Rank These 4 Quarterbacks (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield) . . .

Discussion in 'Draft' started by slimjasi, Jan 7, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

#1-Whomever the Giants draft
    #2-Whomever the Broncos Draft
    #3-Whomever the Steelers Draft
    #4-Whomever the Patriots Draft
    #5-Whomever the Cardinals draft
    #6-Whomever the Jets Draft
    #7-Whomever the Browns draft

All kidding aside:

#1-Rosen
    #2-Darnold
    #3-Allen
    #4-Jackson
    #5-Rudolph
    #6-Mayfied

Rosen and Darnold are about as safe of bets as they come. Allen is definitely worth the risk given his skill set.

Jackson is probably a long shot, but has enough ability to be intersting in the right system. Rudolph and Mayfield are career backups IMO.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

1. Darnold
    2. Mayfield
    3. Rosen
    4. Rudolph/Jackson
    5. Allen

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

1. Darnold - He has the most important characteristic in a NFL QB being able to survive without an OL. It has been said he slightly needs to improve his mechanics in his release and footwork. But he looks to be the best prospect since Luck.
    2. Rosen - He has the mechanics and arm talent that scouts dream of can a guy with character concerns make it in NYC.

Big Gap

3. Mayfield - I am not sure a guy that might measure below 6 foot when we get to the combine can make it in the NFL. Wilson is special and has the scrambling ability and the smarts to survive. Mayfield only has one of the two and I doubt his football IQ will match that of Wilson.
    4. Allen - He is the protypical NFL QB that Mac seems to fall in love with. I hope he is not another Hackenburg project.

I think this is only a 2 QB draft with a lot of depth of quality guys who should have second and third round grades. If we want one of the top 2 we need to trade up with the Giants or Browns. But take what I say with this the warning that I agreed with most people last year that had Watson as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do wonder with all the FA QBs possibly available how many teams will end up reaching for a QB in the first round this year.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I am so glad you don't work for the Jets. You named a USC QB and an often injured QB as safe bets and two of the best pure passers college football has produced as backups. IMO indeed.

#25 JetsFan, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

#1 - Allen
    #2 - Darnold
    #3 - Mayfield
    #4 - Rosen
    #5 - Rudolph

Allen and Darnold have the most upside in this draft imo, but neither will be ready to roll next year, and they both come with risk.
    Mayfield has a higher floor than both those guys. In the right system, I can see him ending up the best of the bunch.
    Rosen I simply do not trust the combination of character and concussions. I predict a short unproductive lifespan in the NFL for him.

Looking forward to seeing a couple of these guys in the Senior Bowl.

7. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen him play, not impressed.

Yes, every QB has dropped passes, but they also has bad passes that are caught, so it's a wash.

And you actually think a QB who is about 55% accurate in college is going to be better in the pros behind the Jets shitty line?

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Finally a Smorgasbord of QB talent for 2018 !!!!! Just what the Dr ordered for NY Jets

1- Mayfield/Rosen

2- Darnold

3-Mason Rudolf

4-J Allen

#1Baker Mayfield is a winner and fiery competitor..you don't win a Heisman without some accurate passing and big game ability. Kid will learn the NFL game quickly and put run, scramble ability to good use...Major IT FACTOR and my gut says he's gonna be great

#1 Josh Rosen can step in tomorrow and play....as simple an explanation as that..of course it would be good to have him take a year to learn. Has moxie and mouth like Namath...he needs a special helmet from Starter that Mom and Dad the MDs approve of..after that he's good to go

#2 Sam Darnold is just raw talent..was one of my favorites but he lost a step when exposed by the Ohio State defense ..the best he has seen all year...plus he fumbles, bumbles and throws INTs . He needs to be Coached up big time. NOT another Sanchez and would certainly be happy if he came to Jetland...but USC recruits get my superstition up...hope iam wrong

#3 Mason Rudolf is the big sleeper pick..big strong guy with great arm and played tough competition...another guy who knows how to win

# 4 Josh Allen is a big unknown to me..he plays a Pro Offense and takes snaps under center but other than that he never played the big time opponents as other candidates..his last two games were losses against Fresno State 13-7 and San Jose State 20-17 !! The bigger name schools he played against : Iowa 24-3 Loss Oregon 49-13 Loss ; Biggest Wins: Air Force 28-14, New Mexico 42-3, Texas State 45-10!!!!
    In size and strength an NFL QB..a lot of people make excuses that he has no OL or Receivers..etc but I am beginning to scratch my head about the hype surrounding him...is based on what??? ...It can't be his college record..so he has to impress at the Combines ...someone said in media he could be another Wentz? Really?

