CBS 2018 Mock Draft Connor Williams to the Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Jan 16, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It wouldn’t be a sexy pick, but the Jets could do a lot worse than drafting Quentin Nelson OG out of Notre Dame. I’d love to have a Zack Martin level talent like him anchoring the interior of the line for the next 10 years.

Winters and Carpenter are both coming off of down years and could be gone by 2019.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

his game film in 2017 isn't good and he missed more then half the year with an injury. he tried coming back off the injury early and was worse. his stock has dropped big time

njjets93 likes this.
  3. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

By far the best Tackle in the draft.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tackles are hard to come by, there's gonna be a good selection of them available.

Last year in a bad class, Pats took their heir apparent in Antonio Garcia.

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If there's any shot that Nelson could play center, I'd take him.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who have you seen at LT as a FA? The only good one I saw at Spotrac is Nate Solder, and he's too old. I didn't see any really good RTs either. The Jets should be able to fix the C position, and at least upgrade OG depth, and possibly find an upgrade for Carpenter.

The Jets can't keep going with JAG LTs every couple of years. They have to draft their next LT.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

After LT, C is the most important position on the OL. Why in the world would you want to draft a guy who has never played the position? Why take a guy who could be a perennial All Pro, if not HOF level player at OG, and play him out of position? That makes zero sense to me.

IMO #6 is too high to take an OG or a C. I wouldn't take Nelson there, especially if I was gonna have him switch positions.

njjets93 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Solder is only 29 and can probably play at a high level for another 3-5 years, which would be plenty of time to bring in his replacement. Just look at the impact Whitworth had on the entire Rams OL and he’s 5 years older.

The biggest issue with Solder is Jets being locked into Beachum for another year and he can’t play RT.

FJF likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Solder is only 29 which means he's got 3-4 years left in him.
    Greg Robinson is a good LT and only 25 and Detriot has cap issues IIRC

that's pretty much it. beechum is fine for 1 more year and we can draft a replacement in 2019. I'd rather draft a center high in this draft. better interior lineman plus johnson was awful. the 2019 draft has much better tackles. 4-5 should go in the first round this year only 1 maybe 2 should go in the first

10. NCJetsfan

Whitworth is an anomaly. You guys think that because one or two players can play well past 30, everyone can, and that's just not accurate. Solder will be 30 by the time the season starts, believe, but even if not, players that age become more injury prone and their play can deteriorate over night. Look at what happened to Mangold. It's not worth the risk, imo.

IMO the Jets need to draft their own LT so they can be set at the position for the next 10 years. THIS is the time to do it, while they're rebuilding. It isn't the time to bring in an older LT who is on the downhill side of his career. That would be something to do if they were all set to compete for the Lombardi Trophy but just needed an LT.

njjets93 likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Solder is 29, meaning he likely has another year or two tops of effective play in him. That's just how football works. We marvel at the guys who can keep their skill levels up and benefit from superior technique past 30 but we don't take into account the vanishingly low percentage of the player base that they represent.

12. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

The wildcard in all the OLine draft prospects is Desmond Harrison from West Georgia. He might be the best LT in the whole draft. His stock will be sure to soar after the underwear olympics, more interested to see how he does at the Senior Bowl next weekend.
    You can go alot of ways with the #6 pick and then address OLine with the 2 2nd's in Harrison and a Center, Price if he falls or Raganow. Norwell can be brought in in FA and you have rebuilt the OLine with young talent and still have the #6 pick to go QB or edge rusher.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. abc

abc Well-Known Member

cousins... gag... vomit... no thx

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect an OLineman to be effective into his low 30s. Even if it was 2 years tops, it would give us 2 years to find and groom his replacement.

Obviously he’s not the long term answer but if improving the OL is a priority, which it should be then Solder is just about the best option available.

15. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I don't think Price will fall to the second round but you never know.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets shouldn't be filling holes with short term answers at this point. That just kicks the can down the road a bit and then they still have to fill those holes when the roster is better.

There's an argument for short term fixes if you have most other things under control. Right now the Jets have almost nothing under control and adding a 2 year player to that mix just makes it more likely that will still be true in 2 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Totally Agree, Nelson would be a solid choice at #6, he's one of the best OG prospects in the draft in over a decade.

If we address QB in FA, Mac is going to take the best non QB player available. Chubb and Barkley would have to be gone before I'd draft Nelson.