Rosen and Darnold declared for Draft. How does this impact Jets' offseason and draft plans?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Never know with the draft, crazier things have certainly happened. It’s very possible Giants choose to go with Eli a couple more years and pick best player in Barkley which fills their biggest need. Also extremely possible Broncos go all in on Cousins and many insiders believe they are the front runners.

Between Rosen’s concussion issues and other injury issues plus his perceived attitude issues it wouldn’t shock me at all if he drops. I still maintain that the only QB I would trade up for is Darnold but if they sit tight one or more of the 4 will be available at 6 and it’s certainly possible one of them is Rosen.

GQMartin likes this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

When there’s atleast 5 potential QBs and Barkley you don’t overpay and trade up

If a QB at the very top is a sure thing then the Browns and Giants won’t pass on him no matter the offer

Rosen and Darnold are nice prospects but so are the rest of em....I personally don’t think they are can’t miss. If the Jets really think one of the QBs is can’t miss and the others aren’t then fine but as of today I totally disagree with that

Everything will be much easier once free agency begins anyway

3. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Fair enough. If the Colts are in love with Barkley, I wouldn't dismiss them just taking him or going OLine.

But this draft has been hyped all season as the best QB draft since 04, on the strength of these two players. The past two drafts are prime examples of how desperate teams will be to secure their QB. Look what teams gave up to get Trubisky, Wentz, and Goff, all of whom had nowhere near the hype as these two.

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

All this bullshit is why you need to tank right

Fucking stupid jets no foresight

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

But how far down do the Broncos, Colts and Browns want to drop? After the Jets, Miami at 11 is the first team that could use a QB; then 13 with Washington and 15 for Arizona.

That’s a steep step back in the first round for any of those teams to move out of the top 5. And if the team they trade with improves next year, the first round pick they’d get next year would be a mid-late first rounder. That hardly seems worth moving out of the top 5 for.

legler82 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There were lots of rumblings about Joe Namath too.

donkey and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. King Koopa

There is no bullshit, it's all people not analyzing the whole picture and complaining because its the Jets....there's no guarantee that any of these QBs are franchise QBs

Would it really shock everyone if Rosen turns out to be OK, Darnold is a bust, and Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield are the best of the bunch? So many different scenarios can play out and there are a bunch of QBs with atleast the talent and potential to be very good NFL QBs......I honestly have no idea which of these guys are going to be successful and a lot of it depends on where they land and how they are developed.

This is actually the draft where it's OK to be picking where the Jets are if you need a QB

And even if we "tried" to tank I still dont see how we're picking any better than 4 and maybe 3....our defense and the rest of the team was decent unlike the shitstorm Browns and Giants

FJF, Pepsiguy5, donkey and 4 others like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, like I said before the season, it's REALLY hard to go 0-16. You have to be pathetic, inept, and have the worst luck possible. The Browns found a way to pull it off. God bless them. If the Jets did the same, they would have to clean house. Maccagnan would be fired and Bowles surely would be fired. They won 5 games and could have won more. The potential is there. It's a good thing.

Giants fans think OBJ and Marshall getting healthy, plus adding a RB will get them to the Super Bowl. Not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Pepsiguy5 and King Koopa like this.
  9. King Koopa

I don't mind the team playing hard and putting up a fight. Call me crazy, but I would never root for 0-16 because of the potential of some unknown underclassman in the next year's draft

We're picking sixth overall and have a bunch of cap space in a year where there will be plenty of QB options on both fronts

No one should be complaining at this point, we should be able to greatly improve this team for next year and beyond. You dont need to be picking first or second overall to do that

Pepsiguy5, MDJets and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And the Jets will get a QB. The Giants taking a QB is far from certainty, and the Browns and Colts would have to trade out of the top 10 before finding a team who would need a QB. Even then it would still depend on the Fins moving on from Tannehill and the Redskins making another big trade for a QB. After that it’s Arizona at 15 that makes the most sense.

The Jets are likely the best trade partner for either. It’s almost impossible for the Jets not to get a QB, and if the Giants pass on Darnold we could move to 3 to get him.

NYJetsO12, King Koopa and zace like this.
  11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Rosen or Darnold make it to 3 and I'm sending Indy whatever they want for that pick.

Aero likes this.
  12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I saw one mock yesterday on Bleacher Report that had us taking Lamar Jackson... I wanted to throw up:eek:

13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'd agree but this QB class is 10x stronger.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

My fear is that we are so desperate to find our FQB that it causes us to reach for someone just to appease the fan base.
    I'm sure Mac won't put his ass on the line unless he truly feels the kid he picks is someone he truly believes in ... another failed attempt at a FQB will mean he's done.

Listening to Mac talk on the FAN yesterday he made it a point to stress to the fans that this isn't going to be fixed next season... that he wants to build something with longevity to compete and not just blow our load to make a run next season, which I'm all for.
    This is a crucial time for our franchise... we have to get this right.

I don't see Denver going with a young signal caller as they see themselves as a win now team...have to strike while that defense is still in their prime. I don't see them waiting to develop someone.

Excuse the screwup of me quoting myself... i meant to edit my post lol.

GQMartin likes this.
  15. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

You're right about the gap between desperate QB-needy teams and the next batch. The Jets and Broncos should be the most likely candidates to trade up if one of the two QB's isn't picked at #2.

And if one is available at #4, I could see the Browns, having already drafted the other at #1, willing to drop out to the middle of the round if the return is considerable enough. They're being run by an adult now with Dorsey, and the best way to get results now is get the franchise QB at #1 and then get more picks to fill more needs. And if there's a player they still love available around #8-10, trade up to get him with new and leftover draft capital. Look at Tennessee in 2016: traded back from #1 to 15, then back up to #8. I could definitely see Arizona (new coach, needs a new QB) willing to move up ahead of the Jets/Broncos, whether it's for the one of the big two QB's or even Allen.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm not following...in what way?

17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If Jets trade up, it is obviously going to cost them some picks. I personally believe they will only do that if Mac makes some nice moves during FA to fill Some needed holes and where he is comfortable risking forfeiting two high picks

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Not one bit that I can tell? Everyone always figured Rosen and Darnold would declare.

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Neither of them will be on the board when the jets select and I can't see either of them sliding to the point where they become a realistic option.

I think we should be in the hunt for Mayfield, Allen, Jackson. My preference would be Mayfield but I too would have preferred Rosen

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Assuming the Broncos go with a free agent qb, and we do not, would it still be necessary to trade up to #3 to get Allen (assuming Darnold and Rosen go 1&2)? Would there still be enough teams wanting to trade up that it would be necessary? All the other qb needy teams in the draft might not have the picks to get up to #3,

I'm beginning to get sold on Allen. I just hope we don't have to leverage our future to get him. I think McCown starting with Allen sitting, at least for the beginning of the year, is an ideal scenario. I'm assuming, also, that Cousins would not pick us.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.