Jeremy Bates Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I've been campaigning for Bates off and on for OC on this site for a decade now (see below) but I'm conflicted about the possibility of it happening now. He's had some real bad luck in taking jobs that turn out to be one and dones. I'm afraid this might be another one. Bowles is not a good HC, that's going to catch up to Bowles and everyone beneath him sooner rather than later. If Bates pulls Morton in that he does a good job thus buying Bowles more time and/or uses us as a stepping stone to greener pastures, that's not good either. Other than Bates so grossly outperforming Bowles to the point it's obvious to the Johnsons that he should replace Bowles as HC, I don't a scenario where this would end well for me, admittedly a Bates fan.

The Jets must now hire a good QB coach
    Post by: legler82, Jan 19, 2013 in forum: New York Jets

Help spread the word... FIRE SCHOTTENHEIMER!!
    Post by: legler82, Jan 23, 2011 in forum: New York Jets

Possible candidates to replace Schotty as our new OC.
    Post by: legler82, Dec 1, 2009 in forum: New York Jets

Offensive Coordinator Candidates??
    Post by: legler82, Dec 9, 2008 in forum: New York Jets

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

And Jay Cutler look good once....

3. TonyFtLaud

This is exactly my fear with Defilippo.
    If he doesn't get the HC gig in Arizona and he somehow ends up here, I see him leaving after 1 season to become a HC. If he does a good job, Bowles gets more time and whoever the next QB is gets to learn a new system again.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Or Defilippo becomes our head coach

5. TonyFtLaud

That would be nice but it's very unlikely. Bowles was just extended and if the team improves next season, Bowles will not be fired.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Jeez. For a second there I thought he got fired.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If they take defense again this year there won't be a next year for them. Mel Kiper mock draft has them taking CB/S from Alabama @6. I guess back to back safeties wasn't enough.

ColoradoContrails and jilozzo like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

I call it an "extension" ... he could easily be fired next year if he doesn't improve. Say the Jets draft a QB, and the QB looks good under the coach, you are probably going to interview him for the job no?

9. Yeah I saw that & it made me puke. As ridiculous as it is I can see it happening. MAC is blinded by BPA & we all know Bowles wants Defense & esp DB's.. They could easily justify Fitzpatrick within the notion that Bowles has wanted to use 3 safeties from the onset so that one can fill the Deon Buchanon role. Sad but true.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

That doesn't change the facts.
    Chris Johnson was pretty clear about the extension, no playoff mandate....
    If the team improves next season, Bowles and Mac will both be back in 2019. Regardless of what you,me or any of the fans think the" extension" means.
    Odds are Defilippo will be a one year hire. Not in the best interest of a rookie QB , the team or Bowles.

pib01 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

IF, I just mentioned in my previous post IF things do not go well. Defilippo would get an interview. You have to consider the scenario.

12. TonyFtLaud

I get that.
    You also have to consider that Bowle's is doing the hiring and knowing that DeFiliippo will likely be a hot candidate next year if he isn't hired this year will weigh on his decision to hire him or not. At least it should......

13. Just my opinion but the NFL is a year to year proposition in certain aspects;One of them being coordinators & assistant coaches.Its very hard to get long term fixtures at the coordinator spots bc good ones almost always move to HC gigs soon as the team they’re with makes the playoffs one or two times over.

Jets need a dynamic O coordinator in the worst of ways.We’ve had low to mid tier hires way too many times over at that spot. If they leave after a year you hope they leave behind acouple of their assistants to step up into their spot for a seamless transition & systematic continuity.

They decide to do this a week before the stinking senior Bowl when the FO/some of CS should be preparing to evaluate offensive prospects & we don’t even know what kind of players or system this mystery coach needs!

So much for zoning In on offensive evaluations to finally build something.But you can bet Kacy Rodgers will be right next to Bowles watching DBs.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So very Jetlike.. I think we need to create a new term for this. The really sad part is, I'm nowhere near as bothered as I used to be when the Jets do things like this. I have a feeling I'm not alone either..

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I was listening Wingo and Golic the other day. They were interviewing Jon Gruden. They asked him what is the most glaring weakness the Raiders have. He said "continuity". He goes on to say that they need to establish "a system of football [on both sides of the ball] a common ground of operation here that our players can develop under and our scouts can draft into". I agree with you that this extends to hiring coaches. Before getting a "dynamic O coordinator", we need to establish this foundation first. From there we would know what pool of coordinators to pick from. The fact that Haley is in the running with the likes of Bates and DeFilippo lets me know that we still don't have a core vision. This is where our current operational structure hurts us. This can easily be solved by having a president of football operation presiding over everything.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Bowles wanted to interview him last year, but he got blocked by the Eagles.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I find it extremely unlikely that Bowles will hire Difillipo knowing he very well could take his job next year. I would think Bates is a forgone conclusion at this point.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Can you imagine the chaos if Bates said:" thanks but no thanks.."

Royal Tee and Attackett like this.
  19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I thought he did already

20. Cman68

I thought that was a while ago..

21. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Let Bowles be the OC and he can run run run punt all his conservative heart desires.

22. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Nobody is reporting Bates said no to the Jets regarding a promotion to become their OC. I read he was reluctant to take the job, but that was before they announced the firing of John Morton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.