We're gonna find out what kind of GM Mike MacCagnan is this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Jan 7, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I know you disagree, but Bowles has set a pretty low bar, it wold be hard not to improve upon his performance, and while Macc isn't quite as bad, there's lots of room for someone to better his act too.

And yes, I realize no matter what I think I'm stuck with them both (for now anyway).

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i used t think anyone would be better than schottenheimer at oc, then rex brought us sporano. i stood corrected. there have been 85 coaching changes in this league since 2015. out of 32 teams, the numbers alone tell you none of these guys are favored to last long. its the way the league is built now. these new head coaches go to places that don't have qbs, don't have opportunities to get qb or lose their qbs and are out 3 years later. cycle in a new hot name and repeat the process, meanwhile these same teams are spinning in the first out last in play off spot or lower and upending their rosters to match the new coaching system. and the talent pool is getting a but thin because when you pull 7 new names out a year, you drain the source pretty fast. so yea, i'm not sure bowles will be any good, but i am glad we decided to buck the trend.

MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Fair enough. We'll just agree to disagree (what else is new?).:)

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is my logic also. Macc could get the best of everything in free agency and the draft but Bowels is the problem. Can he really coach or just there for decoration? Because these last 3 years I have not been impressed with his coaching style. Its as bland as him and very easy to game plan for. His ability to realize his DC is incompetent and his ability to deal with players in the locker room.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

But Mac hasn't gotten the best out of his drafts or FA. Can he really put together that needed signature draft? Both have questions. Bowles, might not be the guy but he's not the reason the Jets haven't been in the playoffs the last 2 or 3 seasons. He also has improved as a coach each year. Fans are having an accountability issue when it comes to Mac and Bowles.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

I forgot about Shurmer in my initial reply to your question. He would be a massive upgrade over Bowles, especially with his offensive background. It's not going to happen of course, but if the Johnsons really wanted to win, they would change their mind on Bowles's extension and fire him and hire Shurmer - also giving the Giants a kick in the ass because they want him too.

blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

How has Bowles improved? He still screws up time outs and in-game adjustments, and he waited until Mo essentially pissed in his face before he FINALLY did something. His ceiling is mediocre at best. We are wasting time hanging onto him. And by that, I'm not excusing Macc. He hasn't shown enough either. His last draft, taking two safeties and four DBs altogether, and no OL, and passing on two QBs who were better than anything he had shows me a guy who doesn't know how to build a winner.

tomdeb, boozer32 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Which Super Bowl losing quarterback will the Jets sign this off-season, Case Keenum or Nick Foles?

When is the last time the Jets signed a free agent starting quarterback that just lost the Super Bowl? Neil O'Donnell.

#48 playtowinthegame, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    boozer32 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree with almost everything you are saying but I don't think that's what the Johnson brothers are thinking. I think the powers that be still have hope that Hack will become the starting QB in 18.
    The one thing I disagree with is If the roster is improved in 18 and Hack fails to show anything, the team is not back to square one. It would be further along after year 2 of the rebuild and in much better shape for a rookie QB from the 18 draft.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  10. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Frankly reading the post's is like watching Christmas Story every year. The scary part every thing is true. Our FO for whatever reason just can't seem to get it right. Yet I have a feeling that the gods of football will be on our side this year, Here's hoping..LGJ Have a blessed new year and enjoy the family. GOD Bless Jet Fans everywhere.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just me, but Bowles had a great chance last offseason to send a clear message about being late for team meetings. As I recall, he quipped something about being late is no big deal because not everyone remembers their alarm clock. He then has the exact same problem with Wilk this year. WHAT DID HE EXPECT after giving an interview last spring and shrugging off lateness to meetings? THAT is why his players always speak highly of Bowles-- lets them do whatever they want.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Both do like them because Bowles comes to him with a mandate that he needs a great secondary to run his scheme. Which is all fine and dandy until you realize that the Jets have drafted defense in the first round every year since Sanchez. Not only has it been a fruitless approach, but it also has not even resulted in the Jets having a dominant defense. The approach we had under Mangini was great. Rex later turned drafted Mangold and Brick (2 franchise cornerstone players) and Revis, into 2 AFC champ games.

