CBS 2018 Mock Draft Connor Williams to the Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Jan 16, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

See the thing is, for every Ezekiel Elliot, there is a Jordan Howard (RD3). For every Todd Gurley there was a David Johnson (RD3). So, would this apply for Barkley as well?

Could take Williams, then if the center position gets shored up in the FA or draft go after a RB in round 2 or 3. So many options however for the Jets...

Cousins is the safest play no doubt in my mind. 5 years 130M; 60 in guarantees, just get it done.

FJF likes this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Most years I would very much agree to this line of thinking. Not this year though as I really do believe Barkley is special, possibly even the best RB prospect of all time.

I do think QB needs to be the draft priority though and i take solace in the fact that this is an extremely strong class of RBs and Jets will be able to add talent at that position from the 2nd rd and on.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'm all in on Cousins, but he will go for more than that. They'll use Stafford's deal as a starting point. With only one team bidding, Stafford got 5 years $135M and $60.5M guaranteed at signing. Cousins will have at least 5 teams (Jets, Redskins, Browns, Broncos and Cardinals), with the possibility of others (Jaguars, Bills, etc...). He will be the highest paid player in the league in March.

Both players will have been 29 years old at the time of signing their contract.

Stafford's 3 Year Average prior to deal: 4,282 yards, 26 touchdowns, 11.6 interceptions and 92 QB rating.

Cousin's 3 Year Average prior to deal: 4,392 yards, 27 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and 97.6 QB rating.

Statistically, both players are very similar. I think Cousin's deal will average $30M a year. Something like 6 years $180M with $70M guaranteed at signing is not out of the question. If you are going to overpay for anything, make sure its a QB.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

I see the Browns really as the main competition as they can offer far more, but I wouldn't get into a full on bidding war with the Browns. Broncos, I don't think they have enough to really get into that war. They will be 40M under the cap, but I see the Cards / Broncos drafting QBs. Cards don't have the team really to contend, the team is aging. Broncos, I think the Jets have a better overall offense.

Jets still look like an attractive destination, 70M might be a little too much. But if Mac can make it work, make it work.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And now I hear Breeze wants 100M for 3 years. I just don't want a Jets bidding war for Cousins or anyone else.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Gotta be Williams...There is so much RB depth in this draft. Get that LT for the next decade.

Red Menace and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

So much of this will depend on what Mac does in FA. It looks like there's going to be a decent number of quality OL/OT free agents out there -- http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018all.php -- who will have a lot of football left in them. Also, the OC vacancy may impact the draft direction, too. Lots of variables out there. Finding it hard not to be a little optimistic right now.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in that list. Player will be tagged others will reach agreements on long term deals before they actually hit feee agency.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What you advocate makes a lot of sense, but I'd have an awfully hard time passing on Barkley. The Jets could fix both the C and LG positions in FA. Barkley is head and shoulders better than any OL we could take and would be a huge weapon for the Jets.

OTOH, several teams are likely to covet Barkley, and the Jets could potentially pick up at least another 3rd round pick if not another 2nd round pick, plus maybe another pick or player in exchange for just moving down a couple of spots. The thing about moving down, however, is that they'd have to be sure that the other team(s) picking before them didn't need an LT or they could miss out on Williams. Topnotch OT prospects usually go in the top 10, if not top 5. Trading down would be awfully risky. I think I'd rather stay put and take Williams if they don't like Mayfield.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind him, but only if we trade back a few spots and get an extra pick. i think 6 is too high for him. we could probably slide back between 8-12 and land him and an extra pick

11. 101GangGreen101

6 is not high for a franchise LT. The talk that you shouldn't draft a position high is crazy (outside of the obvious positions like Kicker or Punter / overall value to the team play a role). Positions like the guard has been worth the investment. Notably Brandon Scherff. You don't gamble on talent that way, you only look to get value if you believe a certain player is going to be available at a certain pick, you trade up. Quenton Nelson is a guard that will be taken high. Trade up when a certain player is available that drops and trade down when your prospect isn't worth drafting / not there.

12. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

101 I watch a lot of Big XII games every year and when Williams played this year he didn't look good. I know he was hurt at USC but he really had trouble with speed rush and got an abnormal number of holding penalties.. He looked much better last year.. When I saw Brown he was a beast... plays with a nasty attitude. I in no way am a OU fan either.. some scouts say he is too slow for LT but will be an all pro at G.

OL is an area we definitely need to improve. Our OL could make Aaron Rodgers look human.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I've only seen a few games myself this year so I cannot compare the # of snaps to you so I am def interested in your thoughts here. I saw 2 games this year (WVU, Maryland). It was like polar opposites, but the kid can play I think, he's pretty consistent, some say he could be Joe Thomas like.

Is Brown a true LT in your eyes? What about McGlinchey from ND? He struggled against speed rushers too at times. Jets need to target LT and C, I think first before going to the guards.

14. GasedAndConfused

I don't care about the position, I'm saying he's not a top 10 talent really brick was worth the 4th overall pick. I hadn't seen his name tossed around much nor as a top prospect looking around currently i'd say it would be a bad pick for the 1st round period. Things can change for sure after the combine and such . he missed most of 2017 with a knee injury the games he did play were pretty unimpressive. looks like he currently has a mid round grade. I'm all for taking o-line with our top pick but it should be a "can't miss" prospect not a massive reach of a player coming off injury. McGlinchy is the only 1st round worthy LT and still not top 6 material but i wouldn't mind sliding back to grab him. this is a weak o-line draft sadly. maybe 3 lineman are 1st round worthy.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If I was gonna pick an OL at 6 it would probably be Nelson. That guy is pretty much as much a lock as there ever is in the draft.

16. 101GangGreen101

Brick played injury free for the Jets for a decade. He wasn't a bad pick at the time at all, hell that was the last good draft the Jets had. Fans based him early on, but he came on. He had some good games and some bad games, he was elite also in 2016. All American Status. That isn't a reach. There is no can't miss prospect in this draft. I've seen McGlinchy struggle too

17. GasedAndConfused

i was happy with brick. that was the point we was worth taking 4th overall. taking williams in the 1st round in itself is bad. the talent isn't there and he's coming off an injury i think you misunderstood what i wrote

18. 101GangGreen101

the fact that you said he isn't a first round talent makes me think otherwise. There is no mock draft or anything in the world that doesn't consider him a first round talent. He's a better prospect then Bolles. This draft as a whole is solid in terms of offensive lineman. take advantage

19. GasedAndConfused

we'll see when draft boards get updated ;) people thought that before the season but his play fell off and he got hurt and his stock has taken a huge drop. before the season darnold was "the best QB since luck" and now some have him as the 2nd or 3rd best in the draft. the 2017 season hurt williams a lot. it's gonna cost him draft position

20. 101GangGreen101

Naw man ... whats on tape always supersedes the combine