Rank These 4 Quarterbacks (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield) . . .

Discussion in 'Draft' started by slimjasi, Jan 7, 2018.

1. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

When is Falk slated to go? Could he be late enough to enable us to double up on qbs? Fourth round?

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He was slated to go late first, early second. He doesn't have a cannon for an arm like Mason Rudolp, or Allen.

He throws the ball hard enough, but he can't throw 70 yards, may be 55 to 60.

Doesn't mean he can't gain arm strength though.

#62 Red Menace, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.:)

Red Menace likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sounds like chad. I haven’t really checked him out. I will though

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I checked him out a couple of times and kinda like him also. I think of Chad with Falk. I am not down on him like some others who bashed his arm strength. But he really doesn't have a big arm I don't think. Looked like deep out stuff could be limited, but we'll see more ahead. But when a guy looks like he has the make up and smarts and seems like he could handle the adjustment to the rigors of the NFL that means a lot imo. It's no joke. It's more than just having talent and I like to look for that in a guys make up. I think he would be a good guy if we signed Cousins. I think 1st, 2nd rd. may be a reach tho.

I'm gonna wait til we see more up ahead to really get an idea of what all these guys are

#65 Walt White, Jan 9, 2018
    FJF and Red Menace like this.
  6. Red Menace

I'm at the same point as you are, I'm just going to wait and see what these guys do in the upcoming months.

Walt White likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, Red, but I have to vehemently disagree with you on this one. Falk would be an absolutely horrible choice. He's got the weakest arm in the draft. There's no way he will be able to make all the throws in the NFL, especially in Northeast winters. The only way he thrives in the NFL is in a dome or in the south or southern California.

Have you forgotten Chad post injuries and how limited the offense was? Opposing Ds didn't even have to cover half the routes because they knew that Chad couldn't throw them and the Jets never did just to keep opponents honest.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lamar can do a lot of things early in his career as he continues to catch up with this QB'n, his footwork is sloppy, but that can be improved, he has a top notch arm and can flick a pass down the field with the flick of the wrist ... Falk has a lot of skill-sets you like as well that translate to the next level, is accurate; I am sure he can pick up a system quickly ... It's up to the coaching to ensure they are in the right situation to succeed. Mac has a lot of work to do, but he can't be alone in that.

Mac can't let the combine completely dictate his choice though, I think that's what happened with Hack.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

We will just have to disagree on this one NC, I also remember Chad throwing 60 yard bombs to Lavernous coles on occasions.

If the jets continue to run the west coast offense, they won't throw bombs downfield all game, and I'm sure Falk while not having Allen arm strength, is still capable of getting enough mustard behind his passes.

Mcown has probably less arm strength than Falk and he was getting the ball downfield and to the side lines in this system just fine.

Honestly I just want to see what these guys can do in the upcoming months, it will give us a clearer picture.

My concern is Mac, he needs to hit this draft out of the ball park.

#69 Red Menace, Jan 9, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  10. FJF

checked out a quick video of his 2016 season. you might be on to something here. very impressed with the way his head moves, really scans the field, thats a good sign. arm looked adequate, nothing special but adequate. the deep ball was there, showed nice touch and anticipation.
    we could do worse

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yes, a gaudy college completion percentage can be misleading, BUT...please show me evidence of a QB who had a completion percentage less than 60% during college that went on to improve it in the pros.

#71 PennyandtheJets, Jan 9, 2018
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Hmm you quoted my post where I wrote Stafford completed 57% of his passes in college, that's 1% higher than Allen's. BTW both Petty and Hackenberg "struggled" with accuracy in college. Yet the the former completed 63% of his passes compared to the latter's 56.1%. When I watched Allen and Stafford's college tape I wouldn't say they "struggled" with accuracy despite their CMP%. Allen does occasional miss some throws you think he should not but for the most part his low CMP% is a product of the offense and the talent around him.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Don't know when but he's going to the Patriots; you heard it here first!

BacktoQueens and Red Menace like this.
  14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

very interesting!

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

we got the two 2nd's to get something done if he does decide to come back up.. I like that scenario the most. never trusted this team with 2nd round picks anyway. Mr. Maye excluded.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I saw a good portion of the WSU-USC game and thought Falk showed a pretty strong arm there. Not sure who's arm is stronger but I disagree about McCown. McCown showed incredible arm strength this year. Some of his deep throws were amazing. I would compare his arm to any in the league including Roethlisberger and Manning.

In any event to save myself another posting here's my list based on QB's I've actually seen play.

1. Mayfield. Put up unbelievable numbers. Exhibited a strong arm and ability to extend plays. Two essentials for success in the NFL.
    2. Rosen. Probably the best arm in the class.
    3. Rudolph. Prototypical NFL QB in every way.
    4. Darnold. Also prototypical but his youth (only a Soph.) scares me.
    5. Falk. Only saw him once against USC but he looked good in that game.
    6. Jackson. Also only once, but it was his last game in which he didn't perform well. Still a QB who can exhibit quickness and evasiveness can have success in the NFL.
    7. Allen. Never saw him play.

17. FJF

We shouldn’t look at the deep ball to decide arm strength. It’s the 15-20 yard outs and posts where you have to have the velocity to zip it in before the defender gets there that truly measures arm strength. Falk may have just enough or can make up for what he is lacking there by anticipating the window and throwing a touch early. That’s how chad survived before the shoulder was completely gone.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Sorry NC I don't want you to get the idea that I am picking a fight all the time with you, but I disagree about Falk.. I am not saying he is the answer but if there ever was a time to use the phrase "system QB" its with Falk.. He played for the System Master in Mike Leach.. A large portion of his offense is the short outs and slants, bubble screens , etc. I would wait and see how he looks at the combine. I am in no way saying he is a first or second rounder at this time but keep an open mind.

Of all of the QBs mentioned as top round picks I have to say I am most interested in Allen, thats after a ton of youtube videos. I know that can be misleading as you are only seeing highlights, but his measurables and arm impress me.. I am not sure what he has between the ears though. We will learn more as the draft nears and again after the combines. LOL maybe then NC we can find something to agree on.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Red Menace

It will break my heart if he ends up there. I like Falk a lot, and by no means am I writing his ticket to the HOF, but if he ends up in New England, that offense is perfect for him.

It's a short and intermediate offense with the occasional long ball. I hope it does not happen.

I'm also not blindly looking at his stats, it's his mechanics, he's a passer with incredible accuracy.

Intelligence is something that none if us can gauge and that's where these guys either make it at the next level or not.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Red Menace

The offense you mentioned is what the Patriots run, with the occasional long ball.

BacktoQueens likes this.