I think Bowles will be back-

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’d write a multiple paragraph essay on why you are wrong and your opinion is worthless but since I don’t watch the games, why would anyone care?

legler82, hornblower and FJF like this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ok. Not just Petty and Hackenberg.

Can you name one player that improved under Todd Bowles's guidance? The defense, as a whole, certainly took a nosedive.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fold this thing into one of the already existing Bowles threads, please. The title makes it look like there is new ground to cover - not even close.

hornblower likes this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The arguments for keeping Bowles:
    -

The arguments for firing Bowles
    - Horrible game manager.
    - Defense, which is his side of the ball, is getting progressively worse each year.
    - He coaches scared
    - No young QB development, developed a 38 yr old has been
    - Wasted timeouts
    - Special teams stink every year
    - Undisciplined stupid penalties every game
    - Mannequin on the sidelines, no emotions
    - Out coached every game

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Seriously! I mean what is the argument for keeping Bowles? Going (20-28) with 0 playoff appearances in 3 years is not exactly what I would call good. The last 2 years (10-22) including a team that flat out quit in 2016. A defense that has underachieved all 3 seasons, yet he refuses to fire his buddy Rodgers, who clearly is a terrible defensive coordinator. He lets stars mail in seasons despite huge pay days (Revis, Wilkerson, etc).
    A positive people keep saying is the Jets show up most weeks and compete. That's their job. The only reason people bring that up is because many weeks of the 2016 season the team DID NOT show up. Anyway: Fire Bowles. :D

6. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

If Bowles is back, we won't draft a QB in round 1. Take it to the bank.

7. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Complete speculation only...

But I was listening to WFAN earlier, and they were discussing an interesting possibility for Bowles that Albert Breer brought up yesterday in an interview on the station. There's been talk that Bruce Arians may retire after this season, and Breer was wondering if Arizona may want to 'trade' for Bowles to replace him, given his recent history as defensive coordinator there prior to the Jets.

I get the feeling most on the board would love this. To not only be able to get rid of Bowles, but get draft pick compensation for him. But, again, speculation only, as I don't see anything online supporting it.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Some Christmas present it could be.

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You're exaggerating, Zach. Powell and Anderson? McCown had a career year. You can't have it both ways and disregard these if you're going to blame him for other players not improving.

But I get your point, and the poor line play on both sides obviously reflects on Bowles.

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Other people are way more knowledgable about the way a football team is put together, but this is my main point about Bowles:

Is this team on paper better than five wins? I really don't think so. So how terrible can he be? Yes, you can point to examples of this and that, but at the end of the day he squeezed five wins and a host of tight games out of this pile of puke roster. Does he get no credit for this whatsoever?

AlexJETS and soh_vet like this.
  11. Just don’t think it’s the right timing unless Bill O’Brien gets let go which I have my doubts about. Nobody that enticing out there as candidates & we’d be directly competing w the giants.

I don’t think Bowles is the answer by any means..but I’m willing to give him a chance to improve and become it. It starts with being in lock step w the FO this offseason & actually showing care for aggressively pursuing a FQB.

Additionally,this game management thing has gotta get straightened out.Herm had similar problems & brought in Dick Curl.They still weren’t perfect but things improved. At least Herm acknowledged it & attempted to fix it.Maybe Bowles needs to do something similar.

The overriding conservative “punting is good” philosophy he currently employs has gotta go.If its bc Of the poor roster that’s fine..but things better get a helluva lot more aggressive minded & competent in crunch time once the roster improves

All I care about is getting a QB.Even if it isn’t the answer or the guy busts at least it’s hope.Ive seen us held back by every other team in this division having a dominant stretch w an all time great QB..SB or otherwise..It’s jets fans turn

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I personally thing Bowles is a gonner for 3 reasons:

1) Bowles is NOT a MacCagnan guy. Bowles answers to the owner, not to Macc. All GMs love to bring in their own QB to put their stamp and name on the team.

2) The owner said he would not evaluate Bowles based on wins alone, but more important to how our arrow is pointing up. Our arrow was looking good early when McCown was winning 3 in a row, but the team could not build on this in the 2nd half. In fact the team has taken steps backwards. Losing so baldy to the Broncos, a team that hadn't won in 8 games, was pathetic. We couldn't even manage a total of 100 for the entire game. Arrow was definitely down that game. Now with Petty slinging the rock, the arrow will not rise up this season.

3) Macc is still in contention for getting one of the big 3 or 4 arms coming out this year. Taking a QB in the 1st round is about when you look for a good QB development guy to take over the squad. Bowles has his roots on the D side of the ball and has little clue how to develop a FQB.

3 strikes and your out. Sorry Bowles, we hardly knew ya.

abc, LAJet, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

THIS is hugely problematic for Bowles. He needs a crash course in situational metrics. What's the expected value of punting vs. going for it with X score, Y time, Z down and distance? He lacks curiosity here. That doesn't bode well.

I give a fuck about emotion, but he should look more alert. He has important decisions to make more often than he realizes.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Sad but true:(

abc likes this.
  15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Game manager? Catch that pass and run for a touchdown. Too much talk radio.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

DEAL! I guess I could offer the Jets 1st Round pick for Arizona to take Bowles. Good deal. Oh wait, the Jets get a pick? It really is Christmas!

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I would trade Bowles for a plunger.

#37 playtowinthegame, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    BomberJet likes this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Broken 1st down marker for Turd is a fair exchange

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's done the best job humanly possible with the roster he was given.

The team beat Jacksonville and Kansas City two likely AFC playoff teams this season they had Carolina, Atlanta & New England on the ropes too before losing those games.

Robbie Anderson has developed into one of the game's premiere big play WRs this season.

Coach Bowles has done a rock solid job in 2017. He DESERVES to be back in 2018.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I would agree and disagree.

Guys like Brady, Big Ben, and other top QBs of past and present have certain intangibles and instinct that require no coaching. I would even argue that Chad Pennington had the same intangibles and, had he not been prone to tearing or breaking something every time someone breathed on him too heavily, had the potential to bring us to the Super Bowl.

However, great coaches DO develop QBs, sometimes turning them from a bust to a Hall of Famer. Look at Steve Young; serious bust with the Buccaneers, Walsh sees something in him and brings him to the 49ers, and the rest is history. Look at Vinny Testaverde; bust with Tampa Bay, redeemed to a mediocre-grade starter with the Browns/Ravens, then under Parcells, he brings the Jets their first division title since the Namath era. How about Matt Cassel? Puts up a very respectable year in 2008 with Brady out, then goes to the Chiefs and, without BB, turns into nothing. Look at the Steelers throughout the 90s and early 2000s; under Cowher, they had a string of mediocre QBs with O'Donnell, Tomzak, Stewert and Frazier (and a few others), and yet, they were almost always serious Super Bowl contenders. So I would argue that a good coach certainly has a lot to do with developing a QB.

But, the fact is that almost none of our young players at any positions have developed under Bowles. Mac has drafted players that were universally agreed upon by analysts as good, and even excellent picks. Only Leonard Williams has really amounted to much of anything so far. Bowles neither knows how to develop players, nor how to use veteran players to their strengths.

Do guys like Petty and Hack have a raw talent that just needs the right coach to bring out? Or are they hopeless cases that not even Tomlin or Belechick could save? I don't know. But at the end of the day, the lack of development of the team, as well as a general lack of discipline, sloppy play, and cowardly playcalling should cost Bowles his job. But as I've said before "Not as bad as was expected" is considered success in Jet world, so Bowles will likely be back.