Is Leonard Williams a bust ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Jan 1, 2018.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Harrison was undrafted.....not taken 6th overall.If Harrison was a better run stopper and he was undrafted then why did we let him go and waste a top pick on Williams.Harrison should still be here so should Sheldon.Wilkerson should have been the one to go

JetsNation06 likes this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I would say based on where Williams was drafted his return has been solid so far. Not a world beater and not a bust. Somewhere in the middle. Obviously for a premium pick like #6 you'd like to see a greater return. I think he needs to step it up a bit next year. One thing is for sure, the Jets under Mac have not nailed the draft at all. That needs to change this year.

playtowinthegame and stinkyB like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sheldon has been such a BEAST over in Seattle. If anything, the Jets should've went after Dontrai Poe, the NT. A NT that can rush the passer, he could've been a lesser version of Kris Jenkins. I wanted Poe for the longest time on the Jets. Snacks still can't rush the passer over in NYG. I ain't paying him crazy money. I want a NT that can destroy the pocket on passing downs and we still haven't found that player. Jenkins was the last guy.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Of more concern is why are we doubting talented players that are performing at high levels even if they aren't performing up to our unrealistic expectations? Harrison and Richardson were tossed aside. Looks like Wilkerson will be next. Williams too? You can't build a successful franchise if you allow good players to walk out the door, especially when you don't have anyone to replace them. Unfortunately, this franchise has a bad history of prematurely disposing of good players. It really needs to stop.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets need a beast NT. Unfortunately there really isn't one on the roster. McLendon performed admirably as the NT, and did solid given the fact he really isn't a "NT". Next to him, Leo at times was solid. But again where there isn't guys off the edge who can loop around the tackles, opposing teams basically just needed to keep the big boys like Leo and McLendon and etc in front of them. It's about space and the Jets had zero guys who can consistently get pressure on the outside.

Leo was the Jets most consistent DLinemen. Now they need guys who can get pressure , then you will see Leo really shine.

TwoHeadedMonster and Walt White like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no bust but offenses can focus on him without probowl talent around him.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

"Yes, Williams didn't have many sacks, but he wound up with 25 quarterback hits, seventh-most in the league. Wilkerson, meanwhile, had just six. Brutal. "

People need to judge more with their eye and less with the stat sheet. For a team that had what amounted to 0 other threats to get to the QB Williams had a decent year. Not a great one but not as terrible as some would like to think. This was a team who was led in sacks by an inside linebacker and QB hits by an interior lineman. We severely lack pass rushing talent in our front 7. He's a part to build around on the line if we can actually get other talented players who want to show up and play unlike Mo.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Harrison I can agree with as in hindsight it looks to be a terrible mistake letting him walk for nothing. Richardson and Wilkerson I disagree. Every GM in the league would’ve made that Richardson trade and was probably Macs best move as Jets GM. Wilkerson has to go, can’t have a player making that kinda cash breaking team rules and giving little to no effort.

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

This thread is sad.

Walt White likes this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Well said.

In a "down" year for Williams, he was still a very productive, consistent player.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

No.

He was injured for the first quarter of the season and when Wilkerson is playing like a backup DL on South West Missouri State and the rest of your DL is full of average to below average players, it's only natural that Williams saw double and triple teams. Now I will say, if he wants to be an impact player and be lauded upon like the next coming like some Jets fans were quick to do with him, he has to be able to beat those double and triple teams sometimes, but I'll give him some more time, because he as enormous potential and before this year, I don't think he's seen double and triple teams since playing the Pac10 at USC.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Well what does that say about the franchise if we draft good players and they want to leave or forced to leave within a few years?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Says the same thing it says about every other franchise that goes through getting rid of good players or having good players leave, which is every franchise in the NFL btw. What it says is that there is a salary cap in the NFL and every offseason there are good players leaving or being forced to leave throughout the NFL.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Do Jets fans even understand football? Apparently not. There is only so much Leonard Williams can do on this defense. He has played well overall, I would say. If you want to talk about a bust, look at Wilkerson after he signed his deal. Now that is an embarrassment. Williams has been a bright spot on an otherwise dark 3 year period for the Jets.

NCJetsfan, TwoHeadedMonster and zace like this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He was let down by Mo too. Mo's injury and then his selfish behavior. Everybody else suffered around them also. When Mo played hard after the injury for a while the D was much better. But then he decided he didn't care about anybody after they lost a couple more games

Mo basically fucked them. For whatever reason. I'd like to know. It's a team game and now they have get some additional players around to make up for that too. Dude's got a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Btw, Williams was a consensus top 5 pick so second guessing that move is a reach.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Quite possibly the last guy on the roster I'm concerned with

TwoHeadedMonster and zace like this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's not a bust, but I do think he has not lived up to the hype thus far.

IMO, I think his play has been negatively affected by the deteriorating talent on the d-line. First we lost sheldon richardson and Wilkerson has essentially been garbage for 2 seasons now.

He's the only one on the d-line worth anything really and since we have no edge pressure, L. Williams is often times double teamed.

I think he isn't a game changer so far, but I think he can become one if he gets help on the d-line.

I think the book is still open on him.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Wtf is wrong with the fans of this team? Geez man if i ever said anything to offend you i apologize. Youve clearly have always been one of the more rational people on this board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Of course Williams is a bust.

With our A+ defensive backfield he should have gotten double digit coverage sacks at the very least!

[​IMG]

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

the fuck you talking about? I wasn't cracking on you with that post. At least not intentionally. We good.