How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Mayfield’s greatest strength (best of all qbs coming out) is Geno’s biggest weakness - throwing while being pressured.

2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm also of the belief that being a gamer can't be taken for granted and there some things (most especially for football) that you just can't measure on these guys. And I hope you guys are right about Mayfield panning out most especially if we get him. I just worry that he could potentially be a bad bust and if we end up taking him 6thish overall and he DOESN'T turn into Russell Wilson 2.0............

Ughhh.

Of course that is why its so important that the Jets evaluate this whole scenario correctly and get it right... whatever that may be. High stakes.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The Wilson comparisons are terrible IMO. Wilson is way more athletic and way faster than Mayfield.

Peebag and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Wilson is a 4.55 guy, mayfield will run similar 4.5-4.7... the likeness people see has more to do with their composure, though. Guys like Wilson, Watson and Mayfield have a sense of calm when things around them are falling apart.

I’m usually the guy who wants the big power thrower like Allen, but I think Mayfield is special.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They said similar things about Mariota.

Obviously the two are completely different players but the numbers for Mayfield are still eyebrow raising, in my opinion.

6. Pepsiguy5

Doug Flutie was an example of the "gamer" type. The NFL basically passed on him because he wasn't big enough but he had a heart in there like the Grinch after he discovered xmas and the whole world missed the boat on him.

I think the problem is if your the one actually ponying up your #6 overall pick is that for every Doug Flutie and Russell Wilson there are a lot of misfires. Late 1st round/2nd round is a little different but top 10 you can't afford to be wrong. At least not if you want to be a top end playoff team. Total uninformed guess on my part but Baker Mayfield just doesn't seem like a Jets type of player. I'd be really surprised if they went that route unless it involved trading down or something.

Brook! and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Assuming the Giants and Browns take Darnold and Rosen, would you feel comfortable with the Jets using a Top 5 pick and possibly even trading up for Mayfield or Allen? Some team will. I don't think any of those 4 QB get out of the Top 10. Maybe even Top 5.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Agree completely. People who say pick Mayfield or Jackson in the late first -early second round don't realize all five QBs - Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson - are all gone by then. If the Jets want a QB they have to take him with their first round pick - or even trade up from the 6-8 pick they will end up with to 3-5 to get the guy they want-other than Rosen and Darnold (who will got to Clev and NYG). You have to overdraft to obtain a QB in the draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Joe Willie White Shoes

So because of playing McCown, the Jets got to keep the HC we don't want and ended up losing out on the QB we need and want. Bowles will be gone by the end of 2018. And the Jets will have the same QB conundrum as always - bad late QB picks competing with career back ups and never was and never will be veterans.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

More than likely the Jets will have a choice between Jackson, Josh Allen and MAYBE Mayfield. Rosen doesn't want to go to the Browns, so I hope the Browns take Mayfield, Giants take Rosen and we find a way to get Darnold via trade-up. If that cannot happen, go for Lamar. No trade up needed IMO.

Lamar is going to shock a lot of people, especially for those who didn't watch him play this year.

FJF likes this.
  11. Joe Willie White Shoes

And I hate to break the news to all the Cousins backers, but he isn't coming here unless nobody else wants him. He wants to win. The Jets are as far away from winning as any team that needs a QB. He will end up with a contender - Denver, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Arizona and not with a rebuilding team like the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Joe Willie White Shoes

I hope Cleveland doesn't bend to the pressure and takes Rosen and keeps him. Call his bluff. He can't stay at UCLA with Kelly coming in with the spread and he won't hold out. He has no options.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

More than likely it'll be an Eli situation with another team, making a trade-up for Rosen. That's if they definitely take Rosen and they should. Then find a way to trade him, get a boat load of picks then get Mayfield. Browns can't just keep him hostage, it's not worth the trouble.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

the fans in Cleveland must be in an Uproar...the new GM there is in a bad spot...Rosen is another Namath with the Chutzpah to tell them thanks but no thanks

I would love a miracle and have him here in NY

#314 NYJetsO12, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Pepsiguy5

Lamar Jackson may well prove to be awesome but going all in on a run-first QB just makes me very nervous. I'd much rather go with the stereotypical 6'4" gunslinger type.

The Dark Knight and Peebag like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, Red. If the Jets sign Cousins, there would be no point drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds. It would just be wasting the draft pick. In that scenario, even using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB could be considered wasting it.

Barring injury, Cousins will start for the life of his contract, and he isn't gonna sign anything shorter than 4-5 years unless he is exceptionally greedy and wants to do the 1 year at a time thing you suggested. Thus, the rookie QB you draft is gonna be stuck sitting on the bench for the entire duration of his rookie contract and never see the field.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I don't think the situations are that similar. Brees suffered an injury to this throwing shoulder, and had thrown double digit interceptions 3 of his 4 starting seasons in SD. In addition to insurance in case Brees wasn't the same, I think SD thought Rivers was a better QB anyway.

18. NCJetsfan

What you say in your bolded sentence is true, but one can't afford to go without a FQB prospect, either. If the Jets try to get too cute or look for too perfect a prospect, they could wind up on the outside looking in with no young QB again. Any time one uses a high pick on a QB, a significant degree of risk is involved. Greatness isn't achieved without risks and making bold moves. I'd rather swing for the fences with a QB prospect and miss, than play it safe and be mediocre.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I posted on another thread saying I wave a white flag here...sorta..that IF the Jets go this route in which none of us has any control over:

There have been several recent QB FA acquisitions that resulted in SBs eg P Manning Drew Brees Kurt Warner ..R Gannon ..almost for Raiders..Jim Plunkett in 1981 did it for them

Is Cousins on the same level as the above?? Well certainly NOT Peyton or Brees for that matter..He may be another K Warner..but who knows

The Jets get Cousins I am expecting nothing less than > Playoff appearances and quick SB win...if not the Jets prob forfeited a decision to move up and draft one of big 3 or Josh Allen

Personally I like a drafted QB but oh well..Alot depends on the Toilet Bowles decision,,have him stay or leave

Leaving predicts a push for a drafted kid

His staying means Cousins and the Vets are in control

#319 NYJetsO12, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Mahomes beat out Mayfield and caused him to transfer - just say no to the Baker man