Breaking: Deal in Place that sends Alex Smith to the Redskins

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Jan 30, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fair.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mccown isn't even an "if". he sucks. plain and simple. cheap or not. If Josh Mccown is your QB, that is rock bottom.

Signing Kirk Cousins is a risk but it is trying to get better. Trying to win. Settling for Josh mccown is opening a bottle of the cheapest whiskey and relaxing while it all burns down. I dont wanna do that again

NYJalltheway and FJF like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

One of my younger days favorites ...ahahahahahah a

Yes to William Shatner NO to Kirk Cousins

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cousins>>>>Buy Tequila and he's the Worm in a Fancy Bottle

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That only happens if we draft players worth paying a lot or having to over spend in free agency. If it’s the former,those are good problems in the nfl, if it’s the latter we will suck anyway

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Truth be told, I really don't see the Jets being a competitive landing place for Cousins. Not that I want him anyway.

I think when teams like Jacksonville, Minnesota, Denver, and even Cleveland (I think they are more attractive than Jets) come knocking, I think Cousins will not even consider signing with the Jets.

The Jets/Mac have continually said that they are building their team through the draft. If they are true to their word, they may put "feelers" out there for Cousins, but won't be willing to ante up like some of these win now teams. The New York Jets should absolutely decide on a QB in this upcoming draft. Trade up for Rosen/Darnold or sit at 6 and hope Mayfield/Allen are there. That's the decision I think they will be trying to make over the new few months.

To be clear, if Cleveland takes Darnold/Allen 1 and Giants take Barkley 2, the Jets HAVE to swing a deal to get to #3 and take Chosen Rosen. Of all the QB's in college, he is the one that I believe will be a Pro Bowl caliber player.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Found these[​IMG][​IMG]

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

They can still tag him to try to force a trade. If they do, hands off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I can't see them being that sinister. I mean you're not wrong, but that would be really bad media for them.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If they tag him and he signs it, they have i believe 24 hours to get under the cap. That 34 mill would be a ticking time bomb to them keeping them from making other moves.they have 52 mil in space with out Smith or Cousins contracts. Smiths cap number is 20 mill ... cousins 34 would put them 2 mill over.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

smioths cap number will be much lower. he signed a new deal with the skins

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would normally agree but I think the difference obviously stems from whether you believe Cousins is a FQB or he's just a middling QB. I think he's the former and would essentially allow for the jets to stop having to address the QB situation and then focus on plugging the holes like o-line, EDGE, Corner.

I also think that Cousins + good draft and maybe a LT or C signing in FA, plus Allen Robinson would allow us to instantly compete for a playoff spot.

BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

so the skins gave smith a 23.5mil per year deal. essentially saving about 6.5mil a year in letting go of cousins. Cousins has also raved about bates and said he wants to be somewhere he can win and isn't just about the highest bidder. I'm thinking that comment is essentially meaning he doens't want to play for the browns.

looking at teams in the market for a QB possibly. but lets start with those that aren't

jags - committed to keeping bortles and only have 16.5 mil in cap room
    niners - no way they don't stick with jimmy g. they will resign him
    vikings - they'll likely keep 1 of their own. either bradford, keenum, or bridgewater. maybe even get lucky and keep 2 they have some cap room (53 million)

Now teams competing for cousins
    Browns - the most cap at 109 mil but have won 1 game in the past 2 years total. I don't think he wants to play there
    Broncos - solid team but just as bad as we were last year. largely due to the QB position. they have only 26 mil in cap room. cousins stands to get 28-30 mil a season.
    bills - could cut taylor and make a run but that gives another QB option on the market if they do. they have 29mil in space. I think it's likely they keep taylor and try to improve around him
    cards - need a QB badly but only have 8 mil in cap room. they won't be able to make a serious offer
    Jets - we have plenty of room with 72 mil currently which will shoot up an extra 11 mil when we drop wilks ass. we also have a young team growing. even dropping a bunch on cousins won't prevent us from adding more free agents and we have 3 picks in the 1st 2 rounds including 6th overall. gives us flexibility in the draft.

Realistically speaking, the jets are really the best option for cousins as it stands. we have the best combo of money and talent with a need at QB. he comes to a WR group of enunwa, anderson, and kearse. TEs like ASJ. RBs powell and maguire. We can also improve via free agency like maybe adding a allen robinson or jarvis landry or drafting one in the 2nd (st brown)

14. grkmanga31

IMO its going to come down to the Jets, Broncos and Vikings.

The Jags are also a sneaky team that mite get into the sweepstakes but I'm unsure about that. Bortles had wrist surgery but at 19 mil cap hit, hard to see the Jags retaining him.

15. GasedAndConfused

jags can't release him. the surgery means his 19mil is guaranteed. they don't have money for both. cousins isn't an options for them.

the vikings could happen but they have 3 Qbs who played well in their system. they also get cook back next year as well and will need to pay to keep diggs and theilan. it would be better for them to keep 1 or 2 of their 3 current QBs.

so that leaves the jets and broncos. we have more money. they might be a better team in some eyes but they are also an aging team. the jets can offer longevity.

16. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

please don't sign Kirk Cousins because he is not good enough to lead us to Superbowl! I would rather take a chance on drafting a QB.

17. GasedAndConfused

the chances of even 1 of the QBs in the draft being as good as cousins is pretty slim. the chances of us landing the 1 that could wind up better then him is even worse.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My problem with the Redskins is they have acted as if Cousins is not good enough to give an extension to, but then they give ALEX SMITH a 5-year deal? That makes them look insane.

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Cleveland has 2 of the top picks in the draft. They are better off taking the best QB and the best RB and using their cap space elsewhere.

Denver doesn't have a ton of cap space and to get more the likely cuts are Talib and Sanders. That leaves Denver with 1 WR, no RB with little to spend if they sign Cousins. That roster isn't good enough to attract Cousins.

Minn is a real possibility, the question is do they wind up with Keenum or Teddy as their QB or go after Cousins.

If Jax cuts Bortles they'll have about 35mm in cap space. That's not enough to get Cousins and sign players and they need better WR's especially if it will take Robinson time to get back to what he was next year.

I got an alert that has Arizona as a player too. I don't see it, they just don't have the cap room and aside from a Palmer retirement they'd have to cut the core of their team to afford him and sign other players.

I don't think Buffalo or Miami are attractive landing spots.

My gut says its either Minn or the Jets where he winds up. If Cousins goes brain dead Denver would be choice #3.

20. grkmanga31

Just read an article from Bleacher report citing Ian Rappaport stating the Jags are intending to keep Bortles as their QB for 2018. Apparently, if he doesn't pass his physical on the first day of the new league year, his salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Here is the excerpt "
    ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Bortles had surgery on his right wrist that had been the source of lingering issues since December 2016.

The Jaguars picked up the fifth-year option for 2018 on Bortles' rookie deal in May. His $19 million salary for next season becomes fully guaranteed if he's unable to pass a physical on the first day of the new league year in March, per USA Today's Steven Ruiz."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-be-jaguars-qb-in-2018-despite-wrist-injury

Vikings still remain the dark horse. The only thing that would change my mind about this is if they re-signed Keenum or Teddy to a long term deal. Keenum would obviously be the more likely for this to happen.

In terms of the Broncos, 100% agree. Also, they're trying to get rid of Aqib Talib to make cap space