It's Official. Jets have the 6th pick in the 2018 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Only Providence will put this damn team over the top. I've felt that for a long time now...Is this the year?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Man I hope so, gotta be one of these years, right? right? anyone?

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What if no one GOOD is left??

Will you still be in Rexstasy? Lol

boozer32 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well that would be understandable, but I know that some here have been wanting an edge rusher as long as I have, and if Rosen and Darnold, plus one of Mayfield and Allen are gone when the Jets pick, do you like Mayfield or Allen well enough to take one of them over Chubb? Many posters here don't like Allen, and I've seen quite a few who don't like Mayfield either. It would be interesting to see the reaction. Hopefully, it doesn't come down to that, however.

5. Walt White

Sign Cousins and you can nab him possibly. Then pick Rudolph or one of the second tier guys later

MDJets likes this.
  6. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the jets ownership would survive a Chubb pick, I've never seen such a QB or bust mentality from my friends or from others in the jets fan community, If mayfield or Allen is sitting there and we pass on them for our 99th defensive first rounder in a row all hell might break loose.

#426 6-10 once again, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Walt White

People would be jumping off bridges lmao

6-10 once again likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Okay guys. Will carry this to Draft Forum shortly. Please visit our Draft Forum more frequently. :)

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Well in a very real sense, it should break loose if the Jets don't take a QB.

I like both Mayfield and Allen. Allen has a higher ceiling, but a much lower floor. I love Mayfield's accuracy, leadership and intangibles, but his relative lack of arm strength is a concern (compared to Allen and Rosen). But then I'm not making the pick. What if the Jets scouts, Mac, Morton, and Bowles are all in agreement that they don't think that Allen or Mayfield are that good a prospects or think that one might drop down lower in the 1st round?

It would be typical Jets luck if they did take one of the QBs hoping that he would pan out even though they didn't like him, and he turned out to be a bust, and Chubb became a perennial All Pro and HOF sackmaster, however.

10. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Mac spent 15 years with the Texans and never found a QB, he left for a quick second and they found one instantly, ironically it was the same one he passed on as gm of the jets... maybe macs 18th year is the charm ?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Why do you say this? Statistically he’s been the most accurate downfield thrower in all of college football the last two years, I’ve seen him launch the ball 70 yards in a game. Scouts say he can make all the throws.

Worrying about his arm strength vs Rosen/Darnolds is like worrying about Brees arm strength vs Stafford/Luck.

Walt White likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, unless Rosen is somehow there at 6. Otherwise, I don't know if there's another QB that would be more certain to transform the "O". And the offense needs more help than the defense.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I say that because in the swirling winds of the Meadowlands in the winter, ideally, the Jets need a QB with a stronger arm than can get the ball through the winds. A number of posters here have knocked Mayfield's arm strength. Some of them have seen him play more than me. I was simply relying on that.

Arm strength is not just a matter of how far one can throw the ball. It's also how fast the ball comes out of his hand and can get to the receiver even on short and intermediate routes. Windows can close quickly in the NFL, much moreso than at the collegiate level. When a QB has a stronger arm and muscle the ball through strong winds or into small windows quickly, he has an advantage.

I don't think that Darnold has a particularly strong arm, either. I think Allen has the strongest arm of any QB in the draft. Rosen is probably #2.

14. DSL97

DSL97 Member

I don't understand this talk of trading up. Just sit where we are and see who's there. 1 of Rosen/Allen/Darnold/Mayfield will be available, or maybe barkleys there. Honestly the qbs have been a crapshoot recently, we don't ever know who will end up bein the best.

MDJets likes this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

By that logic waiting until round two to four to steal our QB of the future could be an even more successful gamble. I really don't want to blow our # 6 pick on the QB lotto but if we are going to take a QB we really should move up. Having an extra second rounder makes it harder to justify not doing it if we really found our guy.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Mayfield arguably has a better arm than Josh McCown and he was serviceable.

I get that arm strength is important, but it isn't everything. Hackenberg has that arm you are talking about and it hasn't amounted to squat. Worrying about performance in December and January only matters if our QB can get us that far in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

All true, good points. I"m not saying that Mayfield should be ruled out because of some shortage of arm strength, unless it is akin to what Chad's was. I loved Chad, but post injuries, he couldn't make all the throws, other teams knew it, and it always had the Jets' offense at a disadvantage.

I like Mayfield, and would not be unhappy at all if the Jets draft him. In several ways I like him better than Rosen or Darnold. He's safer than Allen. I just want which ever QB they draft to turn out to be the right one, who will be a quality starter for at least 10 years, have them in the playoffs every year and give the team a chance to get to and win a SB.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Here's an article you may find interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-favre/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.478ef54d42da

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The deep ball is not the best gauge of arm strength IMO. Putting aside that I doubt Mayfield could throw the ball in the air 70 yards; QBs rarely HAVE to do that in a game. As long as a QB can anticipate, he can survive in the NFL being able to throw the deep ball where the ball travels 50-55 yards in the air max. The true measure arm strength is the opposite hash out route. Can he throw that 30-40 yards on a rope across the field to the outside shoulder with a defender insider in less than ideal weather? I haven't seen him make that throw. Another, thing about Mayfield is can he consistently throw into tight windows. He is a very cautious QB despite his prolific numbers. When forced to make those throws, his inconsistent ball placement is glaring.

All that said, I can see some Drew Brees in him. But a big part of Drew Brees' success is Payton's offense and the fact he plays the majority of his games in a dome or warmer climates. Is Drew Brees a future HOF in the AFC/NFC East/North with a different and possible constantly changing offensive CS. We do not have Sean Peyton, we are not NO and we are NOT in the NFC South, so arm strength and hand size should be legit concerns. We're not talking about grabbing a guy in Day 2 or 3 but the 6th overall pick. EVERYTHING has to be taken into account. He's a flawed prospect like all the others in this class. It's all about which traits you value or concerns you most.

101GangGreen101 and boozer32 like this.
  20. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Agreed vs Allen....Mayfield looks like the safer pick.

I get concerned when i hear about a QB who is not liked by his teammates. I don't know how true the stuff about Rosen is but I'd stay away in the early first.

With Darnold likely going to cleveland or NYG....that leaves mayfield or jackson. I'm good with either. I think jackson has higher risk but higher ceiling.