NJ is now only state that doesn't allow self serve gas station

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, Jan 4, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Pause.

Tipping the gas pumper is a thing?

Been in NJ since I've started driving and I've never tipped the gas pumper nor do I recollect seeing anyone tip them either.

Now when I get my winter wheels switched to my summer wheels, I'll tip the auto technician and will do the same for similar things.

But tipping the gas pumper?

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Had a friend got an oil change at Walmart, they forgot to put the drain plug back in all the way. Oil drained out by about 10 miles down the road, blew the engine and he got a new engine in his 10 year old car. Worked out in the long run for him but usually doesn't, and it took a while of back and forth between him and Walmart.

3. The Waterboy

How old are you, had friends went there back in the late 70's, early 80's?

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Was that the station corner of Shore Road and Pelhamdale Ave (right up from the NYAC)? still there

How often do you actually encounter the "tip" question on a day-to-day basis? Probably not very often, so it's not like you're getting bled at every turn.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

doors are a pain in the ass..

as for the non-tippers here, dude, give em a buck or two for a coffee for pumping your gas in the freezing ass weather you cheap bastards

Brook! and FJF like this.
  6. The Waterboy

No, it was a Hess station on Boston Post Rd just north of 95, on the left as you head north. I think it was near the corner of Kings Hwy but it has been a long long time.

7. The Waterboy

I usually don't mind doing the doors if I redo the entire frame. It seems like it would be more work to rip out extra and reframe but it saves time by having everything square. Of course if you are talking a block home then not as easy to do that.

Next house I am looking at is 1951 build, block with brick facade. I think it may be my last one so going to go all out, all LED fixtures, split ductless ac, tankless water heater and hoping to get a good deal on some solar panels. Want to try and have money coming back in from electric company.

BrowningNagle and FJF like this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that threw me off as well. This thread is the first time I've even heard of that.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely agree, I just think certain people that are over generous with tips are ruining it for people that can't afford it, because it will cause people to look down on them for not tipping.

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i was in hs in the late 90s, early aughts

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Shit, I guess I need to go back to WalMart after all.....

I change my own oil (actually fix about everything on the vehicle myself) but when I was commuting to JAX for work for awhile I was driving alot, so I would get it done sometimes, esp if it was overdue and the weather was shitty. I'd get it done a WalMart while shopping for some bullshit.
    Next time I went to change my oil, I had to use a breaker bar to get the drain plug off.... havent been back there since, but what are the chances of them forgetting to put the drain plug back in on a 17 year old Nissan Frontier with over 203K? :D

In regards to the original topic.... I went to visit my cousin in Portland a few years ago, and when we pulled up to a gas station, I got out to fill up his tank. "Uh, no, you can't pump it yourself." "WTF?!"
    Of course there was one guy working and four cars waiting for gas. Pretty stupid if you ask me

FJF likes this.
  12. The Waterboy

Probably the older the car the harder the fight to get them to pay for a new engine. And I never understood the people cranking bolts and nuts as hard as they can, if it really needs to lock in, use lock washers or loctite.

Yeah, we were in Oregon a few summers back and I kept getting out to pump my own, hard to get used to after decades of doing it yourself.

13. The Waterboy

Guess not, all my friends were dead, in jail or in rehab by then

All Gas No Shake likes this.