Screw it, the Jets need to make the trade for the 3rd overall pick, no risk, no reward

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Deathstroke, Jan 27, 2018.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

My amateur opinion is that Darnold and to a greater extent Allen will both go lower than their common projections, and that Mayfield and Jackson will both climb. I expect Rosen to go right where he's being predicted to go.

Also, in regards to Indy... you have to a) feel absolutely certain about one of these prospects and b) have a trade for Luck lined up that is not a net loss; the risk is too great for them to blow that decision when they could instead draft Saquon Barkley and have an amazing 1-2 punch, also taking pressure off of Luck.

Barkley is so damn good I wouldn't blame any team taking him instead of a QB. Teams that already have a QB (Colts... Giants...), this is a slam dunk pick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Luck is probably not tradeable at this point. He would have to pass a physical to make a trade work and no other teams doctor is going to look at that shoulder and give the gold seal of approval until Luck gets back on the field again.

The chronic shoulder issue that Luck has right now is probably 50/50 to retire him.

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Dont forget Joe Fields. Even before Parcells came to the Giants.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fields was a good solid player. Mawae was a superstar at C. Mangold was somewhere in between the two.

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It would be the Jets-iest of Jets moves to trade up to #3 in a two man draft.

FJF and playtowinthegame like this.
  6. LF911SC

Fields was better than a good, solid player. Mawae was a real superstar, one of the best trades the Jets ever made.

Br4d and mrjet80 like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If the Jets were to trade up the Colts pick is probably the one to target.

I think the chances are extremely high that if they stay at pick #6 Barkley, Allen, Rosen and Darnold will not be available to select. If you trade to the #3 spot all of a sudden you at borderline guaranteed a choice between all but 1 of the draftable QBs assuming one of them and Barkley go with the first two picks.

So much of this though depends on how the Jets are evaluating the many options available. That is really what matters most. I wish I knew what they were thinking but I guess we'll roughly find out soon enough.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I agree but with that said I think the Chargers were in that mindset when they drafted Phillip rivers due to Brees injury. We know how that turned out. Nothing against rivers but I think that keeping Brees and drafting a high impact player first overall could have made a bigger impact.

Br4d likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We need to get a FQB one way or another. If it means trading up to the 3rd pick, so be it. That said, Mac shouldn't become Tanny 2.0 and give away draft picks like candy on a regular basis.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Fields was an all-pro and lasted almost 15 years - not bad for a 14th round draft pick. Mawae was a superstar but I'm pretty sure the Jets signed him as a FA....Mangold was just about as good....Jim Sweeny was a converted tackle and was pretty decent himself - he played in the 90s. So aside from 2 or 3 down years ( 1995-97 with the likes of Cal Dixon )...the Jets have been spoiled at Center. This position will be upgraded in a few weeks...

LF911SC and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

My vote is to still sign Cousins and either stay pat at 6 and get an impact player at either O line, Pass rusher or CB. Or the even better option is to have a team desperately want to jump the Dolphins at 11 for they FQB and let us trade back for picks. The Dolphins at 11 are the first team after the Jets that could be looking for a QB. Tannyhill is a huge question mark when healthy, more so now with injury issues. Miami could be banking on a future grooming their FQB while letting him sit for a year or 2. TB, CHI, OAK and SF are not taking a QB. Washington and Arizona could definitely be enticed to jump up to get their guy. Snyder has already prove he's willing to do stupid things in the draft to get a QB...

BomberJet, FJF and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Watching Allen right now at the senior bowl, they won’t even let him throw in the two minute drill.

I really would like to avoid this guy.

13. LF911SC

We have been spoiled at center. I think that's what it makes it more difficult to see how that position had fallen lately.

And you're right, Mawae was signed by Parcells as a FA.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or the Colts could trade up possibly, swapping picks with Giants - I don't think Cleveland would trade the #1 pick for anything.

15. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

How about trade to number 2, make the giants an offer.

6th overall, 37th overall , 4th rounder and Leonard Williams for 2nd overall.

Not sure that would be enough though

#35 6-10 once again, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why Williams? I'm fine with trading picks, even next year's first, but I wouldn't give up one of the few very good players they have. I'd sure give them Wilkerson if it would help.

Leicester Jet and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I think he is overrated and replaceable if he is what helps us get a franchise qb then I pull the trigger. I would much rather have next years first then Williams

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

There's enough comment around about Mac and his future. How he drafts, and whether he's still in a job on a years time.

As far as I can see, his future is linked to getting us our FQB. If he trades up and gets the guy, he's golden. If he trades up and gets the wrong guy he's toast. He stays put and gets the guy he's golden, stays put and gets the wrong guy he's toast. You get the point.

Faint heart never won fair maiden.

You have one job, Mac, one job. Bring us the future, and do it in the present.

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I hope the Jets don't trade away a billion picks to move up a couple spots. And god help us if they trade away a billion picks, move up and then pick a QB that doesn't work out. I'm with Pennyroyal10. Signing Cousins and then try your very best to get impactful help with your top 3 picks is the ideal way to play this..... if Kirk Cousins is willing to cash our checks.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  20. LF911SC

Not a chance they trade Williams. You're alone in thinking he's overrated, he's not being offered as trade bait.

Never mind you're essentially trading two number ones, a two and a four to move up a few spots. And you're not sure if it's enough? :eek: