Most likely the Jets will overpay. But for who?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 28, 2018.

?

Who/What will the Jets overpay for?

1. To trade up in draft.

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. To sign a free agent QB like Cousins

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. None. Either a cheap free agent QB or a rookie QB without trading up.

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

This is who we will likely see next season for the Jets at quarterback.

[​IMG]
    Week 1 Starter: Josh McCown

[​IMG]
    Backup Quarterback: Josh Allen

[​IMG]
    3rd Quarterback: Christian Hackenberg

This just feels so Maccagnan.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Since free agency is before the draft, I would first try to get a veteran QB. My top choice is Cousins; I would pay up to $30 million to sign him. My second choice is Alex Smith, and then there are a few QBs I would consider, led by Tyrod Taylor. If I landed Cousins I wouldn't draft a QB, but he's the only one where I wouldn't draft his replacement. Assuming I don't get Cousins, I would trade up to 3 for Darnold or Rosen (Darnold is my top choice). If both of them are gone at 1 and 2, I would take Mayfield at 6.

grkmanga31, Brook! and JetsNation06 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that it has too many holes to trade away picks, but then to get the QB prospect they want, they're probably going to have to trade up. It might work out best for the Jets, however, if Mac is unable to trade up and winds up having to take the best QB left at #6.

With all the cap space the Jets have (and they will have more if they cut Forté, Skrine and Ijalana), the Jets should be able to seriously upgrade the starting OL. He should be able to come away with at least a new starting C and OG, if not adding backup C and OG as well. He should be able to add a CB to help solidify the secondary. Even if he does nothing else in FA other than re-sign their own FAs that they wish to keep and McCown, that should make the team a lot better and more competitive. If he can also add Allen Robinson or DeMarcus Lawrence or Ziggy Ansah, that should make the Jets even better.

4. NCJetsfan

Thank God you aren't our GM then. History has shown that trading one's whole draft only works for the team receiving all the draft picks.

Leicester Jet and tomdeb like this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Overpaid? Mac and Bowles

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

FA will be telling. If they sign a Cousins, that means they will surely look at other positions to build thru the draft. If they sign a 2nd tier QB, it means they will surely draft one in the first round.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Which rookie QB in this draft do you see being the guy to come in and carry this team on his back? Remember, your sacrificing multiple early picks to move up for him, limiting your ability to address o line , skill positions and improving the D for this draft and likely next as well.
    Also if you look at the teams who have had recent success with young QBs, the common theme is they had pretty established rosters and were needing a QB, Dak, Goff,Wentz ,Mariota all have solid rosters. None of those teams built around the QB. He was the final piece.
    Then you have the opposite spectrum where the Bucs, Brown's tried to get the QB and build later. Well scratch the Browns, they just can't do anything right...

#27 TonyFtLaud, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am not sure it would be that bad..but if it is it's a necessary evil

Actually those positions you mentioned can be filled, at worse, in FA (only younger vets please) for O line and other skill positions..like say Edge Rusher or CB

Improving the D??? Are you kidding.????..we had 8 drafts of that sh*t and where did Toilet and Kacy take it to??

You can't even mention Defense for draft Tony unless you want Billboards again

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I have no doubt that the Jets will be very aggressive in trying to acquire Cousins. If we land him, there's no way we go QB in the first.

On the contrary, if we strike out and re-sign McCown on a 1 year deal then you know we're going to be drafted one at 6.

10. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Can anyone answer this question. Why does New York brand isn't effective anymore for players. Not only football but for baseball and basketball as well. Is it due to technology(twitter, instagram) making the marketing of stars easier? I don't know man. If I am Cousins I will choose to be the king of New York City instead of being king of say Denver or any other team.

11. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

The spotlight works both ways. When things are going well you are a God, when things go poorly you get destroyed. Why take on the extra stress when you can make the same money elsewhere in a smaller market where the media and fans will be far more forgiving. We have the same issues up here with the Leafs. Young guys get burned out quick from the never ending scrutiny. Look at the up and down coverage of Eli over his career, some guys will welcome the challenge, others will prefer to avoid the hassle.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Can't see Mac trading up -
    Legal weed.

13. playtowinthegame

You know Rashard Robinson wants to play there. :D

14. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Great way to lose his job in a QB rich draft when the biggest hole to fill is QB. If he trades back and doesn't get the QB he should be fired immediately.

15. TonyFtLaud

Again, name the QB, and the O linemen , the WRs your going to sign in Free Agency. Because there are not many names out there. The receiver pool is dwindling quickly , Nate Solder is the cream of the crop for O line, RB? Bell will be tagged again.
    I can mention D for the Draft. Doesn't have to be the #6 pick but talent dictates who is drafted.
    Last year's draft was stacked with D and RBs. This year's draft has some very good O linemen. C ,T , and guard.
    You are completely ignoring what I posted. Give me names.

16. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

How did Foles work out in LA? Exactly the same way he would work out here. It's the best QB draft in recent memory, but let's forget about that and overpay for a guy that's on his 4th or 5th team. Geez.

The only guy I would sign and not draft a QB is Luck and he most likely won't be available.

17. NCJetsfan

You didn't ask me, but how about the following?

As far as QB, in an ideal world, I'd either re-sign McCown unless he wanted ridiculous money and then draft Baker Mayfield, or sign Teddy Bridgewater if he's available and draft Baker Mayfield. Some posters may be right and McCown may be awful this year. Even if he is, that would help force Bowles' hand to playing Mayfield sooner, but I don't think he would be. He knows this offense, and has chemistry with the receivers. If nothing else, he would be a big help to Mayfield, who I think could probably play fairly early his rookie season. If McCown played well, it would enable Mayfield to sit and learn a little longer. If McCown got injured early, it would be the same as if he played poorly.

