The Infamous Idzik 12: Where are Jets' 2014 draft picks now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Lol! Even Vlad Ducasse is at least still in the league. Those dudes just couldn't hack it.

2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Has a highly drafted Jets TE EVER really worked out? I mean like... ever? Kyle Brady, Keller, Amaro.... seems like there was one other disaster taken when all the fans thought a QB was coming.

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

More like [the guys Idzik missed]

Round 1: Derek Carr/Demarcus Lawrence/Ha-Ha Clinton Dix
    Round 2: Davante Adams/Jarvis Landry/Allen Robinson/Justin Britt
    Round 3: Gabe Jackson/Trai Turner/Devonta Freeman

It is one thing to miss [one] kid.

John missed every single one of them. It takes a special kind of talent to be this retarded and STILL get a Jets GM job. [Or more likely, that's why he got the Jets GM job. Because was he was exceptionally retarded.]

Murrell2878 and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I remember thinking before the draft that this was a pivotal draft. That draft could have made our team virtually over night if Idzik had known WTF he was doing. I still think to this day that Idzik must have trouble showing his face in public.

What's worse is his fake tears during the mid season PC. He even sucks as an actor. He damn sure tried to save his job because he liked the money and prestige. However, there wasn't a single fucking person that fell for that POS's pleas.

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

You forgot two of the worst. Johnny Mitchell and Anthony Becht.

6. Mainejet

And honestly it's debatable as to whether the same thing is/isn't playing out before our very eyes with this front office? Mac has shown nothing to indicate he's some sort of master talent evaluator.

Now, I do think objectively we can credit him with breaking the 2nd round curse. Marcus Maye is a pretty good player.

But how many players has Mac drafted that jump off the page? Are there any? Because I don't see that. Even Leo wasn't exactly a superb player in 2017. Besides those BPA picks that have been so so, by my count he has Marcus Maye as a true credit to his scouting.

If you're building a SB winning franchise, how Mac picks are we looking at that are the nitty gritty building blocks?

7. Sam Hammer

30 other teams also missed on those players. It's easy to look at it in hindsight, but not really fair. For all we know another GM would have been just as bad as Idzik. The draft is mostly a crapshoot.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. Mainejet

Mickey Shuler was a pretty good player. I'm not sure where he was taken.

9. Sam Hammer

Dustin Keller was decent. He led the team in receptions one year. Sanchez just always threw the ball behind him. If he didn't have that bad leg injury, he'd probably still be playing.

FJF likes this.
  10. Mainejet

You're not actually defending him are you? That would be like defending the idea that Rich Kotite is a great HC.

11. Mainejet

Keller wasn't really a true TE though. More like an H back. Keller wasn't the guy you'd keep on the field for an obvious running play.

12. Sam Hammer

No he was horrible, I just find that you can't judge draft talent in hindsight like that. Freeman and Derek Carr would have been top 5 picks if we redid that draft. It's silly to look at it that way, because GMs can't look at it that way at the time of the draft. It's easy to point em out after the fact.

LF911SC likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

True, but they shouldn't have been sold on Geno Smith because of the way he finished the 2013 season.

14. Sam Hammer

Yeah, but Geno showed flashes that year, he had at least earned a chance. Again, it's easy to judge the call in hindsight.

15. Mainejet

Monday morning QB

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I've been laughed off this forum in the past for stating that owners who really want to win will put more money into scouting and coaching. Player's pay is capped, so all teams are equal. But owners can spend what ever they want on coaching and scouting.

In my opinion, teams obviously don't know much about players taken after the 3rd round. Most times they've never even met them.

If I owned a team, I'd triple my scouting budget and have eyes on every college team, every game, every practice. I'd be interviewing every High School coach of any player I was considering.....on and on. It's hard to find a diamond in the rough from and easy chair 3000 miles away, and that's how 99% of scouting is done.

And don't even get me started on coaching. How can teams draft a raw but talented TE in the 2nd round and never once assign a position coach to work with him??? Just one of many examples.

17. Mainejet

Sounds like a great idea to me. Could you get Woody to listen?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

But he's NOT gone....he's playing in the AFCCG toady....;)

19. Mainejet

I'd like to think that Coughlin had MUCH more to do with that idiot.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

And Caldwell.