Luke Falk Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's cool NC, it's no different than Mike Mayock or other analyst talking about other players. I drown it out and simply look at the action that's taking place.

That's why I like watching the games, you see it raw and unedited.

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Watching live its sometimes hard to key in on one player, Voch Lombardi is one of the few youtube evaluators thats not only entertaining but very thorough as to what the QB is doing right or wrong. Falk may be a polarizing prospect but unless the browns, 49ers, chargers, etc win more than the Jets, we will be picking from the second tier of QBs. The likes of Falk, Mayfield, Allen, etc may be who we're in line for. Rosen and Darnold (if he decides to come out) look like a pipe dream at this point.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I MUCH prefer watching live game action, rather than listening to some talking head and watching, although that can be very instructive and enlightening at times. I just think that Lombardi's personality gets in the way, and prevents my taking him more seriously.

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  4. grkmanga31

Up and down game from Falk. A lot of instances of read progression, also liked that he seemed to want to run a bit more than usual which I like because even though he's not fast, he's mobile enough to pick up a few yards, or a first down if the defense forgets about him.

Still a bit concerned regarding his arm strength and how that translates to the NFL where sometimes you have to bullet some passes into very tight windows.

Some of his throws probably should have been picked off against Colorado and if he continues to be as sloppy as he has been these past 2 weeks, his stock will fall mightily and then I can totally see him going 3rd or 4th round.

If he cleans it up he can go late first, second round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Red Menace

I'm sold on him, give the opposition credit because playing zone makes it hard for most QBs to find the open receiver and take advantage of mismatches.

Man to man is easy and most good QBs will kill one on one, just look at what Matt did to Skrine last week.

When he gets to the NFL and is playing with a more balanced offense I bet he will develope into a much better QB.

I hope Jets end up with this guy as their QB.

#85 Red Menace, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. grkmanga31

They very well may be given we have little shot at Rosen at the top of the draft. I'm unsure if I would draft Falk with a first round pick because I do think he may fall to the second, or further if his play doesn't sharpen up.

I don't like that he's careless with the ball sometimes, and I think his long ball accuracy is not the greatest. I think he's best within a 20 yard range mark but we'll see how he progresses.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Lack of arm strength; seems to run a little too quickly. His receivers didn't help him much. He's way behind Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Arm strength is not indicative of a good QB, Darnold stock has and continues to drop, Rosen has a cannon but again he makes a lot of mistakes because of his strong arm.

Jackson rushed 23 times in one game alone, and is not considered to be the most accurate of QBs and his base needs work, but he has a strong arm.

Falk has better foot work, progresses through his reads and is more accurate than the three guys you mentioned and he is not too quick to run, he has 49 rushes all year because he sits in the pocket waiting for the long plays to develope.

There are no come back routes in the Washington playbook or dump off to RB in middle of filed behind DL.

Because it's a run and gun offense teams have finally figured out how to slow him down, play cover 3 against Washington as all the crossing routes they run simply go from one defender to the other.

He has his flaws no doubt, and yes he doesn't have the arm strength that the supposedly top guys have but he posses things they don't have and he's not given enough credit.

The same way you felt about Mahomes I feel about Falk, when he reaches the next level and if he lands on a team with a good offensive minded HC like the Cardinals, you will see him become a good QB very quickly.

#88 Red Menace, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    grkmanga31 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate your assessment, and will admit you probably have more knowledge to base it on - I'm going by what I see, and the biggest concern I have is the arm. The reasons I like Mahomes is twofold: First, he has a cannon for an arm; second, he has great instincts. Falk may have the instincts - watching the small video sample I've seen of him it's hard to say - but he's nowhere near Mahomes's arm.

If they don't have plays installed to take advantage of what he does, that's surprising.

I'm not rooting against him, or any potential FQB. I hope your assessment is right.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

The question is would the Jets be a good fit Falk and under Bowles I would say no

#90 grkmanga31, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  11. Red Menace

I believe that even if Bowles is the HC and Morton stays as the OC, if Falk is drafted and he displays command of Mortons west coast offense, Bowles would go with Falk.

I'm aware of the perception that Bowles is so anti rookie that he is not playing the better young QB over the scrub veteran.

It's hard for me to believe he is so dense as a HC that if Falk is outplaying everyone else he wouldn't start him.

He has repeatedly said the staff will discuss the QB situation and he will make a decision.

If Morton tells him Falk should be starting, you will see him start.

12. grkmanga31

I don't disagree but I am just uncomfortable drafting a rookie QB if he's the HC. I don't doubt he would start Falk if he was playing better because then you get to be proven right by playing your high draft pick.

I do think Bowles wanted Hack to start but the fact is he just wasn't good enough in preseason and did not show enough progression to warrant it.

Bowles is a defense first coach and that's fine, but I want a coach that can develop a QB, mold the offensive system around that QB. I'm just not sure if Bowles is that guy

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Luke Falk benched for the 2nd time this season.

14. Red Menace

I only watched one game yesterday.

What happened?

I read up on it, His HC wants him to be more aggressive, it's fair. He's still going to be a 2nd round pick, and should be there for the jets.

LT for jets in the first round, Falk in second and OLB with second 2nd rounder.

#94 Red Menace, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

He's VERY mediocre in the elements. Watch his game against Colorado in the cold and rain.

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The more I watch of the soon to be drafted QBs the more Falk is growing on me. If Cousins doesn't happen, and Darnold/Rosen/Allen doesn't happen, I think Luke with one of the 2nd round picks is my preferred #3 move right now.

I'm also not neccessarily predicting it but I wouldn't be shocked if over the long hall this guy little engine that coulds his way into a starting job somewhere and ends up being near or even at the very top of this QB class. I like his demeanor. Like the loveable scrappy mutt is sometimes better than the expensive purebred.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  17. Red Menace

I already told everyone on this board, he will be the best QB in this class when it's all said and done.

If he goes to a team with a good offensive staff, if he ends up with the Browns he's dead.

#97 Red Menace, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Murrell2878 likes this.
  18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Connor Halliday, former Washington State qb played in the same “air raid” offense and in his senior year , threw for more yards, tds, higher completion percentage and less int’s than Falk did this year.

Halliday is not a pro qb.

Unless you’re seeing some outrageous physical tool set (Aaron Rodgers)... Better off staying away from these air raid qb’s imo.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With all due respect to you, Red, I could change my mind after viewing more film, but at this point, I'd rather the Jets not even take a QB than to take Falk.

20. Red Menace

If your going to compare the two then it has to be done right, taking one year and using it as an argument against Falk is not fair.

3 years as a starter would be a better comparison, not to mention the horrific injury that Halliday had which was something he had to overcome.

The Redskins gave him an opportunity to play in the NFL, he walked away from it.

His wife left him because he was a weak minded mamas boy who could not find the fortitude to overcome challenges that came up in life.