Senior Bowl News

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Jan 23, 2018.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I love this player, he's electric. The Jets could use a dynamic player like Penny.

I think he will be a very high second rd pick at worst.

2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I agree its completely unfair to expect Josh Allen to put the team on his shoulders and win in 2018 but I don't see why he couldn't be put on the field in 2018. Most really good QB's go through a year or two of learning on the job and taking their lumps. Aikman, Bledsoe, Peyton, Elway... those guys all won like 1, 2 or 3 games in their first year didn't they?

I'm very interested in how these guys turn out. I'm pro-Josh Allen and Falk and rather skeptical of Mayfield and Jackson. I also think Allen and Rosen are the least likely to be available at the Jets #6 pick. And that is too bad because given a little time I can definitely imagine Allen developing into a true franchise QB that has a 10+ year run as a starter.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

What impressed me with Allen is despite having a subpar first half performance (I really only counted one of 5 balls that was drastically off target) he comes back and brings the team right back in the second half. It shows his gamesmanship and tenacity. His touch throws are incredibly accurate, so much for every saying he only has one speed. I saw it last year where he was throwing the ball with touch 35 yards down the field with a flick of the wrist into super tight coverage down the sideline to Maulhardt in stride and I see it again today.

He learns from his mistakes but doesn't let them get into his head. He's the kind of guy who screws up but comes back and makes up for it. He's strong in the pocket and can escape. He needs to become more consistent with his footwork, obviously. That slip on his last play of the day was unfortunate and nearly led to a turnover.

Lauletta also looked like the real deal.

matt robinson 17 and westiedog1 like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cut Hack. Those 3 look to have a brighter future.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed, Penny was under the radar before the Senior Bowl game. Doesn't look good for him to be available with our 2nd, 2nd rounder. Powell is turning 30. Not sure if McGuire is a 3 down back either.

6. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Just watched most of the bowl game. Was sort of zoning out towards the end so hard to evaluate Lauletta. The thing I was mostly looking at was their heads. White was really good at looking off receivers, and going through reads. I noticed Mayfield and Allen really locking onto a single receiver for the most part, which is concerning.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I fear the same. Maccagnan needs to distance himself from that approach because it obviously hasn't worked. Why draft a college QB who hasn't even reached 60% completion percentage over a QB like Mayfield, who has gotten better every season. To me its common sense that you go with the guy who continues to improve over the guy who stagnated.

Allen, physically, is what you want, but if you can't put the pieces together, then what's the point?

It's another Hack pick in the making.

I'm praying Maccagnan feels a sense of urgency and recognizes this offseason will determine his fate. If we strike out on Cousins, and I think this is possible because I think John Elway is going to go for broke to get him because he hasn't looked exactly great since Peyton left. This opens up the door for the Jets to select Baker at 6

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Senior Bowl in full

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I wonder how high Lauleta, White, and Falk can go now. This next tier of QBs seem like quality Day 2 options. But how significantly below the other top prospects are they?

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Falk is much better and closer to the top prospects than many give him credit for. He just needed exposure outside of the Mike Leach system and now he has it.

Falk will be a late 1st round pick when it's draft time. White and Lauleta are not close to Falks level.

They should be 3rd or 4th round picks as long as they continue to have a good showing until draft day.

Teams usually will take flyer on a QB for the sake of depth or project status in those rounds. They could turn out to better in the long run, it just seems to me that the blueprint for GMs is to wait until later rounds for QBs that are not tier 1 guys.

JetFanInPA, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a guy named Brady...you might've heard of him. He was said to have an under-whelming arm but improved it after he got drafted by some stupid team that took him in the 6th round.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Falk pushes himself ahead of Allen in the top QB picks conversation.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Is Falk good enough to be under consideration for the Jets top QB pick then? Not at 6, but maybe later in the 1st

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe he should be, especially if Jets are going to continue using WCO. They can trade up with one of their 2nds, but honestly with so many holes to fix on this team, I don't see Mac trading away picks to move up.

He will probably just allow the board to fall to him in particular with his 2 second rounders. Those picks could change the fortunes of this team for a while.

3 starters in 2018 with first three picks would be awesome.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!! :D:D:D

16. NCJetsfan

Plus 1,000,000,000

grkmanga31 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

It would be great if that were to happen. It might be a sign that some sense of sanity has returned to the NFL, but I doubt it does. QBs are just too important in today's NFL, too few teams have topnotch QBs, and there are just too many JAG QBs that are able to hold on in the NFL because of the lack of quality starting QBs. I think teams will continue to reach for QBs out of desperation.

I think Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield will ALL go top 10, and they all deserve to. Discrediting Mayfield because he's short is nuts, imo. Every year players with great collegiate production, great desire and intangibles fall in the draft because they don't "measure up" to some physical idea for their position, and those players go on to become great players. Any team that needs a QB passing on Mayfield is gonna regret it. I could also see Jackson and Allen going top 15 to 20, maybe even top 10.

18. NCJetsfan

IMO Mark Sanchez is NOT a good example. The Jets still traded up to #6 to take him. IMO he should have even been a top 20 pick, and maybe not even a 1st round pick.

19. NCJetsfan

I think he fell to 12 because of his reported lack of arm strength. If not for that, I think he would have probably been a top 5 pick.

20. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I would be absolutely stunned if that happened. Falk right now is likely a mid day 2 pick while Allen is likely a top 5 pick.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.