Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I cannot believe that any Jets fan is still calling Josh McCown, "McNown", yet I have seen several posters repeatedly do that. For the love of God, people, can't we even learn the correct name of our players?

donkey and Sam Hammer like this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So none of the QBs are on Elways, Manning or Lucks level so we shouldn’t draft them but give 30mil to a QB that isn’t on Elway, Manning or Lucks level?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. Cousins is better than Manning imo. He is a can't miss free agent. :)

Sorry. I hit send too quick. You are right. Cousins isn't in the same class as Manning or Elway. But he is a known commodity and he is a Top 10 QB in this league. If Eli won 2 SB's Kirk can too. After missing the playoffs for so many years now, I rather go with the known commodity. If we could draft the top QB's without trading up, I would tell you yeah let's go with the QB's in the draft. But at this point we rather push for Cousins and sign him if we can. If we can't, then let's discuss if top QB prospects this year are worth giving up all that draft picks.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. Attackett

Say what? You’re talking about present day Archie right? Or Marshall Manning?

5. Brook!

I edited the post above. Sorry. :)

6. Attackett

I understand those wanting Cousins, I’m not completely against the idea but not exactly for it either.

I hate the argument that so and so QB prospect is not can’t miss so we shouldn’t draft them though. Been hearing this for over 10 years on these boards and it drives me crazy each and every year. There have been exactly 3 can’t miss QB prospects since 1984 yet nearly every draft produces quality QBs.

As far as a top prospect being available I would say that is a near certainty. Now if Mac has a favorite he should do whatever it takes to get that one but one of the four QBs will be available at 6, if not 3 of them.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So those two QBs we have under contract "have a chance to improve"?? You mean with Bowles ? LMAO

Hack will never get a chance and Petty has shown he's a pure 4th Rounder

When Cousins and some other retread QB don't come here and McGown runs out of shelf life or gets badly injured you will change your tune

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

10. 101GangGreen101

Gotta get the Cousins brand out there ... He's definitely not getting resigned by the Redskins; Gruden burned that bridge.

FJF likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The redskins do not have the cap space flexibility in order to sign Cousins via franchise tag as it would be 34 mil. It's going to have to be a long term deal, or he will test free agency.

I personally don't think Macc has the balls to pay a FA QB that much money, but who knows, he did overpay for Fitz.

12. Elway/Manning/Luck types come around once a generation. And all they really entail is that they have high skill sets & no obvious holes in their game. Scouts get paid alot of money to to weed through the arguments against given prospects at any & all positions. It comes down to conviction...there's no such thing as a sure thing QB.

While the Jets have stunk at developing QB's, how are they supposed to get better if they are unwilling to bring young QB's on board to develop?

13. Brook!

Kurt

You make a valid point. I am not against drafting QB's high. I am putting things in order. First, go after Cousins(known commodity). If you can't get him, do everything you can to trade up. Say you failed to trade up, pick the QB thta drops to you.

Even if you sign Cousins, go ahead and pick another QB at 6 without trading up. What I am against is not going hard after Cousins.

That's where I stand.

FlaJet and xxedge72x like this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm with you on this. There's no reason to not pursue Cousins. Getting him doesn't preclude us from drafting a QB we love. We also don't have to break the bank if someone else does. But we definitely need to be in the conversation for a known commodity at a position that we are historically inept at. Cousins is good enough to be the Jets all time leading passer given enough time here. That can not be ignored.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I've said it before but - Cousins will sign with the organization that offers the most for his services. Cleveland, the Jets, Washington, Buffalo, The Orix Buffaloes, it doesn't matter. Whoever offers the most money will get Cousins.

were gonna have a long offseason of rumors and Cousins courtship. Twitter is gonna go wild every time he goes out to dinner with an organization. But in the end, all of that wont matter. It will just be the team offering the biggest dollar figure

16. There are positives to bringing in Cousins..I get it.The thing I really like is he’s give us a selling point to other offensive free agents like college teammate Lavern Bell.We usuallly are barred from non OL prime FA on O bc Of The QB situation. It’d be nice to upgrade the O in a major way.

Where I worry is that there’s no wiggle room w Cousins. Once he’s here & gets adjusted he is what he is. While there is risk w drafted QBs the risk w Cousins could be much more severe bc there’s no further development to transpire resulting in potential improvement.If he falters under the bright lights we’re back to square one w a major cap hit to boot.

The obvious solution would be to do both.Sign Cousins & target a QB to develop behind him at 6. I worry that Cousins would not be accepting of that scenario nor do I think the jets are forward thinking enough to make that sort of move.As typical they’ll bring in whatever QB they want & then immediately move on to other needs.

I’m not convinced Cousins is a transcendent talent & that’s why I have such reservations. If they pull a mike Glennon/Trubisky-Esque move & loaf up the O in the process I’ll be doing backflips

Alas the sad reality is we’ll likely use all cap space on the D & likewise in the draft.Afterall we can’t have nice things

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If you sign cousins you are not taking a qb at 6. Why would you? Cousins isn’t glennon, he is a proven good qb in this league. You sign him and build around him. Maybe 2 years down the road you target 1 but not now

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

19. 101GangGreen101

I think if a team were to provide him a solid plan; I think he could sign for a team for lesser then maximum value. Just my opinion. Cousins is a business man, knows how the business works. If he wants to win, he knows he can't kill the cap. If he wants to absolutely kill the cap, he will need to go elsewhere.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And until we get a QB, filling those other holes become irrelevant. In fact, if you fill holes to improve but don’t have a QB you will be just good enough to not get a great young QB, thus you toil in mediocrity.

QB is that important and you are better off failing at picking one but having the understanding that you just try again rather than being delusional in thinking you can become a legit contender by simply improving every other position and plugging in whatever QB nobody else wants into your system.