Divisional playoffs thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Yisman, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Obviously you didn't read my post. I said defend the end zone and sidelines.

There was no reason to have linebackers on the field.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

And he wasn't on the sideline, either - he was two yards away from it. If Williams just grabs him there is no way he gets out of bounds and the game is over. In fact, trying to "make a play" by knocking down the pass would have been almost as stupid as what he did. And as you said, if they had guys guarding the sideline 20 yards down the field there is no way they ever get the field goal off anyway.

JetBlue likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

He was in the exact place he needed to be to make the play, hardly the fault of the playcall that he made a terrible play on it. As you said, you can’t go for the ball and risk a PI that puts them in FG range. All he needed to do was let him catch it, grab him around the waist and keep him in bounds until the clock was :00.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Pats have a top 10 defense pretty much every year. Tom Brady gets all the credit. He is very good - but he gets too much credit for what the Pats accomplish.

Acad23 and 1968jetsfan like this.
  5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Look I know I may be going against common football theory, but playing Prevent Defense is no way to win a game. I understand your point about no Line Backers or playing a dime plus defense. Maybe the Saints didn't have enough folks due to injuries to put 7-8 secondary folks.

I would rather see a team rush at least 4 with 5 folks playing man to man. This leaves you with two safeties for cover two to protect the deep ball. There was 10 seconds left which means the most plays the Vikings could probably run going out of bounds was two. You don't want them to cross your 40 yard line which was 21 yards away. However playing a zone prevent which is very passive you allow a 27 yard pass.

Now I know Sean Payton would argue they were in the right defense and had Williams not whiffed the game was over. But why allow the 27 yard catch to begin with is my point?

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

On the flip side, His presence probably does help out the NE defense as the guys they are up against are either chasing the game or they are mindful of the fact that given any time and a shot at a FG/TD for the win.......there's a fair chance he might achieve that goal.

Outside of Rodgers, He's the only active QB that I would never bet against in that situation.