For all the talks about needing a FQB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 15, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A FQB doesn't have to be an elite QB. He just has to be someone who you can build around and be above average every year. Ryan, Eli, Flacco, Big Ben, and Rivers aren't top tier QB's but they are all FQB's.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If you are going to bash Bowles, at least bash him for the right reasons. That's been my issue from the very start on this board, it's these conspiracy theories with no legs. His defense doesn't generate enough turnovers or sacks. Those are issues that have to do with Bowles. Get on Bowles for Morton not getting the plays in quicker (which seems to be an issue as there were rumors of a new coordinator). All coaches have game mgmt issues, if you saw the Steelers game, you saw it in perfect form.

This season, he started getting involved on the offensive side of the ball per the link. This wasn't about Bowles 2nd year, but this past season. He attends the meetings, he doesn't game-plan or call the plays on offense, that's not his job. It's to oversee that yes, but not to say hey Robbie, I am going to game plan and get you 5 catches today.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? He fully admits that he completely ignored the "O" for two years, and then he finally decides to sit in some meetings and watch some film. WOW!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

Its called maturing and improving as a head coach. No coach comes into the league in yr 1 as a HC and does all of the things you said. Not even Belichick w/ the Browns, not McVay on the defensive side of the ball ... no one does that dude.

unbelievable. this is a literal fantasy land. read the link I gave Kurt.

FJF likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Again, how do you know this? Just because an OC - or DC - has some plays overridden doesn't mean they're not qualified to be a HC, any more than when a coordinator tells a HC "Let's do this or that" disqualifies the HC. The point is that the HC needs to be fully up to speed on all facets of the team, if he isn't he's not qualified.

6. 101GangGreen101

Give me a link that says Zimmer over-rode / changed the play-calling at any juncture. Dude this doesn't happen, he is barely involved with the O. He might sit in meetings but he's not telling the players what to do on the field. That is the job of the coordinator dude.

FJF likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

C'mon, don't be ridiculous! No one has said he's going to call every play on offense, but he damn sure needs to know what his offensive capabilities are, both player and playbook, and if he sees that the OC's game plan isn't working he needs to be able to step in and override it.Bowles hasn't shown himself capable of doing that, and THAT is the problem.

8. 101GangGreen101

Bowles sits in on the meetings, so you don't think he knows the playbook? If things aren't working Bowles might say run the ball more, but in no capacity do they take over the play-calling. The jets offense scored under 20 points w/ McCown only a few times. Jets need talent, from there you assess where Bowles is as well. If he can't win with good talent, he's not a good HC.

BTW, hopefully I don't come off as a jerk here, but its just frustrating.

FJF likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

how is big ben not a top tier QB? rivers and ryan are borderline i'll give you that. flacco and eli are mediocre. but big ben is every bit as good as any QB in the NFL. He has a career Qb rating of 94, he's thrown 329 TDs to only 174 INTs 64% completionn percentage. over 50k yards. the only QB to throw for 500 yards in a game 3 times. and he dam near did that ths past weekend in the playoffs against the top D in the NFL. while htrowing for 4TDs and a lateral 5th TD. he hit 2 bomb TDs on 4th and long to keep pitt in the game. IDK how anyone could watch ben play and think he's not a top tier QB in the NFL.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Yes it’s frustrating that despite being embarrassingly horrible & unwatchable offensively we still have a head coach that took 3 years to finally decide to at least “sit in” on offensive meetings..

If you wanna immunize Bowles from Blame regarding the offense’s futility it's highly debatable but so be it..but explain to me how this guy is anything CLOSE to the answer at fixing the problems?? This is the HC that pounded the table for 2 god damn safeties in the last Draft despite the disaster that was our offense heading into last offseason...you can blame the GM for that..but a good FO/HC tandem works together at working through issues.Bowles is 50% of that equation.Thats 50% of the equation that at best is lukewarm about anything related to offense.Palantonio was in Bowles office predraft & when asked which player he wanted above all else he said Adams.Thats all you need to know about how much he cares about fixing the offense..he DOESNT.The one offensive piece you keep glamorizing was a damn undrafted free agent from Bowles alma mater!!Its not a priority.Its still about building a super defense.Maybe that’s your kinda HC but not mine & others

