How would YOU handle the Jets Quarterback Situation in 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 7, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes but my point is if this is truly a rebuild for the Jets and Mac prefers to use the Draft to do that...the THE DRAFT is what they should predominantly do to get a better team

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

The big caveat is Washington has not secured him ...

Why ??? Take a look at my previous posts ...with an equal strength of schedule as Jets and relatively equal talent (they have a better team than this years Jets ..please) The Redskins have lost 8 games to good teams an Under Cousins they have only beaten the Rams this year

Forget the age issue ...So you are comparing Cousins to Brees Rivers Rodgers Big Ben and GOAT???? Those guys are already on road to HOF

Sorry this is where we really disagree...Cousins was in one Wildcard game and lost in 2015

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you can build other positions in the draft. I'm not against drafting a QB hence why I had 2 options in my post, but you can pay someone who is proven to be a stud at the most important position or wind up throwing a high pick at the next sanchez which set the franchise back 5 years. Landing cousins gives us a pillar to build around, drafting a QB is a huge question mark anyway you look at it. Even with McCown we did good this year. With someone like cousins we could have made a playoff with the roster. we get enunwa back next season off injury will still have the full draft with a top 7 pick and 2 2nd rounders plus 50-60 million for free agents. we could trade back a few spots for more picks grab OT williams to anchor the line. use the 2 2nds on a center and a playmaker and be much better off. Cousins means in 2018 we will compete with room to get better over the next few years. drafting a QB means growing pains and by the time he's good, if ever, we'll be in need of a full remake.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Even if the Jets did sign him, they can still draft a QB in the 3rd round of this years draft.

5. GasedAndConfused

You put too much blame on a QB that has produced over and over and not enough on the shit players around him. Washington has proven to be an inept franchise time and time again under snyder just like oakland was with davis and when he passed they started to become good. snyder is one of the worst owners in the NFL and bullies his GMs and coaches.

NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

I pegged a QB in the 5th round. furgeson. I like him as a project

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

"Build and develop a kid." What a novel idea!. The Jets had two kids on the roster this year to build and develop - Petty and Hack. Why did they sign a QB who tests positive for Geritol in 38 year old McCown ? And then why play him? The Jets threw away the opportunity to have their pick of 4-5 first round QBs by just playing a young QB on the roster. Instead, McCown has a career year and poof goes the young QB.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

It's a wash then..the Johnsons are equally bad: they have no football brains institute a system where GM and HC are equal??? a terrible HC millions on defense and they suck

So Cousins will win a SB with Robbie Austin and Powell.??..maybe ...maybe not

#288 NYJetsO12, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. NYJetsO12

Couldn't agree more Joe ...if you read my old posts I am all in favor of getting a better Offensive minded HC and staff

Old vets like JOsh M are here because our HC doesnt trust rookie QBs wants to save his job and lives in the 1980s with his philosophy...he has got to go

I want us to develop a drafted kid and do it the RIGHT way

10. GasedAndConfused

just sounds like your more jaded into the "SOJ" then thinking rational. It's amazing how many jet fans really loathe this franchise and think we are the worst ever. there are franchises much worse then us. Sure we aren't NE or pitt franchises that have dominated for a long time but they are exceptions. outside of them which franchise has dominated for the past 10-20 years? NFL is all about parity teams do good then they do bad it's all part of the NFL eco system. sure i'd like to win a SB we'd all like to see that, but what I seen is we have a solid young core and the ability to land the elusive franchise QB we haven't had in my lifetime and money to spend on FAs and extra draft picks. I see a team that could compete for a SB in 2 years if we land cousins.

11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

A. Move up to draft Rosen or Darnold.
    B. Stay put and draft Mayfield or Allen.
    C. Draft Jackson, back up that pick with a qb in rd. 3 (like Washington did with RG3/Cousins). I like Falk in this scenario.

GQMartin and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This doesn't rule out the possibility of drafting a young QB that can learn behind Cousins if the jets were to sign him.

