The Jets WERE Better Than People Think

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 27, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was talking about this earlier with a friend. It's crazy to think how far the Jets have fallen the last 7 years and how accepted it is by fans.

2009-2010 the Jets won 4 playoff games and played in 6.

Since 1998 the Jets went to the playoffs in 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2010.

They won 7 playoff games during that stretch. Pretty impressive.

2011 they went (8-8) then forced Sanchez out despite a 32 TD season and have been an embarrassment since. Fans have come to accept it. Saying Same Ole Jets. It's not true though. They have been much worse and it is unacceptable.

Now Todd Bowles is about to go (20-28) in 3 seasons with 0 playoff appearances, (10-22) the last 2 seasons and fans think that is good because he did not go (0-16)?

Not me. It's terrible. He needs to go, just like Rex needed to go in 2014. (Really 2012 but that is a different story)

We can see some progress and potential from some of the young players. The next coach can take that and make it even better in 2018. Not sure Bowles can.

Point is: The Jets and their fans should have higher standards. 7 straight seasons without a playoff appearance should not and cannot be accepted. Hopefully they will make a big jump in 2018 and then another in 2019. One can hope!

boozer32, grkmanga31, CBG and 15 others like this.
  2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

At my age, I'll always root for them. I'll talk on the phone with my Dad 50 times a game because it means a lot to us both. That being said, they have been a bad organization for so long that I expect them to suck way more than I expect them to be good. Look at the history. Just look at the lack of division titles. I'll always root hard, but I'm quite sure I'll never even see them play in a SB at this point.

My expectations and standards to which I hold this team will always be low. They have more than earned it.

boozer32, Jets69, Peebag and 4 others like this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'll say it. This "SOJ Culture" is pure cuckoldry. Acceptance of something that you disapprove of is pathetic competitively and as a man. It's like the fandom likes to be shat on.

The Aughts have been good to us considering our history yet everyone acts as if we've never been worse. Brady and Beli have blocked us off from having more acknowledgment as we've played little brother to them during this time. It's unfortunate, yeah, but we really need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves as a fanbase. It's gotten to the point where even when we're posed for something good that we still make the team a joke. It's cowardly.

4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

The problem IMHO is that this organization tolerates failure and revels in mediocrity. Ownership's goal doesn't appear to be winning a championship at all costs; but rather, to be just good enough to appease the fanbase, and stay off of the back page of the Post in any negative context.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Not only do we need a FQB to get this team headed in the right direction , we also need a franchise coach... and that ain't Bowles.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I would say at this point AT LEAST 70 % of the Fanbase think Shoddy Toddy has to go ...the guy and his philosophy is toxic

There's a place for TB on the sidelines resurrected as another teams DC or on a talk show with Herm Edwards ahahah

The Jets are a tough sell to any FQB with the clueless Johnsons as owners

At least you can eliminate Bowles

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I agree with the title, the Jets very much did play way better than probably just about everyone thought except for those pipe smoking dreamers.

With that said, it does NOT mean that we must give the front office another year. I'll leave it up to you to decide who should stay and who should go but my take is the following:

1) I really don't know what to think about Mac? Sometimes I think he's really coming around and other times I think he's a total clusterfuck. Honestly, I think he should stay but it's time for him to start to justify his hire. This team MUST have a franchise QB and it's Macs job to find the kid. If he does that one thing? I bet a LOT of fans, including myself, will change their tune about Mac.

2) I've seen enough of Toilet to know he is NOT the answer, nor will he ever be. He simply hasn't gotten any better on the job. He's not learning as a HC. He's making the same mistakes in year 3 that he made as a rookie HC. The most damming thing however is his total inability to make in game adjustments. Toilet has never been a chess player. He sucks at chess. That is a prerequisite to being a HC I firmly believe. If you cannot change up your strategy on the fly, you will NEVER have an answer in the long term to what the opponent is doing to you. Toilet failed out of coaching X's and O's class. He's a mental midget in comparison to a guy like Bellichick when it comes to X's and O's. To play in this division and play the patsies twice a season, you'd better know 1) What the rivalry means? and 2) you MUST know X's and O's. Toilet knows neither.

He needs to go and that is all there is to it.........

boozer32, Greensleeves, CBG and 2 others like this.
  8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The reason why we haven't been good the past 7 years is because we haven't drafted well. We drafted pretty well under Mangini and put up 2 winning seasons out of 3 while he was here. The one losing season and the collapse at the end of his final season are attributed to poor QB play. Unfortunately our drafts between 2010-2014 were a complete trainwreck and left a terrible foundation by the time Rex and company left town. Bowles inherited a pretty horrible roster as a result and Mac has done an average job restocking the cupboard.

I think the role of the HC gets a bit overrated, we will start winning again when we fix the OL, get a decent pass rush and stabilize the QB position. These are all areas where we just straight up lack talent. Until then we'll keep calling for the HC's head.

9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

1998 through 2010 was a fun run, the most successful run in franchise history.