Of course drafting corners is a good idea in a passing league, receivers is less so a premium pick as you can draft them in later rounds and still have them be productive.

I can see Minkah Fitzpatrick being drafted to play CB, or Nick Chubb being drafted to finally address EDGE rusher.

But ideally the Jets need to refortify the o-line in a big way, especially if there is going to be a QB selected in the first round. This would be a return to the approach that made the Jets a force in 09-10

Let's see what Macc does. I would think his free agency will shed some light on how he intends on approaching the draft.

tomdeb, boozer32 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I believe that first year with the Jets they should have made the playoffs. They finished 10-6 but easily could have had two more wins. The last season I agree no one expected them to do anything. Season 2 was just a trainwreck from the beginning. Fitz hold out, Geno jaw crack all of that was a mess. As far as improving as a coach not seeing that. He has gotten worst and so has Maccagnan. But like I posted before I believe Macc could have a stellar draft and Bowles wouldn't know what to do. You had a great question 101. Can Macc put together that stellar draft? If he does how will we know as he might not be arround to see it 3 years later. Also its really like they are not working together at all. Bowles as a secondary guy should have known Rashard Robinson was a lousy CB. Yet Macc gave away a 5th round pick. 5 minutes of video on Robinson would have shown that.

#53 boozer32, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    tomdeb likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the ik assault was bowles first year, opened the door for fitz.

15. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I assume you posted this with the idea of creating emotional effect? Sorry to tell you it didn't work. Besides, the possibility of Maye and Anderson becoming an impact player, all of the rest of those players are role players at best. As the season wore on, it was evident that ASJ was overrated. He's not even close to being a top notch TE. His blocking is atrocious.

Ealy very quickly fizzled into anonymity.

They are all OK players. Decent players. However, they'd easily be 2nd string on a better, more talented team.

Then, I could go on and on about all the money he squandered on washed up veterans in 2015.

Bottom line is Mac's competence is very debatable. He hasn't been anything special since becoming GM.

16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Assuming Mac actually takes a QB in the draft, yes, they would be in much better shape going forward. But if Mac doesn't take a QB and Hack turns out to be shit? The criticism will get very LOUD and Woody will need to act.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. He’s had a plan & has stuck to it but he’s been no better than his predecessors at drafting talent.The results speak for themselves.When you consider how pathetic the offense was when he came aboard in 15 & what little has been done to fix it,he’s one more bad draft away from being toast..as soon as the day after said bad draft.

boozer32 and tomdeb like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

In all seriousness, just what is his plan? It seems incoherent. BPA first, last, and always. What's wrong with finding a QB to build your team around? Maybe Macc is just too smart for that.

boozer32 and tomdeb like this.
  19. He’ll pretty much go blind BPA in round 1,usually likes to stick to the positional strengths in any given class likewise he’ll avoid positions of weakness.

He also goes in with certain agendas which seem to cater to Bowles. In 16 Bowles wanted to upgrade sideline to line ability within LB corps which is why Lee was selected.

17 Bowles wanted to fix the back end of the D & improve on the boundary both sides of the ball.That was a clear priority last year along w trading back as much as possible to create volume of picks

20. ColoradoContrails

I understand your explanation, and I agree with that assessment, but it doesn't make sense. So, even if you have a glut of players of a certain type or position, you draft BPA. Or if LBs are a strength in a draft class, you draft them, whether you need them or not. And for good measure you ignore what your own eyes tell you and listen to what the coach says he needs. If you had a good HC that would be the right thing to do, but when you have a guy who can't seem to get the most out of the players he has, it's not sensible.

I'll be amazed f these two dysfunctionals can create a winner.

#60 ColoradoContrails, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    boozer32, tomdeb and KurtTheJetsFan like this.