Drew Brees had a similar situation with the chargers, he was drafted in the second round because the all knowing scouts said he was too short to play at a high level in the NFL, even though he was lethally accurate, had a good arm, excellent footwork, they found a reason to not draft him.

4 season into his career the Chargers drafted Rivers, and Drew went on to sign with the Saints even though he had been very productive for the chargers they were afraid of the injury and didn't want to take a chance that he couldn't come back to his former self.

Kirk Cousins is in the same situation, 4 years in as the starter, the Redskins still don't believe he can be the FQB they are looking for even though he has put up excellent numbers, now he faces a situation where he has to sign with someone via FA and it looks like whoever signs him is getting a productive QB.

I'm playing devils advocate here, looking at it from both perspectives. We shouldn't be dogmatic about a hypothetical situation, and it just might be that he ends up in Denver, who wouldn't want to play QB for the broncos organization?

#292 Red Menace, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If Denver really took Josh Allen and that option is not there for us my enthusiasm drops off a cliff for the remaining rookie QBs personally.

I think at that point signing Kirk Cousins and then using our pick on maybe Saquon Barkley the theoretically awesome RB or Christian Kirk the theoretically awesome WR to go with Cousins, ASJ, Powell, Robby etc now all of a sudden this Jets offense is looking pretty freaking badass relative to the shit we've been running out there the last few seasons.

14. GasedAndConfused

realistically cousins situation should be sorted out well before the draft

Red Menace likes this.
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's little reason to believe that Cousins would even want to come to New York. If he wants to be a part of a disfunctional organization, he can just take what the Redskins are offering (or accept yet another franchise tag to the tune of $35 million) and accomplish that.

16. GasedAndConfused

again, why do people think players don't want to be a jet. that's insane. I mean you want disfunctional look at the browns, look what the giants did, look at buffalo benching their QB to cost them a playoff spot possibly. and players still want to play there. for players it's a job and teams are companies, would you refuse to work for a company offering you a lot of money? probably not

FJF likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I understood/agreed with this thinking until I watched more of Allen’s games. I love his prototypical size and arm but he misses too many easy passes and their is no natural flow/rythm to his game. I’ve never seen him complete like 7-10 passes in a row/throw for over 400 yards, etc.... Now much of that can be contributed to the talent around him and his offensive line. Still, when I watch his tape, I want to be reminded of Wentz but instead see more Hackenberg/Mallet... go back and watch their similar college tapes but be prepared to be a little disappointed. I know I was. I’m also a believer that consistent accuracy can’t be taught in most cases and you should not draft any qb with accuracy concerns (less than 60%) in the top of rd.1...

On the other hand, the more I’ve watched Mayfield, the more I’ve been impressed. Particularly when under pressure. It’s not a stretch to say the guy plays like Russell Wilson. The guy just has “it” and makes it look easy, passes on time, perfect screens, hitting guys in stride, feeling pressure and just not giving a crap. He plays with passion and is a natural thrower, good runner who can become a giant PITA for other teams when he gets hot. If he was taller and looked more like a typical Qb, he’d be he first guy taken. I think he’s going to be a very good pro... maybe best in this class when all is said and done.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m warming up to Mayfield the more I look at his tape and numbers.

Statistically, his improvements, year over year, are astounding.

Numbers-wise he cucks everyone else in college plus he’s a winner. I’m really looking forward to the playoffs, senior bowl, and combine to see what see has.

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I throw the numbers out the window when taking about mayfield. The big 12 wants to run 100 plays a game on offense and the defenses literally sit in cover 2 and try not to get beat deep. The offense tries to snap the ball within 8 seconds of it being placed down and before the defense can get set. With all of that said, if mayfield was there in the late first or early 2nd by all means - take him. I love the guys charisma and energy he brings. He has that IT factor just like Watson had. He’s a gamer and that can’t be taken for granted. However, he is really small and might even measure in less than 6 foot.

Off the top of my head I’m pretty sure his numbers were almost identical to Geno Smiths the year we drafted him.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.