Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If Cousins chooses elsewhere I could live with any of those options although I think Foles had such a good game the other day he's currently a little inflated in everybody's mind (mine included) and poor Bridgewater had such a horrid injury and has missed so much time I'd be a little concerned about that. I think if the Jets actually went that route you'd have to have a pretty stout plan B in place. And Plan B's typically lead to controversy..... and now your back into the SOJ quagmire.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Draft Mayfield or Jackson at 6.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really don't think Mayfield makes it past #5.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This how l would list the order Mac goes in when free agency starts
    Cousins macs going to make it rain for him
    Smith, trading for him is stupid enough for the jets to do it if they miss on cousins and are worried about their jobs
    Teddy, doubt Minnesota let’s him go but I could see Mac throwing a prove it deal out there and Bowles installing him as qb1 while they bench a rookie
    Foles, 0 chance eagles let him go. When camp opens wentz will likely be on the pup list and foles is the insurance policy

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This draft sets up so perfectly for the Jets needs, I really hope Mac recognizes this and takes advantage of it.

QB at 6, then should be quality available at OL and HB at both spots in the 2nd. Combined with possibly a FA OL and maybe WR this O could be completely made over in one offseason.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

Which is why Macc won't do this.

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Mac's offer to Cousins is just going to be used by his agent to leverage a better deal on a better team. Mac will have the same results he had with Dont'a Hightower last off-season. The only thing that will be raining down is your tears when you click on the tweet by Adam Schefter that Cousins chose a team not named the Jets.

As for Nick Foles, his agent will push to be traded into a situation he can start the entire year. I could see the Eagles trading Foles now while his stock is high. Makes perfect sense for them to acquire draft stock for him now, with Wentz being their future. They will go out and bring in another QB to hold the fort at quarterback until Wentz is ready. Maybe that's Bradford. As for Bridgewater I can see him staying in Minnesota....Keenum might be the one who goes. We shall see.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I understand your pessimism, I really do. I choose to think of it as being so obvious that a blind squirrel can spot it. Hope I’m right.

CotcheryFan and westiedog1 like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No tears. I’ll just be happy to know mac values a good qb, baby steps are ok.
    Eagles won’t risk losing early by trading foles. Them signing Bradford? Signing Bradford coming off a knee injury as insurance for your qb coming off a knee injury? Ask the Vikings how that worked for them. Actually we should sign Bradford. That way we are guaranteed to have to play the back up

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm as pessimistic about the Jets as they come, however, Macc is a guy who was hired to make the Jets into a winner. One has to accept that there are right ways to accomplish this and wrong ways. If he's at all someone who is concerned about his job, and we have to assume he is, then we have to trust that he he will choose the right way, whatever it is. We may not like the choices he has made so far, and I can argue against a few too, however, it's clear ownership is aware that he has a plan and that plan still has to work itself out. As long as we end up in the promised land, I'm not picky how we get there.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

The trash bins of history are overflowing with people who were concerned with their job, and knew they had to deliver, and yet failed to because they were too fixated on their plans or ideas and weren't flexible enough to bend with reality. You're putting your faith in a guy who never held this job before, and in three years hasn't shown that he has a coherent plan. Sure, maybe he does, and maybe it will unfold in a winning fashion, but the odds and history say otherwise. I'll stick with pessimism until he proves me wrong.

NYJetsO12 and playtowinthegame like this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Foles is a free agent after next season. Eagles drew his contract up that way. 2019-21 are faux years for cap purposes. Of course the Eagles would be smart to sell him while his stock is high, rather than lose him for nothing. That Eagles defense and running game could win with a JET.....I mean JAG type qb while Wentz gets ready for his first game back next sesson. Besides it shouldn't be that long of a wait. Dr. Robert Klapper believes Carson Wentz could be ready by week 1 next season, due to the nature in which he hurt his knee with the leg fully extended.

P.S. wish Mac took those baby steps last year in round 1 with Deshaun Watson right there to be had with his 6 pick.

ColoradoContrails and FlaJet like this.
  13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I believe 9 times out of 10, free agents choose money and security over everything. When they go to a team it's usually the best offer they got. All things being equal they will choose the team with the highest upside. I prefer Cousin's as the best choice. It will only cost money and ZERO draft picks. They can of course than also pick the best QB on the table at sixth. Either way the board is going to be super active during draft. JMO

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wanted Mahomes.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

And I'll be right along side you with my pessimism. At least with Macc, I can tell he has a plan, which is more than I could tell with previous GMs. First, I want to see how his plan unfolds, then I'll slit my wrists.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We agree regarding Cousins, but I'm sorry, giving up a 2nd round draft pick for a 34 year-old QB is simply nuts. They'd be much better off signing Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum imo.

LAJet likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's easy. It's not the best or wisest way to go imo. IMO the Jets need to finish the rebuild the right way and not get impatient or try to take short cuts. That's what they've done in the past, and it has ALWAYS bitten them in the ass.

The Jets have a chance to draft a FQB and have the same starting QB for the next 10-15 years. They have a chance to fill some holes this offseason, perhaps with the rookie QB being able to start half the season and get some experience. Then next offseason with a lot more cap space and draft picks they could pretty much address whatever other needs they had and then be ready to start competing.

If they sign Cousins, the rebuild is over, and they're going all in to win, even though they still have a ton of holes. They probably still won't get to a SB. They may make the playoffs, but would probably be one and done. There'll be no point in drafting a QB for the next 3-5 years because with what they'll have to pay Cousins, he will start. They'll probably just win enough to keep Bowles as HC and probably Mac as GM and they'd be stuck in mediocrity for another decade.

No thanks! I'd rather the NFL just fold the franchise.

18. I’m all for Case Keenum.I think there’s some upside there.Hes got good arm talent & is tough.Hes also not gonna back down or away from competing w an early draft choice.The arm talent,the toughness & the intangibles tells me he can handle NY. If he ends up as the backup he’ll take it in stride & will be ready to deliver same way he did this past season

LAJet and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It all depends on how much you believe in Kirk Cousins. If he turns out to be a legit top 10-12 QB then the Jets should be able to compete for a Super Bowl assuming they use the rest of the cap space and draft picks effectively. If he turns out to be the second coming of Matt Schaub then I agree with you.

20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well here is my thinking on that. If you go with the #6 pick in the draft your looking at Josh Allen (if your lucky) Mayfield (maybe) or Luke Jackson. The pickings may possibly even be slimmer than that if the Giants and/or Colts trade down with somebody who is after a quarterback. What are the chances from 0 to 100% that whoever you draft there will even be as good as Kirk Cousins? 10-15% chance after 2 seasons? That might be generous no? The chances they are better after 2 years? 3 out of 100 maybe?

Cousins may well not want to come here but I really feel if you don't try to get him your just not putting the odds of success in your favor.

FJF likes this.