What if Jimmy the Jet is a possibility and Plan A

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

When did Idzik have a chance to sign Jimmy? This is the first time he’s been a free agent since he’s been in the league.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

They are already talking extension. The Niners and Kyle couldn't have asked for a better position. You can sign him up for a rather friendly but lucrative offer and he will be the Niners franchise QB for years to come.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

JG isn't going anywhere folks. come now, lynch isn't stupid he knows the value of a qb.

he just gave up a second rounder, chump change for a QB these days. they'll pay him market value.

LF911SC likes this.
  4. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

No way Hoodie would have traded him to Jets....he hates us....even though he was the one that screwed us!!!

KurtTheJetsFan and FlaJet like this.
  5. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

A piece of Dogshit is going easy, I will forever hate that "waste of a life" for his Desertion of the NYJ as
    HC....I hope he dies a horrible death!!!

KurtTheJetsFan and FlaJet like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

. If the 49s tag him, the Jets can not negotiate with him.
    Your confusing UFA with RFA tenders.

7. TonyFtLaud

I think he was referring to the 2014 draft.

8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

There was no reason to draft JG. Geno showed some improvement, was already on the roster and hadn't proven he was incapable yet. This is the kind of talk fans with the benefit of hindsight get to use as reason to complain about their team and promote the woe is me, we are so pathetic agenda.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Gimme a break...woe is me for STAYING A FAN for almost 50 years...!!!!!!!!

The whole organization in HINDSIGHT has been FULL of bad decisions and MISTAKES that maybe get rectified

Hmmm..and you have been waving the Jet flag 16 months now or something????

Geno suxed but the Genobots ...which you may have been a part of kept up his stupid Fanbase

Lemme ask you where is Geno now ??? LMAO

What's worse the decision maker John Idzik...like Mac could not admit he made a BIG mistake with Geno and hung on to that loser instead of cutting bait and grabbing JG

10. LF911SC

No kidding, they've made mistakes. Of course that has nothing to do with whether they should have drafted JG off of need and his college career. And that Geno never developed here has absolutely nothing to do with it. It was we weren't drafting a QB one year later. Not real hard to grasp that idea. Yes, it's totally out of of hindsight to complain today. Almost no one was clamoring for him that draft. But now it's, we always screw up whining show. Hey, we should have drafted Brady before the 6th too, Wilson before the 3rd, etc, etc.

If it makes you feel better to call anyone who understands this a Genobot, or a 16 month flagwaver, part of a stupid fanbase makes you feel better, go for it.

#30 LF911SC, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It depends on the tag the Niners give him. They're going to give him an exclusive rights deal. Can't imagine letting him potentially siginging with someone for the non-exclusive unless they want the two first round picks. But the options are there and hope are there. Read the article below you'll see how it works.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/2/14/14584232/how-does-the-nfl-franchise-tag-work-players-paid

12. TonyFtLaud

It would make no sense for the 49's not to use the exclusive rights tag on him. There's as much hope of him becoming the Jets QB next season as there is for Carr, Wentz, Dak or any of the next generation FQBs joining the roster. The 49s have more than enough cap space to Tag or sign him long term. I don't think they get a long term deal done this off-season. It makes more sense for both sides to go the 1 year route. The 49's get a full season to evaluate him, though he looked great and he gets a large guaranteed salary for the year with more negotiating power next year if he performs like he did over the 5 games to end this season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%. For the 9ers not to franchise him and expose him to other teams would be stupid. But if they did the Jets should jump all over him.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No shot, at this point both sides are posturing but I expect they will lock him up. They didn't trade a 2nd for him no reason and with the way they started winning with him, they'll give him what he wants within reason.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. LF911SC

There's not a chance in hell they leave him vulnerable to be picked up by another team.

Hope has nothing to do with it. He's a 49r.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Pretty remote possibility, but I could paint a scenario with a crapload of "ifs" attached. For shits and giggles, but I'll take a crack at it. With the caveat to anyone reading that I'm not going to argue probabilities here. Note all the "ifs", "maybes", "coulds", "mays", and so forth.

It starts with the basic premise that, if a team like SF is willing to put an exclusive tag on Garoppolo for 2018, they'd have to also at least be willing to do it a second year if necessary. Unless they somehow think they can groom CJ Beathard into a serviceable NFL starter - doubtful - that's a pretty reckless investment to flush away for a single year only to be left floundering at the QB position 12-months later (N.B. I said "at least be willing" to tag him a second year).

Then, if the Redskins can't sign Kirk Cousins, and if he hits the open market, and if the 49ers get all jittery (and should) at the thought of a possible $50-60 million, two-year franchise tag investment in Garoppolo, I could see them taking a shot at a longer-term solution in Kirk Cousins. Jimmy has only seven starts. He'd have nine, but he was injured in 2016 after just two games. Seven pretty good games, showing a lot of promise, but Garoppolo's agent may try to use the Derek Carr contract as his jumping-off point. Same draft year, same round, ton of SF cap space, and an argument that Garoppolo would have a similar track record if only he weren't stuck behind Tom Brady. Still, only seven starts and an injury on his resume, the 49ers may want to focus in the range of the Glennon contract, particularly for the three-year length. Maybe they just want to see a little more and they'd prefer to tinker with the franchise tag and revisit negotiations after another half-season or so. So, Glennon vs. Carr. I'm not saying either side is right. The proper landing point is probably somewhere in between. I tend to lean more toward the Carr side. Pretty big gap, though. Then, if Garoppolo shows the same level of play and success, the Carr contract becomes JimmyG's new starting point upward. Maybe SF just doesn't have the stomach for that.

But, if it all played out like that, and if the 49ers weren't willing to go all-in on Garoppolo but may be willing to go all-in on Cousins, then JimmyG hits the open market, where there is no doubt some NFL team willing throw Derek Carr money at him 2018, rather fiddle with the list of crapshoots in the 2018 draft. On the open market, with all of the lunchmeat taking snaps in the NFL, that'd have to be the end result. Some NFL owner willing to throw around crazy money - it's the only part of this that's certain.

The chance of all that falling into place? Eh. Depends. Maybe Kyle Shanahan really likes Jimmy Garoppolo, but LOVES Kirk Cousins. That's really what it all boils down to. Running it all through my elaborate system of spreadsheets and and algorithms, I've calculated the likelihood of all that happening as. . . .

. . . not enough to have wasted as much fucking time as I did scribbling-out all this nonsense.

#36 Sundayjack, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

It would be nice to go into Foxboro with Garappalo as our starting QB.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Getting Jimmy would be like a wet dream for us but no way in hell that happens.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I say we try and trade for Jimmy and SF can go all in on Cousins.

Kyle Shanahan loves Cousins and Cousins loves him back.. mac should be trying to move heaven and earth to pry Jimmy away and SF still get their guy they wanted.....

Give them our 2nd and sweeten it with a 3rd as well ffs just get it done!!

20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen but would love it. That being said if we traded for him it'd be for a one at this point.