Question for the board

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Dec 31, 2017.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Players play harder for Todd? How do you that? Revis took the whole year off in 2016 under Bowles. Wilkerson mailed it this year, just after Bowles announced last summer he had no problem with players being late for meeting (something about an alarm clock). I know some of the jets players speak highly of Bowles, but is that a good thing? Gene Stallings was a very popular coach with his players for the Cardinals but they never did much. I will take the "Gestapo" approach as you call it any day over Todd "I'll have to watch the tape." John Wooden was a taskmaster with UCLA to such a point he did not allow his team to even talk to each other during pregame warmups (how many titles in a row?). The Packer players of the late 60s hated their coach Vince Lombardi because he was so strict, but the super bowl trophy is named after him for a reason.

ColoradoContrails and tbruner12 like this.
  2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Gruden go to the Raiders? I didn't see that.
    Harbaugh would definitely be an upgrade.
    I wonder what it would actually take for Cower to come out of retirement?
    If Del Rio is out in Oakland he would even be better than what we have now.
    I would also give Reich a chance.

3. tbruner12

Mangold for sure, Jets ring of fame.
    Brick was good, Harris was decent but couldn't cover a fence post in the passing game. Brad Smith nope.
    Eric Smith nope, Leon Washington nope, Lowery nope. Keller was a flop.
    So yes I will say 4 of Mangini's players were good picks, the rest suck.
    I will hand him this, atleast he had enough sense to fix the O-line.
    Something that hasn't been done here.
    But one thing is for sure, he absolutely blew chunks on the Gholston pick.

#23 tbruner12, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

"ESPN is reporting its employee Jon Gruden will leave the company after eight years and take his turkey hole to the Raiders, where he started his head coaching career 20 years ago. The deal to bring Gruden back to coaching could include giving him a chunk of team ownership, again according to ESPN."

5. tbruner12

Wow!
    Maybe we can just give the JETS to Cower, and pay him $5.00 boot to buy him a happy meal.
    Anything, we just need a coach.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

How do I know that the players play hard? The games I watch convince me of this. Who really knows why Wilkerson mailed it in. Were you present in the locker room to see/hear why? I don't have a clue for that but all I know is what I see on the field.

And just to point out something , my reading your posts tells me your basing your frustration on the 5-11 record only as it appears. But if you dig down not very far, this team could have easily won 7-8 games with just a few breaks/calls going their way and some stupid mistakes by McCown.

And I know for a fact that many experts that covered the Jets felt the same. Hell, even Tony Romo said yesterday that if the Jets obtain a couple of key players in needed areas, they can turn this thing around 180 degrees. With BOWLES!! And you know something, I believe it.

Forget about the Lombardi era, the players in those days are gone. Players today need to be treated with kid gloves because they make so much money they can just out right quit and go to the broadcasting booth.

7. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I agree and thing this is the single biggest issue with the Jets. Like any successful business if the management structure is poor, it will trickle dow to the rest of the organization. Find a Football guy to be President of Football Ops and the Jets can build the right culture and take over the AFC East for a decade. Keep this structure and continue to turn the organization over every 5 years.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Keller was drafted with gholston. He had a good year with favre, the only time he had a qb that knew how to use him. As far as the smiths,Washington,Lowery, those were all big role players for Rex’s playoff run. Not every pick is a pro bowl starter. Those guys that flesh out the bench are what makes success sustainable.
    Gholston was a bust but when you look at the top of that draft, there wasn’t much there that wasn’t going to be a bust . What an awful year that was

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

What's Pete Carroll's contract status in Seattle? Say they don't make the playoffs the next couple of years and his relationship with Allen hits the skids. Paul Allen once fired a GM for basically telling him his basketball team sucked. I mean, there's no way Wilson would put up with it.... but stranger things have happened. Hess was the one who got rid of Carroll not Woody.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Carroll's 66. He's probably thinking of sliding into a senior adviser role and giving his family more of his time at this point. He has his national championships and super bowl ring already.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Well, you are right in some respects. My frustration with MM and TB IS based upon the 5-11 record and back to back last place finishes. Playing hard and still losing should not be acceptable. Nobody likes to lose, but some people don't mind losing as long as they "played hard and gave it our best shot." Those are the kind of players and coaches (like Todd "I'll watch the tape" Bowles) in my opinion you should get rid of.

As to your claim that players should be treated with kid gloves because they can go to the broadcast booth, I guess you are admitting that Bowles is not a disciplinarian. That makes sense because I was stunned by his ridiculous claim last summer that being late for meeting is okay because Wilk (and others) may have forgotten their alarm clock. In any event, I do not agree that an NFL coach should treat his players with kid gloves--that is when the inmates start running the asylum. And for whatever it is worth, if Muhammed Wilkerson wants to leave the jets for the broadcast booth, I'm all for it.

Anyway, appreciate your optimism for next year. Feel free to respond if you want--You can have the last word.

BomberJet likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Possible Pres. of Football Ops candidate?

13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Thanks. Only thing to say about Mo, there was a interview on the radio with Evans Joe on the FAN with a Jets beat reporter that said Bowles did not support the idea of resigning Mo. But that's one source that sort of came out of nowhere.

Anyway, I really believe this team can be a at least a wild card contender in 2018, if things are handled right. Heck even Conner Hughes predicted 10 wins. Go figure.

tomdeb likes this.