#70 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Rex never wanted to attend those meetings and he never improved as a coach, Bowles is much different in that regard. This offense wasn't unwatchable for 2 of the 3 years Bowles has been here. His first year, they made things work with a crappy qb and 2 good receivers in Marshall and Decker. This year, same thing but with younger players Anderson and Kearse. Yet this team is competitive; upgrade the talent, increase the wins ... who is responsible for upgrading the talent? and no I don't wanna hear no bs about Bowles not playing younger players, another conspiracy theory fans here seem to have.

you want to blame the personnel in your 2nd paragraph, but I don't see Mac's name all that much, just Bowles, Bowles, Bowles! But it requires a good GM / HC? so where is the outrage for this regime as a whole? all I hear is Bowles ... so now you see why I am frustrated. Mac said they were the BPA, perhaps you should look at his philosophy and judge him a little more. Mac believed Adams was higher on the BPA chart then Watson (I agree too) and Maye was higher then Kizer so lets blame Bowles rite? So unless you are accusing Bowles of stealing the draft card and turning it in, I don't wanna hear anymore conspiracy theories.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Funny stat , the 4 remaining Playoff teams , are all in the bottom half of the league as far as pass-run ratio. NE at 16 , Philly at 24 , Minnesota at 29 and Jax at 32.
    Giants and Browns are top 5.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

Nobody was screaming for offense here on draft day last year more then me. I almost lost my shit on the maye pick. but with that said, if he feels adams was by far the best player for us to take there then so be it. There are other ways to address holes then just the draft and you don't need to use your top 6 pick on a specific position. I mean if we look at what went on offense after we picked

7) mike williams - LAC - WR
    played in 10 games, had a total of 95 yards on 11 catches and 0 TDs. even chad hansen did more for us then williams did for the chargers

8) McCaffrey - CAR - RB
    he proved to be a weapon but for being the 2nd RB picked was outplayed by later picked RBs like cook, hunt, and kamara. he only ran for 435 yards and a 3.7 average. he did catch 80 balls though for 651 yards. still a RB at 8 overall that didn't do much running the ball? wouldn't have been a good pick here

9) John Ross - CIN - WR
    only played in 3 games (started 1) didn't have a single catch all year. only had the ball once and it was a 12 yard rush where he fumbled and lost it

10) mahomes - KC - QB many thought this was too high for him as it stands. many thought watson was better. people considered this a reach at 10. Now he did look great so far and yeah would have been nice to land a FQB but how can you argue taking a player that is a reach at 10 6th overall over a player who was the 2nd or 3rd bets player in the draft at 6?

so really who was there to take on offense that we missed by taking adams. watson is another who was considered a reach at 6 but he did look great before the injury. bolles would have been great but he was taken 20th so no way we draft him top 6. the rest of the offense players taken in the 1st? 3TEs engram, njouku and howard. and an OT taken 32nd overall. Looking back if it wasn't watson adams was the pick

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

giants and browns had to pass alot because their run game sucks and their defense left them always behind. but i do agree with your sentiment. balance is key in the NFL you can't be one dimensional on offense

playtowinthegame likes this.
  15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

A successful offense must be versatile and unpredictable. If a defense is geared up to stop your passing game, you have to be able to make them pay with the run, and vice versa. It all starts in the trenches. We need another Brick and Nick.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Exactly my point.
    It's still a team game and you need a balanced team to win.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I believe you mean incumbency, unfortunately.

18. GasedAndConfused

yup one thing that's been said forever and still holds true in the NFL is the game is won in the trenches. without a good o-line and d-line you usually don't get far. we need to upgrade our o-line this offseason for sure

playtowinthegame likes this.
  19. Good call..and yes unfortunately lol

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan was fired by the New York Jets December 29, 2014. What he did or did not do as Jets head coach is irrelevant to what Todd Bowles does or (mostly) does not do as the Jets head coach. It is way past time for those Bowles backers to stop trying to rationalize his continued existence here by making continued references to Rex Ryan.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.