2017... What went wrong??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 24, 2017.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

We were never going to go literally 0-16 like the Browns apparently will and the Giants are even shittier than us trying to tank this season

After that we will probably have a shot of any of the other potential franchise QBs in the draft if we want

Even so I’m not convinced at all that Rosen or Darnold will be better pros than any of the other guys this draft...I would probably take the field against them honestly

So basically even if we tried to tank without McCown we’re still probably picking 3rd or worse....oh well

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

We're the Jets, it's what we do.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I predicted 3-13 assuming Petty and/or Hackenberg would take most of the snaps, so I agree with you - 3rd is as high a pick as I would have thought was possible. The fact that they could finish 4th is amazing with 5 wins, but unlikely. Somewhere in the 6-to-8 range is most likely. There will still be plenty of QBs around then, even with Rosen and Darnold gone. Allen, Jackson, and Mayfield all have clear issues, so who knows who will be around when the Jets pick?

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Obviously the jets need a QB. They either draft one or go the FA route again. I’m almost ok with a FA so long as they grab a late round prospect and dump a TON of money into fixing the OL.

Fix the OL and suddenly the whole offense improves, journeyman, rookie, top tier FA, doesn’t matter.

We haven’t had a good team since we had a good OL and that’s a fact.

FIX THE GODDAMN LINE.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't be ok with a FA ...we already have Josh M

Focus on that FQB and yes draft some OL...no more defense.. it's just stupid

JetsNation06 likes this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We should get the scouting teams opinion on who is the best QB in the draft at pick 7 or 8. Then we should absolutely not draft that QB and draw lots. It’s the only way to break the cycle.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And Hackenberg is worse..you should finish the thought.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m ok with a top tier FA QB, like the ones that likely won’t hit the market. But if they did, it would probably take all the OL rebuild money off the table. Pick your poison. Or, hopefully, pick a good goddamn QB in the draft.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

It is time for the owner or owners to think out side he box & give Belly 10% of the team so we finally get somebody in management that knows something about FB instead just dolts like MCC & TB who are just collecting paychecks :mad:

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Champ, I think we need a Plan B since your idea will NEVER happen. We're stuck with the present ownership for the foreseeable future. We're also stuck with Macc and TB unless the team craters. Neither one of us will live long enough to see another SB Champ. I would make peace with that thought and slowly start to disengage from this generation of the NYJ's. You'll feel better with a bit more distance trust me. Things won't seem as critical as they used to, head scratching decision making on the field becomes common place, seeing the same things over and over again getting the same result seems normal.

See, Life can be beautiful!! :)

#50 Cman68, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What went wrong is the same thing that went wrong with 90% Of the teams that won’t make the playoffs. No qb.

TwoHeadedMonster and Red Menace like this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Good season for a young squad. Move up in the draft with the Bengals win and maybe a SF win next week. McCown getting hurt when he did let them gain experience without winning. Great cap space and in position to get a QB without trading up. Plenty to look forward to.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Yep. The Jets even suck at sucking.

:rolleyes:

14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I think the biggest thing that went wrong was the continued lack of development from our recent draft picks.

Out of all the picks McCagnan made in his three drafts which ones had a good year? Undrafted Anderson is the best of the bunch. I would also throw in Jenkins and Maye as two that look good based on where they were picked. The rest? Adams and Williams disappointed, Mauldin? Nope, Burris? Nope, Shell? Not great. The QBs? Hell no, Lee? Officially a bust.

The reason the team won 5 games was because vets like McCown, Kearse, Claiborne, etc outplayed expectations.

Until the Jets start using draft picks on players who can either improve the passing game or pass defense they will continue to be in this rut. Players like Williams and Adams would have made a difference 10-15 years ago but in todays NFL they are totally useless.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think you are being too harsh on the defense. I think it's a good defense. This defense does not have the luxury of playing tight against opponents. If the Jets offense had the ability to put points on the board consistently, I think you would see a very formidable defense out there. Right now, the Jets have to play a defense that makes opponents earn their points by marching down the field piecemeal and hoping a penalty or turnover stops a drive. The one thing the Jets can't afford is a quick score because of the difficulty the offense has to get those points back. If they can somehow get the offense on track through the draft and/or FAs, the defense will come into it's own and be more than adequate to get the team into the playoffs.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yep life is beautiful & I HAVE stepped back from the NYJs. In fact with about 4 minutes left in yesterday game I found it was to hard to watch Petty any longer so I switched to HBO on demand to watch the Sopranos since I knew Petty would not get it done. My suggestion was more tongue in cheek but really from the ownership POV really has a lot of merit. Sorry to say the Johnsons are just to dumb to see the good sense in my proposal :mad:

#56 championjets69, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2017
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Merry Christmas Champ! You're OK pardner!!

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What went wrong is that they kept Bowles as HC, and didn't play Petty and Hack. The defense, for all its investment, is mediocre at best, and the offense plays like the afterthought it's been all these years.

Aside from that, it was a good season.o_O

Leicester Jet and jets_fan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What went wrong with 2017 is the same thing that has gone wrong with the Jets every year since Leon Hess became the sole owner of the team in 1984: a stupid owner. It will continue to go wrong until Johnson sells the team.

jets_fan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just a comment on the CB's: I have yet to see a CB play particularly well in the absence of a functional pass rush.

Any good QB will pick apart any NFL defense given 3-4 uninterrupted seconds to scan the field.

Kris 15 and ColoradoContrails like this.