Since then we have, now officially, been in the third longest playoff-less streak in franchise history and once we miss the playoffs again in 2018, the 2011-2018 Jets will be tied for the 2nd longest playoff-less streak in franchise history. The all-time record is 11 seasons, 1970-1980. Will we break that? If we don't find a franchise QB and keep trotting out Bowles, who is and has always been in way over his head, we will.

Chrisiue likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

What a bunch of nobodies think is acceptable has absolutely zero bearing on how the team performs on the field.

You mopes think the reason the patriots win all the time is because their fans won’t accept anything less? Sheer stupidity.

tbruner12, zace, Jets69 and 4 others like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

4 different head coaches and 3 different gms in 17 years woody has owned the team. I don’t know how you call that tolerating failure. Please explain your reasoning to me

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This thing is starting to resemble putting a swiss watch together piece by piece without the instructions. Owner buys team, no idea how to build a solid franchise. Owner hires several GM/HC's that talk a great game but don't deliver. Owner refuses to hire Operational Head to oversee all football operations but instead, continues to make the same mistakes over and over. Without a true VP or Pres. of Football Ops, we'll be seeing the same scenario play out over the coming years. Team vacillates from awful to mediocre and back to awful. I'm pretty sure Woody is still calling shots although not publically. Chris Johnson has as much experience as an owner as Woody had when he bought the team and that my friends ain't good.

Pres. of Football Operations. Let him call the shots! Chris/Woody? Just go kick back someplace and count the cash. Let a real Football man run the franchise for the first time in decades! Please, do it for us longtime fans that don't have another 5 decades to hang around.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I agree that more needs to be expected from this franchise. However I think Bowles and Mac will get one more shot next year. With all the cap space as well as available talent in the draft and FA, there is no excuse for this franchise not to get better this offseason. If they don't vastly improve personnel wise and their win total next year, then it's time for a HC/GM change.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It will always come back to this. A true architect to oversee the entire football operation. A guy who has a vision and literally can build a full skeleton from scratch into a winning team/program. If they could ever get this guy and he knows what he's doing then we'd all be happy I agree. Until then (if it ever happens), I'm just hoping for a successful offseason and praying that Mac has a plan. No excuses for him.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  15. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Biggest disappointment this year has been the lack of progress as the year went on, progress early gave hope that this coaching staff was starting to get it right, 3-2 was a shocking record, as time went on the only bright spot this team has had this year was finding out we have receivers.
    Coaching has portrayed itself as incompetent, timeouts during games not even laughable, penalties cannot even be a shock just expected, two losses to Tampa Bay, Denver, all on coaches, never any in game adjustments or changes.
    Continual BS about good weeks in practice, playing hard, have to cut down on mistakes, same crap.
    I do give the fans credit, they send a message every week this year, it’s called empty seats, it is the only way to get a culture change.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And the fan base has shown, this season, that they don’t even celebrate mediocrity, they celebrate losing. They act like winning 5 games is an accomplishment that indicates strong personnel selection and coaching.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Prior to these past seven years we were consistently in the playoffs since Woody took over. He may not be a great owner but we were had plenty to be excited about going into many seasons.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That is one way to look at things.

Another way is to say that Parcells rebuilt this organization and everyone else has been given too much credit for winning with his players & picks with the exception of Mangini who gave us a second wave to ride.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I am having an equally difficult time understanding how constantly running through coaches is going to bring about a dynasty.

Some folks on here think head coaches and QBs are like instant lottery tickets, you scratch them off, find out if they're a winner or a loser in ten seconds, then move on to the next.

You realize that Belichick only had one winning season in his first 7?
    Landry didn't even have a winning season until his 7th.

I'm not saying Bowles is going to be that kind of coach. I'm asking what good it's going to do to bring in another coach just to fire him in 3 years and start over?

This group won't be happy unless the Jets miraculously hire the next John Madden and draft the next Otto Graham to play QB (Only coach to never have a losing season, and only QB to reach the championship game every season he played, for those too ignorant to know and too lazy to google).

Aero and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Drafting has been a part of it for certain, but it is much more than that. It starts and ends with the cluelessness of our owner, his refusal to bite the bullet and do a complete rebuild until this year, and his hiring of one former DC after another who know nothing about offense, and don't care anything about offense. They have this ultraconservative, passive approach and try to win with D, which won't happen in today's NFL. We may never know how much input Bowles has had into Mac's drafts. We know that Mac at least has tried to be aggressive trying to trade up for QBs. Bowles easily could have had Woody's ear since Woody settled on hiring Bowles before he did Mac. Mac was more or less hired on the contingent that he approved of Bowles as HC. I believe that Bowles has called most of the shots and Mac has had to draft mostly defensive players to give Bowles what he wanted and told Woody he needed.

Until Woody sells the team or somebody knocks some sense into his head and he hires a football man to run the team and then steps back and lets that man run the team, nothing will ever change substantially with the Jets. It's going to get a little better, a little worse, maybe a lot worse some years, but no decent HC or GM candidate will take the job because of Woody's stupid org chart and interference. This team is doomed, and we fans are suckers if we continue following this team.

boozer32 likes this.