For all the talks about needing a FQB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 15, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Boy Bowles stinks as a HC...theoretically the man in charge of overseeing the entire Team on Offense and Defense but not attending meetings for Offense??

What message does that send to the Team? Well passing running scoring points DONT COUNT..how conveniently idiotic..

Mo Wilk decided to skip a few meetings too...hey why not?

Bowles wants to pad his resume by making sure the Defense is adequate but even that didn't work this Season

boozer32, Ralebird and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He was the last coach therefore it deserves comparison as they are polar opposites.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If they were polar opposites one would have had a winning record.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well maybe it's semantics, but a good HC should the reserve the right to overrule the OC if he doesn't think things are working the way they should. To do that he needs to know the playbook and his offensive unit's capabilities. I don't see Bowles has a grasp on any aspect of that. But in any case, in the end, he needs to take the blame if the offense OR defense doesn't do the job - he's the HC. I don
    t understand how or why you absolve him of that responsibility. And BTW - since I read your response to Kurt where you accused him of not holding Macc accountable, I'll let Kurt speak for himself, but you know I've been a regular critic of BOTH Macc and Bowles. As for Bowles not having any blame for draft picks, how often has someone here said, "The HC writes out the grocery list, the GM buys the groceries"? Somewhere between the two of them, one or both dropped the ball when they decided that they had adequate QBs on the roster and didn't bother taking one. And yet, they also believe that Safety was SUCH a gaping hole, it was more important to use their first two picks on them and pass on a QB. So, who's to blame for that? In my mind, both of them.

And I fully agree with you last line, it IS frustrating to hear people defending such mediocrity, and I'm being generous when I use that term.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

your 2018 coach of the year(probably) and young phenom coach mcvay is on the bench, literally sitting on the bench drawing up offensive plays while the defense is on the field. what message does that send the team?

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

once again i see @101GangGreen101 trying to use rational thinking against emotional outcry. keep fighting the good fight bro.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. You're right that Rex never wanted to attend those meetings & that was one of my main reasons for advocating Rex's departure & actually wanting it earlier! But Rex at least showed some fire about offense. He kept trying to find the right coordinator to compliment him. He wanted the Jets to trade up for OBJ & loved Sammy Watkins. Now those players are far from the be all end all...but can you picture Bowles showing any affinity to either of those players or similar?? Rex also was the one who pushed for Sanchez. Now you can argue that he was wrong QB..but you can't argue that Rex didn't give a damn about offense.

When Bowles was first hired he said one of his main focuses was to concentrate on balance w. both the offense & the defense which Rex didn't always do. So far he hasn't lived up to those promises. Attending meetings 1/3 years is a small example of this. I'll grant him at least making the change. But why did it take 3 years?

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Plus in addition to all that isn't Jamal Adams the exact kind of player (do anything safety) that is purportedly the exact magic ingredient to make Todd Bowles special defensive scheme work? As a fan I question just how effective and groundbreaking this defensive scheme is but if you decided to make him your head coach, and this is his main claim to fame, you kind of have to get him the one thing he needs to make it happen the way he wants it to happen. Otherwise you should have picked somebody else to be the coach.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The entire coaching staff is under Bowles. Every single coach he is responsible for and when you become head coach of a football team you are no longer labeled a defensive guy. If that is all he is then he should seek other employment. Nobody ever blames the offensive coordinator or quarterback coach for a lost. Defilippo ain't coming to the Jets there are no opening and if Bowels hasn't fired Rodgers yet no one will get canned. Plus there are better options available to Defilippo...much better.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

Bowles is trying to do the same, finding the right coordinator, I mean he's doing a better job then Rex did in regards to that. Rex is just trying to save grace by saying, "Oh I tried to get those players" ... whats to say Bowles doesn't do the same but this time in the front office and not in front of the media.

It's going to take time, a time head coach needs to establish culture, and all of these other things. I am glad he finally took that step to be more involved on O, let's see what he does this year. He needs to continue to improve on all facets of coaching, just like most other coaches.

11. 101GangGreen101

but the fact remains none of these things happen. I don't even consider myself defending Bowles, I am critical on Bowles as well, I am giving him this year, but I am judging him for completely different reasons in comparison to the majority. That's where the frustration lies.

Mac and Bowles wanted to see what Hack can do, at the end of the day, the selection was outright awful. They should've just moved on, and got a QB if they felt that QB was the right prospect for the team, but can't dwell on the past now.

12. ColoradoContrails

But we should be able to learn from it. 48 years and counting and we're still making the same mistakes.

I get that you want to have patience, but I don't know how long you've been a Jets fan, but I've been one for 55 +years and my patience quotient is about zero. Despite that I also know nothing changes overnight, but the signs I see from what the Jets are doing are right out of the SOJ playbook. To those who preach "stability", I ask: How much more "stability" can you get than almost 50 years of the same results? They're on the wrong track, retaining two guys who have been mediocre at best. Since Bowles is out in the public eye it's pretty easy to see his shortcomings for the most part, but with Macc, hiding in the FO, who really knows what his plan is or if he's on target for reaching it? (And yes, I understand that Macc can't divulge his plans for fear that other teams will screw them up, but I'm looking for more of an overall vision, not the details). All I know is that they aren't much better than when these guys took over, and I have no evidence that they have any urgency in addressing the single biggest hole on this team.

I'm not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of arguing, but you feel strongly your way, as do I. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point (What else is new?:)).

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

You can't really say a new regime is making the same mistakes for 48 years ago. woody has been the owner less then 20 years and mac the GM for only 3 years. and the 1st 2 years was a "win now" mandate it seems. this past offseason it seems like woody gets it now. he's letting mac run the team and do a full rebuild.

14. ColoradoContrails

I'm not blaming 48 years all on Macc, Bowles, or even Woody, nonetheless it's been almost half a century if futility, and there is one common thread: ownership have been dilettantes - playing at the game, not really learning and grasping it. Contrast that with the Werblin/Ewbanks regime and that shows the difference imo. Ideally I would love to see the Johnsons sell the team to somebody who has that knowledge and passion, but failing that, I sure wish they would hire someone who has it and get out of his way.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

honestly, I think it's betetr when owners don't get involved. It never works. jones has been killing the cowboys, snyder the skins, al davis wrecked the raiders for many years. The best thing the owner can do is give the GM a blank checkbook and sit back and smile. No owner has any place in dictating the roster

boozer32 likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed, I have to believe that the acquisitions of Favre in 2008 and Tebow in 2012 had Woody's fingerprints all over tham as a response to the Giants winning the SB the previous year. Had to get those headlines from the G-Men and what better way to do it than getting a polarizing player.

#96 CotcheryFan, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  17. ColoradoContrails

You're right as far as an owner getting involved in the details, but a good owner has a vision for his team, and has the ability to find people who can implement that vision so he/she doesn't have to get involved in the details. The Jet ownership since Werblin has not had that knowledge.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

to be fair, favre would have been great if he didn't get injured and hid it. the 1st half of the season he was on fire. We were 8-3 and he had 20TDs and 13INTS. then he finished up 1-4 with 2TDs and 9INTs after the injury. had he not gotten hurt we would have been ok

19. GasedAndConfused

Same could be said for pretty much any franchise over the past 20 years outside of maybe pitt and NE

20. 101GangGreen101

Ah Ralebird using only his criteria for polar opposites and ignoring others.

never change Ralebird.