As for the OL, I agree that it needs to be fixed, but the great news is that it can in FA. The Jets can sign Andrew Norwell if he hits FA and that would fix the LG spot. If Norwell doesn't become a FA, re-signs with the Panthers, or doesn't want to sign with the Jets, there's Senio Kelemete (27) of the Saints, and Xavier Sua'Filo (27) of the Texans.

In terms of depth, Dozier supposedly improved last year, but if not, there could be several options. The Cowboys only have a little over $18 million cap space, and DeMarcus Lawrence will probably take up most of that, so the Cowboys OL Joe Looney will probably be a FA. He was their backup C and RG. The Chiefs' Zach Fulton (26), listed as an OG, but shown on KC's depth chart as their starting center could also be a FA. Spotrac lists 17 potential FA OGs who are 27 and younger. Surely some of them will be available, better than Carpenter, fit our zone blocking scheme, and some would be better depth than what we presently have.

Potential FA centers who were starters for their teams include Ryan Jensen of the Ravens and Weston Richburg of the Giants (both 26), Corey LInsley (26) of the Packers, Russell Bodine of the Bengals (25) or Travis Swanson of the Lions (26). The Redskins former starting C is Spencer Long (27). He was on IR in 2017 and they have 3 other centers on the roster. Long may be available, or they may re-sign him and cut one or two of the others. I think there's a very good chance that the Jets could sign one of them to be their new starter.

As far as depth, Brian Schwenke (27) was the Titans backup C. Luke Bowanko (26) was the Ravens backup C. I have no idea if either would be an upgrade over Wesley Johnson or Jonotthan Harrison, but could be solid depth. Some others would possibly shake loose as well with cap cuts and following TC.

At RT, I'd love to add Adrian Waddle of the Patriots, but doubt he'll reach FA, and even if does, don't think he would ever agree to sign with the Jets. He'd just use us to drive up his contract with whomever he signed.

At RT there are several players who could be available (7 who are 27 or younger). The Ravens' James Hurst, the Rams' Cornelius Lucas, the Cardinals’ Earl Watford, the Bills’ Seantrel Henderson, or the Chargers’ Michael Schofield could be available, and I hope that one of them will be signed either as the starter or to compete with/push Shell at RT. Hurst and Schofield can also play OG. Lucas and Henderson can also play the LT spot. If we cut Ijalana, we will need a backup at LT, so it would probably make more sense to sign either Lucas or Henderson. The Rams have $43.5 million in cap space, so should be able to re-sign Lucas. Unless we just blew him away with a lot more money than the Rams and getting paid more was more important to him than winning, I can't imagine why he'd leave the Rams to come to the Jets. Certainly there must be one the Jets can sign who will push or beat our Shell at RT, or at least be better than Qvale.

I don't think any rookie QB can come in and carry any team. Peyton Manning didn't, Aaron Rogers didn't, Brady didn't, etc. The good news he doesn't have to. The Jets are a rebuilding team. Their probably won't be playoff expectations next season either from the Johnsons, particularly if they draft a QB at #6.

The OL could be fixed, or certainly upgraded quite a bit prior to the draft. Trading multiple draft picks and next year's #1 & #2 picks would definitely hurt, but the Jets will have even more cap space next year, and they could sign more young FAs to address needs at those positions. I'm hoping that the Broncos will sign Cousins and the Jets won't have to trade up, but if they do, I'd rather do that for a reasonable price than miss out on this QB class or hope that a QB drafted in a middle round would miraculously be their FQB.

Just because the Titans, Rams and Cowboys got lucky, doesn't mean that's they way it has to be. In the past successful teams drafted their QB first and then built around him.

The Bucs drafted an extremely physically talented QB who is also immature, was often a slow starter in college, and in spite of his supposed great football IQ, forced a lot of throws and threw a pretty large number of interceptions. They haven't drafted very wisely or had very good coaching, either.

Leicester Jet, egelband and Brook! like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

As you well know, most of the quality players you listed will never reach Free Agency and the others are second and third tier players who will not be much if any improvement over the second and third tier players we're looking to replace.
    Cousins going to the Broncos won't change anything as far as the draft, in fact it would make it easier for teams to leap in front of us and steal the QB from us at 5 .There are plenty of QB needy teams behind us and the Broncos could easily trade back to add more picks.

Now I know your usually very big on character and I am much more forgiving, so I am surprised that even though as you mentioned, we are rebuilding, your willing to part with 4-5 premium picks to draft Mayfield. Besides the arrest, and the crotch grab, flag planting nonsense, the thing I thought would offend you most was intentionally hitting an opposing player who was just returning from a 2 week absence for a concussion , in the head with a football from 10 yards away, causing that player to miss the game. (He did show great accuracy short accuracy there though. LOL) He also did the same think a couple of times at Texas Tech as well.
    I don't question his talent, but IMO, his height , and hand size coupled with his baggage makes him a bit risky to give up so much to draft him.

There is no set blueprint to build a team, just one pretty surefire way not too. Redskins showed us that you can't buy a title in the NFL . Building through free agency has never and will never work. It's just a way to add a couple of complementary pices to complete a roster. Quality players rarely hit the market and when they do there are alot teams fighting for their services so they are way overpaid. This roster has holes everywhere. Address those holes in free agency and you lose the ability to keep your own players come contract time and your left with overpaid aged out vets(2016) it's like DeJa Vue all over again.
    You were onboard with the patient rebuild not long ago, what have you seen from the current roster to change your mind?

#38 TonyFtLaud, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    egelband likes this.
  19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I would sign up for it. McCown is the perfect guy to have in the room with Josh Allen.

20. playtowinthegame

It's not what I want, but what I expect.

ColoradoContrails likes this.