Breaking News: Jets have fired OC John Morton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

So Kacy must be buddy buddy with everyone that must be it. We want our 5-11 team to be happy and all get along at this point. Perhaps next year they can get us the 1st pick in the draft.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Edit
    Thank God it is not true. Just confirmed with the person who posted it .

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah totally. Let's get the guy that struggles to put up 20 points per game with one of the best receivers in the game and a super bowl MVP QB. That guy is legit!!

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for Robbie!!!

Cman68, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep, I tend to agree with Bowles here as well. You are right about WCO, but they still needed to run more often in certain situations (Panthers goal line, etc). Many of the 4th quarter failures were because of that. Refusing to run the ball in the Atlanta game was just dumb, especially if that was Bowles' plan from the beginning. It seemed like Morton was just to stubborn to adjust when certain situations called for it. The biggest issue was closing games.

#105 Sam Hammer, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    NCJetsfan, Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

After reading Costello's column in the NY Post, a few thoughts (assuming the article is close to true, a big IF):

1. Bowles was more involved and engaged with the offense than I thought. That's a positive sign. I don't care so much that his suggestions are right, than that he's involved in it. And if it means I was wrong, that's okay too...it's not the first time for me, I think I'll survive.

2. If all this strife and discord was going on for much of the season, why didn't Bowles fire him and put Bates in charge? Was there really no one capable of stepping in to fill the hole left behind? It's not like they were a high-powered offense to begin with - there wasn't a long way to fall.

3. Why didn't Bowles overrule Morton if he so disagreed with him?

It just seems like a dysfunctional atmosphere, contrary to the strains of Kumbaya we were being told were heard on the Jets campus, so why was it allowed to go on so long?

7. ColoradoContrails

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You do realize the Jets couldn’t do jack running the ball in the Atlanta game right? They didn’t even average 2 yards a carry and their line was getting 0 push. You cant just run it for the sake of running it because it’s raining out. Outside of the 4th quarter, Josh was playing well and had success throwing the ball in the rain. You can hate on Morton for some of the other stuff but to bring up the Atlanta game is absurd.

zace likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

1. Bowles has a tough enough time figuring out the defense. Our defensive front and secondary have consistently underachieved since Bowles got here. Bowles being engaged in the offense is not a good sign. Stick to what you're "good" at (still not sure what that is with Bowles)

2. Because the offense was overachieving and performing well until McCown got hurt. It wouldn't make sense to fire Morton when he was comandeering the only effective part of the team

3. Nobody knows. Nothing has been even remotely functional here since toilet took over. Just a lack of direction, turnover, turmoil, players quitting, no discipline. Have no clue how he's still coach.

boozer32 and 94Abraham like this.
  10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Is it even a positive to have someone like Bowles to even want him near the offense? His defense has plenty of issues and this Jets offense bleeds ineptitude for most of Bowles tenure. He comes from a defensive background and it appears he doesn’t provide much insight in relation to anything from an offensive standpoint. Now we are hearing he feels Morton passed too much in a passing league and wants to instill a ground and pound with a mediocre line, no #1 RB, and no Qb as of yet to back the defense off the line a bit. Unless the Jets strike it big in free agency and the draft, I’m terrified to see a run heavy offense next year...

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, hey - hold your horses.

1. You know that available personnel dictates what the team can do, right?
    2. This also includes what plays the offense can play and whatnot. Right?
    3. My assumption here is, Morton took a deep look at the roster before he took the job. [Wouldn't you?]
    4. So - let's get to the specifics. What kind of runs do WCO offenses employ? They are never straight up. It's either stretch run [look at McGuire run vs Jacksonville. You will see the OL blocking sideways, and McGuire making lateral cuts before running up for daylight.] or sweeps, or pulls.
    5. Why do WCO employ these sideway runs more often? That's because WCO offensive linemen are supposed to be nimble on the feet. They are rarely a bruiser that will dominate the DL up front.
    6. Hence they can't [set up the run] to establish their passes even if they wanted to. This is why they set up the pass first, so that the defense would back off a little. Only then they can use their run games effectively.
    7. Now - do the Jets have good enough of OL roster? If I had to tell you, probably no. But Morton took it anyway. I am thinking this is because he felt like he could make them functional somewhat. [I wouldn't have dared if I were in his shoes.]
    8. But does it mean he [can] adjust to [RUN MORE!!] demand on the fly? Yeah. And pigs will fly. Not every chef can cook chicken salad out of chicken shit. Making such demand is probably more problematic than not being able to comply with such demand.

I still can't get my head around why Bowles still gets to stick around. It was his defense that failed to respond during Jets 3-game choking streak, if anything. Did he adjust? Yeah. Adjust my ass. [HAHAHAHAHAHAHA]

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and Cidusii like this.
  12. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

With all of the talent on defense it under performed for the second straight season. Why does our DC get an other pass. Unfu@ck&ng believable.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im not suprised and there were a lot of other guys on this board whonsaw how bad Morton was at times. Very questionable play calling. I wager there were more than one game where he quit. He admitted it publicly once. Byrce petty isbglhot garbage, but he certainly didnt call plays to help him at all. There were times when he just left me scratching my head.

He was not a very good coordinator. Every needs to back away from the ledge, stop blaming Bowles and macc and accept what it was when it came to that aspect of the team

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

94Abraham likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

As I said, it's not so much whether he was right, it's important though that he was involved. As HC you can't just abdicate responsibility for whole units simply because you're not an expert in those areas. If Bowles felt so strongly that they should've run more, then they should've tried that - either it would've worked because he was right, or it wouldn't have and he presumably would learn from that.

Now I tend to agree that from what I've observed Bowles simply isn't a good coach, but he IS the HC for better or worse and has the right to override his coordinators. What all this stuff points to is a lot more dysfunction than stability, and it's depressing to think we have to put up with more of it.

hwismer, NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Offense was decent this year based on personnel

Defense sucked this year based on personnel

Conclusion?

Bowles is a racist. Fired a capable white guy, keep incompetent black guy.

Facts are facts.

16. forevercursed

Morton can only "quit" if Bowles tells him to quit. Morton couldn't just take it on himself to say "well this one is pretty much over, just going to go into pre season mode and on to next week" without having the approval of Bowles.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hum, let me see. Bowles and his sidekick defensive coordinator had a miserable performance but since hey have the same philophy, that is they can't figure out why they are consistently out coached and out schemed they get to stay. But Morton, who at least made something out of an offense that was void of any real superior talent gets fired because of philosophical differences with the guy that couldn't even perform in his area of expertise. Yep, we are going places with this HC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. forevercursed

Nobody has any idea how these two buffoons are employed.

10-23 in our last 33 games. Revis quitting, Wilkerson quitting, underachievement across the board, lack of discipline, preparation, adjustments. Terrible play calling.

19. forevercursed

Well Bowles is technically the DC, Rodgers has that title but he's really Bowles right hand. Bowles is the one calling the defensive plays (poorly) and (not) making any adjustments.

Say what you will about Rex...players PLAYED for Rex. Rex got guys to overachieve.

Bowles hasn't. And I don't want him "developing" Maye or Adams.

And how about Darron Lee. I know Mac picked him but has Bowles gotten anything out of him? What about Calvin Pryor...ok Bowles didn't draft him but Bowles couldn't get anything out of him either. He also had Revis and Wilkerson basically quit football under him. Did Skrine improve under Bowles?

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. Are you telling me,you dont make decisions at work based on your own feelings Regardless of what your boss says?

Thats a huge reach youre making. Seriously how did you come up with it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TonyFtLaud likes this.