Breaking: Deal in Place that sends Alex Smith to the Redskins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Jan 30, 2018.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Dan Snyder is notorious for being a moron

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

As a guy who doesn't want to overpay Cousins:

1) Jacksonville is suppposedly keeping Bortles.
    2) Minny doesn't have the cap room we have and has two relatively young guys that they have to make decisions about/might still really believe in (Keenum/Bridgewater - not even bringing up Bradford, who was very good when he was healthy for them, but just can never stay healthy)
    3) I don't buy that Cleveland is more attractive than us, overall.
    4) Denver is a real possibility, but again, we have more money . . . and money talks.

Red Menace, FJF and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Someone should do a doctoral dissertation on market for starting NFL QBs. The market is whatever some moron NFL owner will pay, but the connection between QB performance and salary scale is so thin. So much so, that NFL owners had to demand a rookie salary cap just to save themselves from their own stupidity. Jamarcus Russell's 2007 rookie contract in 2007 STILL dwarfs the 2017 Trubisky contract. Not that I'm in favor of a rookie salary cap, or any salary cap at all. I'm totally in favor of billionaire NFL owners doing stupid things with their money.

But, two factors that have skewed the current NFL quarterback market more than anything else: Giselle Bundchen's ass and Enron. I could make half-hearted argument for adding the Cleveland Browns into mix for demonstrating to the market what happens when you consistently get the QB wrong, but that sort of thing is just baked into the NFL. You could also give a nod to Daniel Snyder for boxing himself into a corner with Kirk Cousins and inflating Cousins' value pretty nicely.

However, if Tom Brady married a frumpy grocery clerk with a fat ass instead of a supermodel making $30 million a year, does anyone think he'd be so agreeable to a middle-tier NFL salary? I appreciate that salary and contract value aren't synonymous. He's still working well below what the market would pay for his performance. On the other hand, Bob McNair bid against himself to overpay for a meatsack QB with just SEVEN starts over four years, and then had to pay the Browns with a second round draft pick to take the contract off his hands. And Enron? McNair would be making stupid QB investments in the first place if Enron hadn't written a $billion-plus check to buy McNair's company, which he then turned around and used to purchase the expansion Texans. Stupid player contracts are nothing new, but I think the market is still digesting the Osweiler contract and its aftershock.

If I were an NFL QB, I'd be sending Brock Osweiler and Kirk Cousins Thai hookers every day of the year for their contribution to the NFL QB market, and I'd be leaving flaming bags of dogshit on Tom Brady's porch for depressing it.

#183 Sundayjack, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That does not even count the factor of Joe Flacco winning the big game at the right time and taking it to the bank and his game going into the tank. He's done as much good for mediocre QB's getting paid as anyone.

Sundayjack likes this.
  5. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

There has been ONE 4,000 yard passing season in Jets history. Kirk Cousins has done it the last three years! What is not to like about that?

You go into the season with a top 10 QB (albeit towards the bottom 10) for the first time in how long? Rather than overpay for dline or positions that don't matter, why not overpay for the one position that matters the most? And unlike Fitzpatrick, McCown, Farve, etc... Cousins could play with the Jets for 7+ years.

Use the rest of their cap space to building around Cousins and the first three draft picks to build the offense. They could completely overhaul the offensive line, RB and QB in one offseason.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I wish it was March already. Cousins is an instant improvement for us. If Denver lands him tho, that gives us a better chance at Rosen or Baker. Basically, Cousins provides a win win for the Jets.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You really should post more

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

And he would sign it instantly guaranteeing him $34 million in base salary for 2019 and forcing the Redskins to trade what little talent they have to get under the cap.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This is fair.

No matter which side of the draft-a-qb/sign Cousins fence you are on, the Alex Smith trade puts the Jets in a better position to land their next QB than they were beforehand.

FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the only thing is, realistically looking at the NFL salary structure since the new CBA the QB market was actually set by rodgers and ryan and it just grows proportionately with the cap growth.

11. GasedAndConfused

which ironically was only made possible due to the NFL cap and the Chiefs drafting mahomes

12. Sundayjack

Maybe the Patriots should be added to the list. Flacco plays just well enough to keep the Ravens hovering around the Mendoza line he as Superbowl win going through Foxboro. Osweiler goes 5-2 in Denver, but one of them happens to be against the Patriots. In both cases it was defense that deserved the credit, but it's not crazy to think that there's at least some relationship between beating the Patriots and QB contracts. You might even add the Sanchez extension into that mix.

Harpua likes this.
  13. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Well, I will state the obvious: Bob McNair didn't invent overpaying for...Scott Mitchell...Neil O'Donnell...etc. And I almost wish somebody would tell me I ought to post more often.

As for overpaying for Cousins, I guess you have to. Yes, rarely does it happen, but a journeyman can lead a team to a Superbowl. But the defense has to be a once-in-a-decade quality to get that done and lord knows if we haven't reached that level already with a decade of top picks on defense and a decade of "defensive masterminds" running the show, its time to throw in the towel and do something different. Overpay for a sure thing franchise QB. Do it.

Edit: scratch O'Donnell. It just felt like we overpaid for an inexperienced hack.

#193 hiker, Jan 31, 2018
    TonyFtLaud and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you should post more often.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. Sundayjack

Yeah, but in the twisted world of QB contracts, I look at NFL owners paying whacked-out dollars to KEEP a serviceable QB on their roster as all baked-in. It's why the Redskins paid Kirk Cousins $45 million under the franchise tag. It's also why the free agent market for decent QBs is virtually nonexistent, giving us the Osweiler contract, which was really nothing more than shitty talent evaluation. But that's nothing new either. Just on the issue of QB market distortion, though, I think what Tom Brady does to his fellow NFL QBs is pretty shitty. I posted about this at when Deflategate was going on, when he was feeding us a line about how he had to appeal because he owed it to his fellow NFLPA members. Such horseshit. At the same time, all we hear is how Tom Brady structures his contract to take LESS than he's worth "for the good of the team." When the QB with the best record of success in the league plays at a discount it affects every other QB contract, and I doubt he'd be so "generous" with the Patriots if he didn't have a wife that makes as much, or more, than he does.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

it's supply and demand. the market for what teams consider a franchise QB (which is a pretty low bar IMO) dictates they get X more dollars then the last one to sign based on the increase of the cap and inflation. there are 32 jobs in the world for a starting NFL QB and not even 32 people in the world capable of handling that job. that means even a decent one is worth their weight in gold.

lets not forget SF gave kaepernick 100+ million and traded away alex smith. that was even worse then osweiler

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Sundayjack

Geezus! It's been a while. Hope you're well.

Yeah, I agree (see post above). It's just a simple reality in the NFL - a decent starting QB almost never hits the open market and the middle-tier guys that do will almost always find some sucker to "overpay". Although, it's not really overpaying; it's just how the QB market works. Probably a decent off-set to Tom Brady manipulating the top end.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Well done......[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  19. Long time no posts. You're perspective is always appreciated. Hope you are well!

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Everyone talks about broncos, browns being the most competition for us to sign kirk
    But I think the bills are the team that would be most appealing to kirk. They are a playoff team, they
    Have close to 30m in cap. A better OL and running game, good defence, and unfortunately the bills signing kirk doesn't help us on Draft day like broncos or browns getting kirk would.
    My bet is he ends up in Buffalo

#200 BudJet, Jan 31, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.