literally felt sorry for the guy seeing him take hits he took. That's why I generally think that his level of production will increase nicely if he's protected properly. So the most important thing is to protect him, get a good o-line first.

harts24 and FlaJet like this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Do you believe for one second that Mac and Bowles are going to draft AND develop the right QB? I think getting Cousins is likely the only way this regime has a chance to succeed. Mac can’t draft QBs and Bowles does not want to deal with the liability of having a rookie QB.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

C'mon. He's 30 next year. How many QBs not named Brady have still been near their peak at 40? Cousins is a middle of the pack good QB. He's not top tier, but he's better than most and there's a good chance that even if you successfully find a starting QB via the draft he's no better than Cousins. I've no doubt you could win with Cousins, if you have a good roster, a strong D and some luck, but you've got a 5/6 year window for that all to happen.

Drafting a QB, even if he's only the same level as Cousins, gives you a decade at least to find the elusive magical year and there's always a chance you find a great QB although there's a far greater chance you pick a dud.

That's the conundrum facing the Jets, go for the limited window guy who could get you there if everything runs right, or take a chance to have a longer window with the risk associated.

FlaJet, Dom, NYJetsO12 and 4 others like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But it’s not an either or, use the rest of the money and draft picks wisely and you can sign cousins and in 2-3 years take his heir apparent.
    Everyone wants to draft a qb for “sustained success” but the first step in that is having some success.

15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think Kirk Cousins is actually "top" of the middle of the pack. If you list all the starters I think he falls right around that 10-12 range. Which is significant to me. Quibbling where exactly he ranks 10-12ish is much better than 18-20ish. He is simply a very good QB. And while he's not Joe Montana, Tom Brady, or John Elway he is absolutely adequate for a team to go deep into the playoffs consistently with in my opinion. Yes you need to get the rest of your team good but that is true with anybody.

I also agree that expecting him to be that good for the next 10 years is bullshit. I think 5-6 is the more reasonable expectation with MAYBE another 1 or 2 tacked on to that if things go wildly great but still.... 5-6 years is a long time in the NFL. More than enough time to get your stuff together, get him some help, and go win something.

The chances that the 3rd, 4th, or 5th QB taken in the draft this year (which is what the Jets will have to choose from) is going to end up better than Kirk Cousins over the next 6 years is extremely low in my opinion. I think he's the way to go if he's willing. Show him love, give him money, make him "the man" and all that other crap and job #1 of any NFL team is done.... you got a QB.

harts24, dogg, Dom and 3 others like this.
  16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I also keep thinking to myself. A lot of people post things along the lines that he's not great, he's not a franchise guy, its possible to do better etc. All of that may be true but lets remember one thing. The day the ink dries on Kirk Cousins contract he instantly becomes the best QB the Jets have fielded in the last 30-40 years and possible ever. Instantly. And without debate.

So.... baby steps right? That's at least heading in the right direction.

harts24, FlaJet, Dom and 1 other person like this.
  17. grkmanga31

Cousins is turning 30 which means that you can expect anywhere from 5-7 years of good QB play. This isn't a Brett Favre scenario where the Jets tried buying a ring, this is the Jets practically investing in a QB who is entering his prime. Furthermore, Kirk may even get better within the next 2-3 seasons as some QB's don't reach their peak till 32-33.

Like I've been saying, we would all love to draft a QB, but there's a lot of risks attached to it. Macc hasn't shown he can assess QB talent. Bowles is lost, and we don't have the first or second pick in the draft. We are arguably behind 3 teams that will go QB in the first 5 picks.

harts24, TonyFtLaud and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

If Kirk Cousins signs with the Jets... I would not really care for it... I'd rather they resign McCown, draft Mayfield & Start Mayfield by week 6.

Mainejet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. abc

abc Well-Known Member

If there was a throwup emoji, I would insert it here.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. grkmanga31

I like Mayfield and I think he's the most realistic pick at 6 but what happens if the Broncos and Jets strike out on Kirk Cousins? Do you trade up to say, pick 3 to get Mayfield and in the process give up a bunch of picks?

This is why Cousins has intrigue. If we were at picks 1-3 I think a lot of people would rather go with the draft pick

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.