Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

You know I'm not really that big on Case Keenum but you may be onto something here. I was thinking along these similar lines (FA to get you started AND draft a QB) with Bradford or Bridgewater but your winning me over here. Keenum probably is a better/easier to make #2 backup who may start at the beginning type than most of the other choices out there.

2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Also the other thing about Cousins that we keep forgetting and can't mention enough.

Its not a question of Kirk Cousins or X drafted quarterback which is better.

The question is X drafted QB vs. Kirk Cousins AND AND AND a #6 overall draft choice.

That is absolutely huge in my mind. Unless you manage to **** it up, which admittedly we've managed to do a few times the last few years a #6 overall pick should absolutely eliminate any other 1 hole on your team that you choose and turn it into a major positive. Huge. When you COMBINE that with Kirk Cousins there is just no realistic way the 3rd, 4th or 5th best rookie QB is going to be a better way to go.

FJF likes this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

McCown is already saying that he wants to play in 2018, and wants to come back to the Jets. Given the effusive praise Macc and Bowles lavished on him all season, does anyone doubt that that is going to happen? I believe that they will stick with their comfort level, along with what I believe is the completely mistaken belief that McCown will have another year as good as this one, thus providing another reason why I don't think Cousins will be a Jet (would they really spend upwards of $35 to $40 million on one position?).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're forgetting that Cousins is almost 30 years old. Just because Peyton Manning, and Brady and a few others played well into their 30s doesn't mean that every QB can or will. So at most, you're looking at 5-6 years of some level of "success" with Cousins, whereas with a drafted QB, you could have 10-15 years. In addition, it's just kicking the can down the road, because if they sign Cousins, they won't be drafting a QB until the last year or two of his contract.

If the Jets are ever going to achieve sustainable success, it isn't gonna be with Cousins. It will be with a QB that they draft and develop. Bates has had success developing QBs. If he is our OC, then this is the time to draft a QB, not bring in a vet. The Jets could also hire someone like Callahan (formerly the QB Coach of the Lions) or DeFilippo to be their QB Coach.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't care what the market says he's worth TO ME he's not worth that so I wouldn't pay it.

If the Jets sign Cousins to that salary this offseason with the other capable, cheaper veteran QBs that could be available plus one of the deepest QB drafts in recent memory it would be one of the worst contracts they've ever made if not the worst it'd set the organization back years and would be the final nail in the coffin for MacCagnan for me it'd be ultimate proof he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

$30 million per is game changer money Cousins is NOT a game changer he's a good QB who needs a good team around him to be effective.

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

OK... then you draft Jackson.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Macc should be fired on the spot if he takes Jackson at 6 over most likely one of Chubb or Barkley (assuming Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Mayfield are gone).

8. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I am not advocating one way or the other with regards you the Cousins potential signing. I really have not watched him play enough to have an informed opinion. However, you can't forget the ~$50M in extra guaranteed money that Cousins will likely add to the Jets salary cap.

It's all about risk / reward and how you evaluate Cousins as a QB vs. the potential of the incoming class and the Jets ability to develop that potential. IMHO there is definitely a realistic way that going the draft route for a QB is the better way to go.

You can be for signing Cousins or going with a QB in the first round of the draft and still make valid arguments.

Some here have argued that the Jets could actually actually do both. Now to me, that's crazy :).

9. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

NO WAY should we draft Lamar give me Mason Rudolph he will be the real deal but no not at 6

10. Jetsfansince95

If Barkley is there at 6 we should grab him then maybe trade back into the first round and take Rudolph

hwismer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Jetsfansince95

My first choice though would be Kirk Cousins but what do I know ...

FJF likes this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Hopefully Cleveland will sign Cousins, then the Jets can trade up with them and grab Rosen.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm not totally convinced Cleveland will go QB in round 1 if they stay put. They may like what they've seen of Kizer enough to be convinced he's their FQB. True, he didn't win any games but he played in almost all of them, did some good things and got good experience. Very similar career beginning as J. Goff and E. Manning. A guy like Barkley and a top receiver or OT might put that team over the hump better than suffering another year with a rookie QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

doens't really matter what you or I think. the market is the market. You claimed 2 shitty franchises (OAK and DET) screwed up the market, I showed you that's not true and the market was actually set by GB and ATL with rodgers/ryan.

you are entitled to your opinion, but someone is going to pay him 28-30mil a year. also getting him doesn't mean we can't draft a QB. the chargers drafted rivers 4th overall when they still had brees. GB drafted rodgers when they still had favre. ATL drafted schaub when they still had vick. etc etc

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Holy Reading Glasses Batman are we all talking about the SAME team????

If Kirk Cousins came here TOMORROW what does he have to WORK with????

1 A terrible HC...moronic decision maker..can't even put together a decent defense..Mr Field Goal at the 2 yard line on 4th and goal ...lmao

2 Terrible DC ...no help from the D game in game out

3 Offense : Two old running backs ASJ ( still sobering up..great hands) and a guy who is currently in Florida Jail...A new OC , unproven...shaky OL

4 GM ...poor decision maker for the most part...

5 Owner: Can offer big bucks but busy elsewhere..."no mandate for winning"...another Daniel Snyder lol...you think Kirk wants THAT?

Shall I continue???... Plus the guy is not that great

Answer: Stick to the rebuild and go for the gold ..trade up for Rosen and don't look back...plug holes with all that $ for OL CB Edge in FA

Stick to your guns Contrails ...!!!! rebuild or bust ...no QB retreads here

#335 NYJetsO12, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  16. I’m all for signing Cousins ONLY if they hedge their bet w a suitable QB taken at 6.But I have serious doubts the jets will go that route.If they sign Cousins ownership will be screaming for win now type moves including overpriced veterans, and addressing a different need at 6. I think that’s a fatal mistake.Which likely means it’ll happen.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol imagine rudolph being the real deal. You know who the real deal is in OSU? James Washington, he made Rudolph look good on a number of occasions.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If the Jets were MDs with their "fatal mistakes" we would be out of business for gross Malpractice...the real suckers are than fans who pay for J and J tickets

Wise up...stay home..make them sell this thing

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. In total agreement. If this ends up being another veteran purge free agency & defense heavy draft I'll continue w. viewing boycott.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

gotta protect the QB, can't take a QB at 6 if you got Cousins ... maybe the later rounds