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Falk in Round 2 or 3 could be interesting as well.

The benefit of a deep positional draft is the value after players fall further than they normally would in other years.

Walt White likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I doubt if Allen had many bad passes caught by his receivers at Wyoming. I don't think it's even remotely close to a wash.

I didn't say that Allen would be better behind the Jets shitty OL. I'm not sure that he can succeed in the NFL, period, or with the Jets either with a shitty OL or a good one. With regards to the Jets, I have to hope that the OL gets seriously upgraded, and believe it will be. I think his best chances of success are to go to a team like Packers, Chargers, Saints or Pats where he can learn from a topflight starter and have some time to develop, and has a chance to work with a quality offensive coach and talent around him.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm not at all sold on Darnold. He is the classic USC prototype QB that looks in total command against incredibly week defenses, and gets crushed against better Ds. He is a more astute Football version of Barkley but with very similar skill sets. He does not have the arm or the release speed to play in cold windy weather. And he is simply too fumble and interception prone for my taste. I'm shocked he is ranked that high. Then again, what the hell do I know.

12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I agree and I think both Rosen and Darnold may not be worth such high draft picks. But everyone wants a QB and the Jets would be wise not to move up and select these QBs. If they are lucky to have either Rosen or Darnold drop down to them, so be it. Otherwise stay put.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Tua aka Russ Wilson Jr lol.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

#1- Josh Rosen- Protoypical Pocket Passer. That game against Texas A&M was all I needed to see. He was a leader and willed his team to victory. His concussions are my biggest concern. His playstyle reminds me of Peyton Manning.

#2- San Darnold- Has the ability to create something out of nothing. Great ability to move around in the pocket and outside of the pocket, to buy time for his receivers. Ball Security is a big concern for me. Specifically Fumbles. His playstyle reminds me of Tony Romo.

#3- Baker Mayfield- A precise passer with the ability to beat the defense with his legs and throws very well on the run. I am most concerned with his character. His on the field behavior reminds me of Cam Newton which I am not a fan of. After running for first downs, he often stares down defenders. His arrest isn’t a good sign either. I do not like this out of a leader for a football team and I highly doubt McCagnan takes a risk on Mayfield at 6. His playstyle reminds me of a more mobile Drew Brees.

4- Josh Allen- Do NOT Draft Allen. Low completion percentage is a huge red flag. Stay away from Josh Allen.

4- Mason Rudolph- I have only watched some of his tape, but I without a doubt prefer him over Allen or Jackson.

I think Jets are hoping Rosen or Darnold fall to 3. If they do, they will give the Colts a boatload of compensation.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

1. Rosen
    2. Mayfield
    3. Darnold
    4. Rudolph
    5. Jackson
    6. Falk
    7. Allen

EDIT: Added Falk ahead of Allen.

#35 ColoradoContrails, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    JetLifeLo likes this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

So can high completion percentages. Geno Smith completed 71% of his passes his senior year and completed 67% of his passes for his entire collegiate career. Matthew Stafford completed just 57% of passes in college. Context matters; that's why you scout the tape and not the box score!

slimjasi, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I just want one of the 3...

Rosen
    Mayfield
    Jackson

I put Jackson on the list because his running ability could be a scary threat in the NFL.. if the jets were willing to take a few pages and schemes from Louisville's playbook (as Texans did for Watson, as Titans did for Mariota) and make him comfortable in the offense I think he could be a force in the league. Plus with our inconsistent O-line we may NEED someone that can run away from pressure and make something happen when the play breaks down. Jackson is also not a bad passer, he can make things happen with his arm too. This jets team has some speed and Jackson could add to that.

I hate when a team drafts a player and tries to FORCE him to fit a scheme the QB isn't comfortable with... at the end of the day its just a waste of the team and quarterbacks time.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This will never happen under Bowles in my opinion. He is inflexible from my viewpoint, and would much rather move players around to fit his game style both defensively and offensively than tailor the game to better suit his personnel. This is one of my biggest bitches.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Guess who Morton worked with? Colin Kaepernick with the 49ers. The offense is already tailored for Jackson. Perhaps you add some Eagle concepts from the Michael Vick days.

JetLifeLo and FJF like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

Warming up to Allen?