CBS 2018 Mock Draft Connor Williams to the Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Jan 16, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not the worst pick, but I prefer we get a QB with the 6th pick or move up to get one.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s a solid pick, especially if cousins is already signed.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

If that's how the draft falls and if we get Cousins, I would say very good pick.

themorey likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If we can somehow acquire Cousins then this would be a good pick. Otherwise, I'm meh about it because ultimately it all comes down to who's playing QB. Can't keep on recycling journeymen QB's and expect to do anything. We've seen that play out with Fitz and McCown.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

As others have said, this pick would only be acceptable if they've already acquired Cousins. Otherwise, they need to spend this pick on a QB, trading up if need be. There's no half-assing the QB situation this offseason.

Fortunately, if the QB they want requires a trade-up, they have the cap space to bring in significant help via free agency (C, OLB, CB)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even take an OL with the 6th pick even if they did sign Cousins.

To pass up on a pass rusher like Chubb to take an OT with the 6th pick? That's GM suicide. PR's are almost as rare as QBs. Taking an OL that high in the draft when the team has more pressing needs is just nuts.

7. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

Looking at that full first round mock, would you then double down on OL and pick Billy Price with the first 2nd round pick?
    This is under the assumption that Cousins has been signed already. You could even add Norwell in FA. Not sexy but would give them a really solid young OLine moving forward.
    I still would want to add a RB with the second 2nd round pick, preferably Michelle. With Love going back to school though the RB pool is shrinking.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  8. FJF

But you can’t take a qb at 6 just to take a qb. If he isn’t worth it and you are passing on top talent you are setting yourself up to fail.
    Based on this mock, you take Allen at 6 because you just have to take a qb. He busts and you have nothing from your 6 pick and still need a qb.
    Taking Williams you have your lt and still have options later in the draft.
    Going with the qb or bust mindset is very likely to net you a bust

TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  9. FJF

You absolutely double up on the o line. I would be checking edge rushers with the 2B pick.

Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

True, I know I am being impatient with getting a QB. But realistically speaking, if we don't address it in the first round, the only way we see a draft pick QB is going to be through injury. I can already see it, Jets bring back McCown, draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, and then hope to ride out McCown for another season. It would be the easiest way for Macc and Bowles to get fired because we all know the Jets aren't making the playoffs if that happens.

Another reason I want a QB at 6 is because I don't trust Maccagnan to select a QB, let alone in a later round. I do not want Allen at 6, he's too boom or bust. Aside from accepting that Darnold and Rosen will likely be gone by 6, the only other QB I would want is Mayfield. A lot of scouts don't think he's good value at 6 but at this point, no one knows what can happen. Example being last year with Watson.

This regime lacks urgency in regards to finding a QB IMO, and if not addressed for the 2018 season, it will nip them in the ass.

11. CotcheryFan

Agreed, but would you be willing to move up to say the 3rd pick as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. And assuming we haven't signed Cousins.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When I was younger I wanted the flashy guys but I have changed and I will never be upset with an offensive line draft pick in any round, ever.

Last year I wanted Cam Robinson badly. All the nerds on their draft websites and the internet experts on here said that would be stupid for the Jets to take Robinson in the top 10 - -bad "value"

Robinson is the starting left tackle for the division champion Jaguars and helped pave the way for an offense that ran for 170 yards and 4 touchdowns in the division round of the playoffs. Perhaps these nerds need to learn to STFU about value. I'm not gonna claim to know alot about this Connor Williams guy but if he's the selection??? COOL

13. FJF

Probably not. I am luke warm on all of these prospects. If you want to make a bold move for a qb in the draft I’d rather take top non qb talent at 6 and try to move back into the 1st for whoever goes into free fall

#14 FJF, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  14. CotcheryFan

To me it's Rosen, Darnold and then everyone else. And even those 2 have a few red flags.

Peebag likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like Williams a lot, but would be pissed if the Jets don't get a QB. I want Baker Mayfield even if they have to trade up to #3 to get him, and I don't want Cousins at all. If the Jets sign a FA QB other than McCown, I'd rather it be Bridgewater. While not elite, Bridgewater could be a solid starter for another 10 years if he stays healthy.

If they just don't have the ammo to move up, and the draft falls that way, it would be a tough choice between Williams and Chubb. Williams is probably the safer and better pick unless the Jets will be transitioning to the 4-3 D alignment. Having the chance to get an elite pass rusher and passing on it would be tough, but I'd go with Williams.

I'd then take Sony Michel with my pick at the top of the 2nd round. I'd take Price or Ragnow with the 2nd - 2nd round pick.

Alternatively, even though he scares me, if they like Allen, then they need to trade down around 5 spots, acquire another 2nd round pick, and then take Allen. They can then hope to add Michel, Orowonko and Price or Ragnow in the 2nd round.

#16 NCJetsfan, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    westiedog1 and Mogriffjr like this.
  16. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

Is Williams really head and shoulders above McGlinchey or Brown. I know Brown most likely stays at RT. If they can move down with someone like Arizona, I still think they can land a top OL and maybe pick up another 2nd.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would say Connor Williams is the best OVERALL LT in this class in terms of run and pass protection. McGlinchey has had trouble against speed rushers over in ND.

Haven't seen Brown play much.

18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Well I like the idea of taking Williams, as I think he'll end up being a pretty decent player, there is no way I would think Mac passes on taking Chubb if he is there.

BomberJet likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well they doubled down on Safeties, so why not? The OL was - and is - a bigger priority than Safety was. But they still need to come away from FA/Draft with a QB and a pass rusher, as well as upgrading the RB.

Leicester Jet and BomberJet like this.